Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,884 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with a kumon school. How much did it cost? Was it worth the money? Can it be done at home? What age were the students that attended?

Here's a link.

Kumon North America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times
My sister did Kumon for Math as a child. I have no idea what it would cost but its a lot of repetition and some memorization, imo it seems like a more traditional way of learning math.

My sister was awesome at math after Kumon, I will definitely look into for my kids when they're a little older.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
On page 7 there is an old thread on Kumon, and there is another one I can't find.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,060 times
My daughter did Kumon in the 7th grade and yes, the memorization worked. It costs in Brooklyn $130 per month. My dd excel in the levels they presented her.

It does not work for every child, you have to know your child. Some students need one on one learning.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Both my kids went to Kumon for a period of time. There are a couple of threads on Kumon under "Parenting" that might be worth reading.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,884 times
Thanks for the cost information Arussell. I did a search but I spelled Kumon wrong. I will look into the other treads that were recommended. Thanks folks!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 68,483 times
Smile Kumon Rocks

Ok Kumon is the best program ever and not a waste of money!
I started wen i waz n 1st grade. Now im n 6th and on level K!
No Lie!!!! So all of u crazies who say its a waste of money ur wrong u repeat becuz u take 2 long or have 2 many mistakes! Its so that u master it! And u get farther if u do it everyday! So take my word! Kumon best program eva!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:06 AM

4 posts, read 84,279 times
Hi!I recommend Beestar.
For us, Kumon is a little expensive and not effective for DD. We sent her there last year, but it seemed that she couldn’t adapt herself to the way they teach students, too much work for her. So we accepted the advice from our neighbor, and started to do the free math in Beestar. She really loves the 10 quick questions and interesting stories. Plus, I also don’t have to drive her to kumon, haha.

[LEFT][LEFT][SIZE=3]Nicole[/SIZE][/LEFT][/LEFT]

Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM

114 posts, read 535,245 times
Default Kumon math

My 23-year old daughter did Kumon math when she was 7 or 8 years old, for about one year. Gosh, Kumon math has been around a long, long time, hasn't it? We were living in Arlington, Virginia at the time and it was presented as an after-school, paid activity (perhaps early evening, if memory serves). She went on to become a very good math student. Her undergraduate and graduate degrees are in English Literature, nothing to do with math, but she did do Standard level Math in her International Baccalaureate program (which is NOT easy). She has always managed to get the math concepts fairly quickly. I don't know if it was because of Kumon but, there you have it, from an old fart!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:59 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vimani View Post
Ok Kumon is the best program ever and not a waste of money!
I started wen i waz n 1st grade. Now im n 6th and on level K!
No Lie!!!! So all of u crazies who say its a waste of money ur wrong u repeat becuz u take 2 long or have 2 many mistakes! Its so that u master it! And u get farther if u do it everyday! So take my word! Kumon best program eva!

Hard to imagine you were under the kumon method with how you spell, Kumon teaches kids and challenges kids, text messaging however, doesnt fall under any of those categories i briefly menthioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education