Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What the NEA wants is only the negatives and none of the positives. Actually, what they want is a military free school entirely. The brain development is a different matter. If that's the case then they should raise the age of legal adult as well as the age to vote. They should also raise the age to drive a motor vehicle.
I don't think they should have a military free school entirely.

As far as the brain development, it is the reason the drinking age is 21. And I never suggested prohibiting 18 year olds from doing anything else. They are old enough that they should be permitted to make mistakes and suffer the consequences. However, the potential mistakes should be limited to smaller ones.

They need to at least get their butts out of mommy and daddy's house and either be in college or working full time for a little while BEFORE enlisting. Their first jump into the adult world shouldn't, IMO, be into the military.

I should also add that I am against excessive coddling.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-05-2009 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:04 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,618 times
Quote:
You have to keep in mind that military does not necessarily mean combat. There are many jobs in the military that never see combat but if those recruiters are kept from the students then they'll never find out about them. I've already agreed that the parents should be involved when a minor is considering the military. But once the kid is 18 if he decides to join without his parents' permission then he has to accept responsibility for his own actions and his parents should let him. Shielding high school students from military recruiters is an effort in futility. If the student is interested in the military then he/she will find out and contact the recruiter. But there are other students who hadn't considered the military but probably would if they'd known about the job prospects they have to offer. I've heard how some teachers and college professors feel about the military so I know how far some are willing to go to prevent a student from talking to a military recruiter. Some have stormed the career booth the recruiters set up on campus. Some get violent. And yet they look upon the military as the violent ones.

Hi Sailordave! I have no problem with military recruiters at high schools. However, todays military is changing and yes, these days, it does mean combat. Constant, longer deployments. New recruits should know and expect that they will see combat. Never, would I recommend todays military for someone who doesn't expect to see combat. I also think post 9/11, antimilitary sentiment has gone way down.

There is no denying that the military is filled with wonderful opportunities.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:19 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
I don't see a problem with military recruiters being in schools. My high school had them as well as ROTC. Students should have many options. The military is one of them.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Sailordave, are you ok with the Peace Corps recruiting at high schools?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Military recruiters on high school campuses should not be any different than college recruiters on high school campuses.

For a senior to be making the choice to go to college, and which one, shouldn't be any more of an option than the military. All options should have equal standing.

If a person is going to drink in the military, he will drink in college. If a person is going to do drugs in the military, he will do the same in college. In fact, drinking is a monumental problem in college. What are the consequences? Nothing. A student can go to class drunk, or skip class altogether. In the military, he wouldn't get away with skipping anything. He would be held accountable.

It's amazing to me that parents would discourage the military and send their little muffins to college to drink and party, then have them move back in and mooch, when they could go into the military, grow up to be accountable adults, get out and go to college and be responsible people.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sailordave, are you ok with the Peace Corps recruiting at high schools?
Yep, no problem with them at all.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
My wife's all for military recruiters in school. Her beef is that everybody and every organization wants to take away from HER class time that she needs to teach her students. If recruiters are part of a career day, that's fine. But today's students are sidetracked by SO many outside events that get in the way of learning what they need to learn in a given class.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
My wife's all for military recruiters in school. Her beef is that everybody and every organization wants to take away from HER class time that she needs to teach her students. If recruiters are part of a career day, that's fine. But today's students are sidetracked by SO many outside events that get in the way of learning what they need to learn in a given class.
I doubt any group would be allowed to take up class time on a regular basis. What admin. needs to do is weed out all the useless things that take kids out of class and sensibly schedule the valuable events.

By HER class time, do you mean the STUDENTS' class time in your wife's class?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I doubt any group would be allowed to take up class time on a regular basis. What admin. needs to do is weed out all the useless things that take kids out of class and sensibly schedule the valuable events. AMEN!!!

By HER class time, do you mean the STUDENTS' class time in your wife's class?
The problem is that there are SO many things, taken together, that cause part of her class on a given day to be absent (field trip for another subject, band, TAG program etc.) Then there's the school-wide stuff that takes up the whole period. She finds herself wishing that the administrators could look at EVERYTHING and see how much total instruction time is lost.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
So on career day you're OK with all other careers being on campus EXCEPT our nation's military. You make it sound like they're some sexual predator that has to be kept away from the children.
You're putting words in my mouth. The high schools here don't have career day, and I already said I wasn't objecting to brochures from whomever. Well, maybe Fred's Rent-a-Preacher Institute or Hooter's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education