Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I work in one of the lower-paid non-blue collar fields (a specialized branch of education), and you'll never hear me complaining about my job. I love it...if I didn't, I wouldn't be doing it. Job satisfaction and pay are not always connected. Particularly if you can, in fact, afford to live on the wage you make, which applies to me.
First of all, love the name!!! Blank slate, huh???

I think the area of education varies depending on where you are. I am also in education and love what I'm doing. I am especialy grateful as our district has lots of money and is growing by leaps and bounds. My raise for next year (cost of living plus one vertical step) is about 8.75%. However, I have a friend who teaches in the Phoenix area whose job was in jeopardy. She just found out she does get a contract for next year but is taking a 2.2% pay cut. Like I said, I'm very happy to be living where I am and am so thankful because so many people in all types of employment (or unemployment as it is) are really struggling. My prayers are with you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
I earned an AA in business administration, BA in social science and MS in education.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I don't think it matters if it's blue or white collar (or in my case, no collar? lol). My company did very well last year, but look at Wyeth (pharma); she's been bought out by Phizer and thousands of scientists are going to be unemployed all over the coast (so I'm told by a few Wyeth scientists). It's scary for all of us, education or not.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
We laid off 10 of 160 employees in November. We don't have any blue collar workers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education