Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

I'll take this opportunity again to suggest that when we are successfully teaching kids English then we can think about adding in second languages. Oh, it would be nice if our kids could compete globally in math and science too, but I'll compromise at learning basic English.

I'm not going to take the time to look it up now but I'd bet all those countries that are teaching multiple languages as a standard in their education program are also outdoing us in not only language but math and science as well. We're missing much more than multiple language programs in our government schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:17 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Foreign Language Requirement in Elementary School

I think it a splendid idea. The devil is in the details.

If you steal, steal from the best. What do the Scandinavians and the Dutch, peoples who are effectively multilingual, do to obtain their skill level? I know they start early.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 PM

436 posts, read 755,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Foreign Language Requirement in Elementary School

I think it a splendid idea. The devil is in the details.

If you steal, steal from the best. What do the Scandinavians and the Dutch, peoples who are effectively multilingual, do to obtain their skill level? I know they start early.
Yes, I agree, they start early. I began teaching my kid early. I am just curious on what methods they use. I don't understand why we don't attempt to emulate successful systems, rather than continue with the same old crud. The amount of money we spend per student here dwarfs that of any other country. You would expect some results.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I believe most European countries require English and either French or German. In Finland I believe they have Finnish, Swedish, English, and their option of the other two. From what I have read, they start English at around third or fourth grade unless I completely forgot.
Correct, third grade.

The swedish starts at 7th grade, but it's a little complicated. It is taught, but not many really take the time to learn it. I passed it with good numbers, even though i hardly understand or speak any swedish, so they don't de facto even expect you to really learn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education