Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times

Advertisements

I had the utmost faith in all four of them who did well in college and worked part-time and are very productive adults. However, Katiana, I know kids who don't take college that seriously when parents pay their way. This is an age where kids think they are entitled and some act accordingly without giving back i.e. working hard. I take what you said as an insult.I was giving my opinion, not talking about MY kids and I have no idea why you pointedly made this a personal attack.

Working didn't hurt them; they knew the seriousness of why they were in college and got good grades to boot. It also helped them to work hard in the jobs they now hold.

Will also add that I've heard kids in college who get very good grade say college was the easiest life they would ever know. Plenty of time for studying and partying. So instead of all that partying, they could be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I had the utmost faith in all four of them who did well in college and worked part-time and are very productive adults. However, Katiana, I know kids who don't take college that seriously when parents pay their way. This is an age where kids think they are entitled and some act accordingly without giving back i.e. working hard. I take what you said as an insult.I was speaking in general, not about MY kids and I have no idea why you pointedly made this a personal attack.

Working didn't hurt them; they knew the seriousness of why they were in college and got good grades to boot. It also helped them to work hard in the jobs they now hold.
Oh calm down. It wasn't meant as a personal attack. Grow a little thicker skin. It seems a little strange for you to say "I don't believe in funding a child's education who might waste it even while attending" if you have no experience regarding same. It is not up to you to decide what other parents should do and what other people's kids motivations are.

I know kids who don't do well in college in all sorts of financial circumstances.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 PM

I have a very thick skin except when it comes to my kids. Hope you feel the same about yours.

And I rest my case per your last line.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I have a very thick skin except when it comes to my kids. Hope you feel the same about yours.

And I rest my case per your last line.
Then you agree with me? My point was, it's not who is paying the bills that makes a kid do well, or not. I have known plenty of exceptions to the notion that if you pay for it, you'll work harder, etc.

I understand your feelings about your kids, similar to mine. I apologize for any offense to them.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 PM

412 posts, read 939,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't seem to have much faith in your kids. We felt that our kids were in college to learn and study, not to work minimum wage jobs. They worked during the summers.
Most of the smarter college students find jobs that allow them to study during downtime. Getting paid to study is always nice. Also, it's smart to get a part-time job in your department. For instance, if you're a science major, you can work as a lab assistant. You get to know the professor well, and it's great experience to put on a resume, which, honestly, is usually much more important than GPA.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 PM

The jobs my kids held offset their tuition. Most, if not all, colleges offer this.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
Most of the smarter college students find jobs that allow them to study during downtime. Getting paid to study is always nice. Also, it's smart to get a part-time job in your department. For instance, if you're a science major, you can work as a lab assistant. You get to know the professor well, and it's great experience to put on a resume, which, honestly, is usually much more important than GPA.
No way! My older daughter's advisor told her the grad schools look mainly at grades and test scores. I wanted to send him a bouquet! If we had told her that, she would have thought we were nuts! You are not going to get a job as a graduate scientist while you are still in college. My other daughter had such a job as you describe; she washed lab equipment. That is hardly a "professional" job. She actually made more money working at a day care center.

At my older daughter's college, you could only get a campus job if you qualified for financial aid.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM

412 posts, read 939,293 times
Quote:
The jobs my kids held offset their tuition. Most, if not all, colleges offer this.
I had jobs through the university, as did some of my friends, and we were just paid by the hour. I guess it was a tuition offset because we could use what we earning to pay for our tuition!

I remember one friend that had to work a few hours a week for the university in order to have her tuition paid for by the government, but I think that was a Pell grant program for low-income families.

Are there different programs now that all students, regardless of family income levels, can use to offset tuition?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 PM

My daughter was an RA, and she was paid money. The idea of offsetting tution, R & B, etc. through work has fallen out of favor. It's more like what skchi said, you get paid, and then you can apply the money to your tution.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I had jobs through the university, as did some of my friends, and we were just paid by the hour. I guess it was a tuition offset because we could use what we earning to pay for our tuition!

I remember one friend that had to work a few hours a week for the university in order to have her tuition paid for by the government, but I think that was a Pell grant program for low-income families.

Are there different programs now that all students, regardless of family income levels, can use to offset tuition?
I don't know because it's been years since my kids graduated. Kids. Should say adult children.

I do know there are cases in which adults have jobs requiring further education and they may work in those jobs without having yet gained the necessary credentials as long as they are acquiring them while working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education