Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times

Advertisements

When my nephew started school, my SIL actually told me she wished he didn't read so much and would take more interest in sports so that he wouldn't become a nerd. From then on, I gave him a book for every Christmas and birthday.

Now he's 10 and doing great in school, but no interest in sports. SIL brags about how great he does...one day I'll have to remind her of her ignorant comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
I grew up in Michigan and was demonized for being smart. It was bad until I went to an "alternative" style high school where being yourself - whether it be smart or musical or whatever - was what was cool. If I had gone to a mainstream high school I strongly suspect I would have dropped out. To this day I still couldn't tell you why being smart made me a pariah, but I know it did. One thing I do remember was that my teacher's daughter was in my year and she wanted to be selected for a pilot program for gifted children that only a handful of kids was selected for. I was selected and she was not. So she used to make up stories about me and tell her mother (my teahcer). So my teacher was against me too. It was horrible.

But as I said I did find alternative education and it saved me. I feel bad for all ther kids out there that didn't have such an outlet.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,378 times
My experience in high school was quite the opposite. With all the competition and pressure of getting into a top college, people at my school tended to look down at those who slacked off.

Some of the smartest people at my school were also the most socially adept and well-liked (by peers and educators alike).

However I am sure situations vary from school to school so I am not too sure if whether my experiences is more of a widespread phenomenon or just local.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:35 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,221 times
I applaud anyone who calls themself a nerd. It means they are a smart, self-actualized individual who knows what is important in life.

I'd take a nerd over a muscled man any day-A brain can provide many things. Muscles are simply aesthetics.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I could not believe how smart children are treated. I graduated in the top five percent of my class and was treated with respect, but my son was beaten up daily in the seventh grade. Different areas have different values. I moved him to a private school where a person was honored for making good grades. Some students had to be put back a year when moving from a public school to this private school, but he did just fine.

He also got many honors when he joined the Navy and put himself through college with the $25,000 scholarship he received for joining and another scholarship he won while attending NC State. No grade below a B is acceptable in our family. Our children don't get paid for A's either. We expected them to make A's.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
because its not part of the dumbing down syndrome and nerds make the losers very uncomfortable.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
One thing I noticed in my travels to Asia is that most students have admiration for the smart kids. Surprisingly, to my experience, the smart kids are usually the popular ones. They don't demonize their smart kids... and stereotype them as nerds? Looking at wikipedia, the term spread throughout the US by the 1960s. What was it like before the 1960s? And how do other countries treat their smart kids?

Does this not worry anyone?
Asians do value academic success and the kids do show greater respect for academic success amongst their peers.

On smart - There are academically successful kids (and adults for that matter) who are morons on many counts outside of academics and some who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

By the same token, there are academically unsuccessful or untrained kids (and adults) who are bright as the brightest crayon in the box and sharp as tacks and who can out think some of their academically trained peers any day of the week.

The "nerd" and teasing of the smartest kids is a form of teen rebellion against authority and teases and/or ostracizes kids who adhere to, get along, go along with with authority, rules and such...sometimes it comes from kids trying to be "cool" and fit into rebellious circles and on a deeper level, it's kids who have mistrust of authority, schools and teachers in particular and /or who've been neglected and abused by the same.

It takes a certain measure of both achievement and humility for kids who excel academically to get along with everybody in the different peer groups in the school.

Athletes are popular. Athletes who get good grades don't get too much flack or problems.

It also has to do with upbringing, role models, what's acceptable and considered the norm in the family, but it can go either way. For example, a son/daughter of well-educated professionals may have greater respect for education, may be pressured to excel OR that child may greatly rebel, depending on how he/she perceives parents or if they're pitiful parents and role models on the home front in spite of their educational and/or career success. It can vary.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdssssssssss!

So anywho, I am glad the video is showing some informative side of what is happening in our public education (nowadays), good thing I stepped up to teach my grandchildren how to read and write before they get into those failed schooling system.
Nerds, nerds, nerds, nerds, nerds.....sorry, having a revenge of the nerds flashback here.

I remember a while back something went around the internet listing all of the money made by a professional athlete, then showing how long it took Bill Gates to earn it. The end was something like "game over. nerds win".

Some kids are shortsighted. The prize is a little further down the line for the smart kids. My 10 yo has told me he wants to get a PhD. I hope he keeps his eyes on that.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
Does this not worry anyone?
Newsflash -- "nerd" hasn't been a derogatory term since about the mid-90s. There's no shame anymore in being called a nerd (or a geek); in fact for most it's a badge of pride. I take great delight in my femgeekness, and when anyone calls me a geek, I thank them.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
because its not part of the dumbing down syndrome and nerds make the losers very uncomfortable.
This is a accurate response. Dumbing down is evident everywhere.
In the 1950s and 60s smart kids were ridiculed as "egg-heads". No one wanted to be one. As some posters already said dumb kids were seldom admired, but same for the smart ones. The level most wanted to be is in the mediocre middle; not dumb, but not too smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education