Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM

442 posts, read 1,572,108 times

Advertisements

I'm a native English speaking person and I'm interested in learning a new language. I'm in my 2nd year of college and the only language I've ever studied is American Sign Language in high school.

I'm trying to learn German at the moment. I assumed, since the vocabulary spelling/sound is similar, this language would be a good starting point in order to ease my way into exploring other foreign languages in the future.

My biggest problem seems to be understanding the syntax of foreign language. And...I guess...just curious as to what's the best way to "attack" learning a new language?

Recently I was reading short excerpts from a book "Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue" which explained that in German, Dutch and similar languages..there are no words such as "did", "do", or "does". They also do not use suffixes such as "-ing", and their nouns (?) are masculine, feminine, or neutral oriented???

Any advice?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM

513 posts, read 1,577,411 times
Don't try to find a "better" way to learn a language. All the supposedly "better" ways you see in the media are lies. There is only one way to learn a new language: persistence, persistence, persistence, persistence And practice, practice, practice, practice.

Syntax is important, but it's far from being the hardest part. You'll know that classes/books are sufficient enough with regard to syntax. But to actually master a language, you need to
1. Build up a decent sized vocabulary, without that, everything else is moot.
2. Read more, listen more, write more and speak to native speakers more.
3. Keep doing it every day, every week and year after year.

When it comes to language learning, there is simply no substitute for boring repetitive practice.

And you need to adjust your expectations, for an adult, unless you're some language geniuses, it's highly highly unlikely you're gonna be able to be as good as native speakers. It's just not a attainable goal for the vast majority of people. So don't expect TOO much.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 PM

412 posts, read 935,948 times
I'm learning French. In my opinion, there isn't a magic bullet that will help you with everything. You basically have to use everything that you can find - classes with a native speaker, beginner (even kids') books, dvds in your target language, and computer software. Most importantly, you have to spend time in a country where your target language is spoken.

Also, you have to devote some time everyday to learning and studying the language.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 AM

706 posts, read 3,754,631 times
The best way to learn a language is to spend time in a place where it's the first language.

Other than that, study, books, CD's, television programs.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 AM

16 posts, read 33,658 times
I would also recommend talking to person who knew the language you are learning too. maybe talking to them in person or if you dont know someone who speak on those language. USe Skype, install it and have a a voice chat with interesting people. Some would love to teach you.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,481,548 times
Take a year abroad, study the language of whatever country you're interested in. There are lots of universities that you can choose from that have overseas language courses.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,052,969 times
My daughter is 15. She has worked on German, Dutch, Italian, French and Portugese, Romanian, and Spanish, and wants to study Urdu. She listens to as much as she possibly can in all of those. She goes on Youtube and listens to music, and talks to as many people as she can find (Her passions are language and psychology.), and seeks out every opportunity for communicating with people from all over the world.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM

339 posts, read 1,166,477 times
If you have difficulty accessing native speakers, try getting some German podcasts to listen to. It doesn't really matter what the subject matter is - just that you listen, listen, listen. I do this for learning chinese. I stick them on my ipod and I can listen to them whether I'm sitting on the train or lying in bed.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,491,134 times
go to the country

Old 04-16-2009, 02:55 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,632,749 times
Look for the book "How to Learn any Language" by Barry Farber; he has lots of good advice, and if nothing else it will be inspiration for those days when you hit a rough spot.

And, like others have said, take advantage of travel or study-abroad opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education