Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A fed-up Texas homeowner has gotten a noise citation issued against his neighbor—an elementary school. Police in suburban Universal City say they had to issue the citation after Butch Armstrong complained about the noise coming from Olympia Elementary School during the school's Family Fitness Day on March 20.

Principal Terri LeBleu says the school had already built a fence, removed loudspeakers and installed noise-reducing backing on basketball goals in response to Armstrong's previous complaints.

Texas elementary school gets noise citation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
Wow, what an idiot. If you want to live somewhere quiet then don't live near a school ffs!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
Sometimes the school moves in after the person has already been living there. I almost bought a house along the edge of a huge wild field. Having a wild natural space next to the house was very appealing. However, as I began walking around the property, I noticed a white sign fastened to a tree that was on the field lot. On closer inspection, I learned that the lot was zoned for 'education'--suggesting to me that months later there could be a school on the property. I didn't buy the house.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
That school has been there since at least 1970 (Classmates.com has alumni listed as early as 1970).

If that idiot moved in more than 40 years ago and is just now being so very offended by children, he has some serious problems. If he moved in AFTER the school was there, he should move or shut his mouth.

It's funny he would say fire sirens, police sirens, ambulance sirens and Air Force training jets are acceptable noise, but a bunch of kids isn't.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
It's like the people who buy a house next to an airport or highway then complain about the noise. They need to buy a clue or move.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I hope the kids get to go outside EVERY DAY from now on and make as much noise as possible. What an idiot. Like someone else said, that school has been there for a LONG time. If he has been there that long himself then he just got old and cranky and needs to go to a home. If he bought it in the last several years knowing the school was there..... good grief. Hey, it is an elementary school. They are only there a little over 170 days out of the year. The rest of the time he has NO NEIGHBORS AT ALL!!! The place is deserted the rest of the time. What a bozo.

If lived by there I'd take my kids up there in the late afternoons, early evenings and weekends and let them run, play and make as much noise as possible.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
There is a state noise level law that all local laws are governed by. That requires a meter reading. Other than that its based on loud and unreasonable in dosorderly conduct. I think the unreasonable would effect this since its a school; just like daytime construction noise verus the same noise at night.They might have done this to have a court settle the thiong once and for all;knowing that a decibel reading has to be proven.Last i knew it was like 59 decibels which is pretty noisy and it has to be taken at the residence site.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There is a state noise level law that all local laws are governed by. That requires a meter reading. Other than that its based on loud and unreasonable in dosorderly conduct. I think the unreasonable would effect this since its a school; just like daytime construction noise verus the same noise at night.They might have done this to have a court settle the thiong once and for all;knowing that a decibel reading has to be proven.Last i knew it was like 59 decibels which is pretty noisy and it has to be taken at the residence site.
Well, if he thinks the fighter jets and all the sirens are "reasonable" noise, and an elementary school isn't, my guess is, he isn't thinking decibels.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Well, if he thinks the fighter jets and all the sirens are "reasonable" noise, and an elementary school isn't, my guess is, he isn't thinking decibels.
LOL!!!
I don't think he is thinking at all. At least not with a fully baked brain.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
cut him some slack--the school has obviously had problems with outside noise being a problem--read what it has done to minimize the sound in the past--
what it should do on days like Field Day is just pay for the man/wife to go someplace nice for the day--
Field day usually starts about 9 and is over 30 min or so before the kids go home from school...
surely there is someplace he could go for the day so he would not be there...
if the noise is EVERY day--then I think the school probably has a large number of students outside at the same time...don't know how many...
but there are schools I would not want to be next door neighbors to--
I googled a map of that school---the area where field day probably happens backs up to a short street with houses whose yards are directly adjacent to part of the school's open property...

there is also a large shopping mall about two blocks away and I-35--so sitting outside there could be noise from traffic but that is not all the transient noises that the homeowner can hear...

According to a police report, Armstrong told an officer that "police, fire, ambulances and the (Air Force) training jets are not unreasonable, but the noise coming from the elementary school was."
Probably because the school noise is closer and of protracted duration...will be interesting to know if his neighbors who likely are parents of same children in the school start TPing his house and do other things to cause him pain...

Last edited by loves2read; 04-18-2009 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education