U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,341 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend was homeschooled until 11th grade but he did not graduate.
Now he is trying desperately to get a job but he's not sure what he should put for schooling on applications. So far he has only written "home school" but has gotten no calls back. Any suggestions for what he should use on applications? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,981,634 times
Not any help for a job now, but he should look into getting a GED.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 AM

2,838 posts, read 9,292,532 times
How did he not graduate? Do you mean that he finished all of his work before he was 17/18, the year that would have been his junior year if he had gone to school? That would mean that he graduated early, and should write "Smith Homeschool", and for "did you graduate?" he should write "yes."

Or do you mean that he was doing an online or correspondence school, and he never finished the last year? If that is the case, then he s hould write "Clonlara School" and "no" for "did you graduate?"

He could look into getting a GED, but finishing a homeschool program, even a year early, constitutes graduation.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,341 times
His mother homeschooled him until what would normally be his 8th grade if he went to a normal school. When she died, his father was forced to continue with his homeschooling. The year that he would have been a junior had he gone to a normal school, he stopped home schooling (as in, just stopped doing the work and never finished).

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,329,326 times
If he is looking to work at a minimum wage job, he can probably lie and say yes he graduated from the local high school. McDonalds probably won't double check. But in reality, that is going to catch up with him sooner or later. He really needs to enroll in night school classes to get a GED. If he wants go get a real job he needs to go to a Jr college or tech college. They will require proof of GED. If he is smart, he should be able to ace it. If he is stupid, what are you doing with him?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM

1,444 posts, read 3,749,853 times
Just my opinion, but I'm not inclined to respond helpfully to someone whose forum ID is so off-putting....

Old 05-13-2009, 12:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,949,511 times
Not to sound rude, but if he doesn't finish school or get a GED he isn't going to get far in life..

As for a job right now. It isn't just him, it is everyone who can't get hired.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,290,381 times
^ I agree with the above post. It sounds like he was unfortunate, but I think his best bet is going to be to get that GED. And, like thegirlinaz says, it's tough for anyone to get a job right now. There is undoubtedly a huge line of people with high school degrees, GEDs, even college degrees, or, depending on field, technical degrees, and he's realistically going to be at the very back of the line. For both his short-term as well as long-term prospects he's best off trying to get the GED, signing up for some other classes or training, and doing whatever it takes to make up for time lost due to his bad luck and poor decisions.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,095,886 times
Most homeschool parents have a plan about what to do in this type of event. The remaining parent's duty would be to feed, clothe and house said child. Nothing wrong with enrolling them in HS, online HS, private school, hiring a tutor, or setting him up to finish up with getting his GED. In the event either one of us were to parish, public school here our children come...but don't think we wouldn't fight for proper grade placement. (ability vs age) I would honestly probably would find a family member to live with me while I worked nights and taught during the day and slept in the in evenings but my husband's business would be too demanding for him to be able to do that.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 PM

901 posts, read 2,768,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeYouChoke View Post
My boyfriend was homeschooled until 11th grade but he did not graduate.
Now he is trying desperately to get a job but he's not sure what he should put for schooling on applications. So far he has only written "home school" but has gotten no calls back. Any suggestions for what he should use on applications? Thanks.
How old is he? Why can't he enroll in high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education