Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times

Advertisements

Well done. It's a shame few journalists do this kind of research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_htSPGAY7I

Old 08-23-2016, 12:07 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
John Oliver is talking to his audience of upper-middle-class white liberals who live in great districts or can send their kids to private school if they choose.

Most people who use charter schools are working-class inner city dwellers who would not otherwise have a choice of schools.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 PM

78,424 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
John Oliver is talking to his audience of upper-middle-class white liberals who live in great districts or can send their kids to private school if they choose.

Most people who use charter schools are working-class inner city dwellers who would not otherwise have a choice of schools.
^^^There is some big truth to this. I went to college with a host of kids from Chicago "charter schools" or "magnet schools" or whatever you want to call them.

Especially funny since most of the European education system works by skimming off students into the trades etc. as they progress in education. Much of their education system is a charter school style affair.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Everyone has a choice. If you don't like where you live, move. If you want to pay for private or homeschool, do it. Or you can do what just about all of us do which is get involved to make your school district better. I live in a middle class district, can't afford an upper middle class white one and that's what I do.

Charters are not magical. They merely skim the easiest to educate kids from the public schools and then chant that they are better. Use that money to reach at risk kids and you'll help the neighborhood schools right there.

I'd think even charter supporters would be concerned about the lack of oversight and the fraudulent waste going on.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^There is some big truth to this. I went to college with a host of kids from Chicago "charter schools" or "magnet schools" or whatever you want to call them.

Especially funny since most of the European education system works by skimming off students into the trades etc. as they progress in education. Much of their education system is a charter school style affair.
Magnets are public schools that are still overseen by the district and taxpayers whereas charters are not. Charters are private businesses running on public dollars...and false advertising.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Everyone has a choice. If you don't like where you live, move. If you want to pay for private or homeschool, do it.
You're still talking to well-off white people. Inner city Single Moms and inner city grandparents raising at-risk kids while Single Mom is dealing with the legal and/or mental health systems can't "just move", can't "just pay for private", and can't "just homeschool".

I don't think charter schools are a panacea, but I've seen plenty of at-risk poor kids who have stayed in school because of charter schools. They won't go to Harvard but they may take a few courses at community college, and will probably get steady jobs as medical techs or office assistants.

Quote:
Charters are not magical. They merely skim the easiest to educate kids from the public schools and then chant that they are better. Use that money to reach at risk kids and you'll help the neighborhood schools right there.
Right, use that money to reach at-risk kids. If it's so easy to do in the traditional public school setting, why didn't they just do it? Why is that only brought up when charter schools present competition?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-23-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 PM

358 posts, read 711,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Everyone has a choice. If you don't like where you live, move. If you want to pay for private or homeschool, do it. Or you can do what just about all of us do which is get involved to make your school district better. I live in a middle class district, can't afford an upper middle class white one and that's what I do.

I'd think even charter supporters would be concerned about the lack of oversight and the fraudulent waste going on.
It's a noble idea, but it has largely proven to be ineffective.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
You're still talking to well-off white people. Inner city Single Moms and inner city grandparents raising at-risk kids while Single Mom is dealing with the legal and/or mental health systems can't "just move", can't "just pay for private", and can't "just homeschool".

I don't think charter schools are a panacea, but I've seen plenty of at-risk poor kids who have stayed in school because of charter schools. They won't go to Harvard but they may take a few courses at community college, and will probably get steady jobs as medical techs or office assistants.

Right, use that money to reach at-risk kids. If it's so easy to do in the traditional public school setting, why didn't they just do it? Why is that only brought up when charter schools present competition?

Because it's not easy. Charter schools pull the kids who want to learn out leaving the others with even less. There is no easy answer.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-23-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Charters are not competition. They are not equal. Charter deal with easy kids to educate while traditional schools have to take everyone including ones the charters toss out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
It's a noble idea, but it has largely proven to be ineffective.

No it hasn't been tried. Public schools were never given the funding to deal with those specific kids. People use those situations as excuse to further defund neighborhood schools. All charter schools have done is what people in traditional schools have been suggesting for years.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-23-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
[/b]

Because it's not easy. Charter schools pull the kids who want to learn out leaving the others with even less. There is no easy answer.
If areas with a high amount of at risk kids want to pool the kids easy to educate, then you have magnets which are still overseen by the public. Charters don't have to open their books for the taxpayer which leads to abuses like those pointed out. It also gives the false impression that they are working miracles which they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education