Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:01 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I was watching the National Spelling Bee on Television last night and noticed a few things about the kids who were participating. Many of their families were from India and others were complete nerds. I could see them getting beat up after school or not having any friends.

The impression many adults have about people over 20 who have a real high IQ is they lack common sense and social skills. Many are perceived as just plain weird. Is this true in the high school or college level also? How were the kids who were the top of their class? Did they have any friends or social skills? Did they have any emotional intelligence, or ability to handle life's challenges?
Well atleast here in my district alot of gifted children dont have to much of a problem lacking common sense or social skills because their are alot of gifted children in my district. The students at the top of the class are amongst the most socialble students in the class also. Emotional intelligence their might be a few. As far as handling life's challenges they are definetly ready to hit the ground running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I think Asian kids and adults are great but they seem to lack the social skills that is needed in some careers and life situations.
My guess is that if they took the average CD poster and put him/her in a workplace or school in Asia, the locals would think the same thing. It's an immigrant-in-a-new-culture thing.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:46 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,999 times
I was one of the smartest kids in my school...and if you look at my standardized testing scores, I could say I'm one of the smartest kids in the country (though, I don't really think standardized tests scores are worth their weight in dung).

My social skills were pretty much on par with my peers through middle school until I got to high school. This quote explains why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Studies have shown that gifted children often have a hard time fitting in with their peers, partially because they have a heightened sense of morality and sensitivity. For example, they would be reticent to stoop to use the term "nerd" to describe someone for fear of hurting the other person's feelings. HTH
It wasn't that I had bad social skills. Its just that I wasn't into the immature (in my opinion) things that other high schoolers were into.
Though, I must admit, by the time I got situated in high school and found my group of friends (all extremely smart) we all got into our fair share of immature trouble, from skipping class/school to pulling pranks (especially on teachers and administration). There's a reason for our behavior (not a justification) but thats for another thread..

Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
This foreigner likes what she's reading here very much!
and wishes there had been a spelling bee contest in her country during her school days.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I was one of the smartest kids in my school...and if you look at my standardized testing scores, I could say I'm one of the smartest kids in the country
No offense, but I think these type of student proclamations may be one of the reasons why some of "the smart kids" are seen as having poor social skills...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-30-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
The "Smartest Kids" are the ones you see in the news who graduated from college when they were 12 years old.

They don't have any social life and probably never will, unless trying to teach Quantum Physics to their Teddy Bear counts.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
No offense, but I think these type of student proclamations may be one of the reasons why some of "the smart kids" are seen as having poor social skills...

...did you read the rest of that very same sentence?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Well atleast here in my district alot of gifted children dont have to much of a problem lacking common sense or social skills because their are alot of gifted children in my district. The students at the top of the class are amongst the most socialble students in the class also. Emotional intelligence their might be a few. As far as handling life's challenges they are definetly ready to hit the ground running.

Good to hear!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
...did you read the rest of that very same sentence?

I did. Could it qualify as "smart a**" ?

I can relate.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education