Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,473,482 times

Advertisements

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio school district says it uncovered a cheating scheme so pervasive that it had to cancel graduation ceremonies for its 60 seniors — but will still mail their diplomas.

A senior at Centerberg High School accessed teachers' computers, found tests, printed them and distributed them to classmates, administrators said.

Ohio school cancels graduation over cheating - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM

223 posts, read 530,090 times
Uggg.....kids just don't get it. I can't tell you how many times I have caught kid's cheating, and had to explain to them you were cheating and that is a zero. They will just look at you, and be shocked that looking at another's students paper is cheating. Unfortunately it is HUGE problem in schools, and I can't believe that the kids's in the story above got away with it for so long. Shame on the teacher for not keeping a better eye out. The next generation scares me.......

Old 06-08-2009, 02:32 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,845,870 times
Cheating has become the American way of life. Every level of out society sees success at the price of cheating as acceptable behavior. I guess these kids are off to a good start.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:43 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,002,594 times
Cheating is bad, yes. But what the hell is up with schools trying to cancel graduation ceremonies? It always ends the same way. Someone contacts the press, people point out how wrong it is to cancel ceremonies cause of a few bad kids and then the school submits to their bad press and lets the ceremonies continue.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,773,529 times
Quote:
one student who used the test still failed.
haha!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,178,553 times
Some parents angry about the cancellation are organizing an unofficial graduation ceremony.
Jeanette Lamb, whose son is a senior at the school, asked the Centerburg School Board to reconsider its decision to cancel graduation. The board declined.
"At that point I did tell them that commencement would continue, it will be at the park, I will put it together and their presence wasn't welcome," Lamb told WTVN radio in Columbus. Lamb said parents and members of the community have offered help.

Nobody has ever been scarred for life by missing their graduation. Frankly, if I were the parent of one of these graduating seniors, I'd want to know why my child stood by and said/did nothing when there was a cheating scheme this widespread.

Good values you're demonstrating there, parents of Centerburg-- entitlement over ethics.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 AM

45,073 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Hey, what did folks expect when we went to "cooperative learning"?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 AM

703 posts, read 2,937,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Some parents angry about the cancellation are organizing an unofficial graduation ceremony.
Jeanette Lamb, whose son is a senior at the school, asked the Centerburg School Board to reconsider its decision to cancel graduation. The board declined.
"At that point I did tell them that commencement would continue, it will be at the park, I will put it together and their presence wasn't welcome," Lamb told WTVN radio in Columbus. Lamb said parents and members of the community have offered help.

Nobody has ever been scarred for life by missing their graduation. Frankly, if I were the parent of one of these graduating seniors, I'd want to know why my child stood by and said/did nothing when there was a cheating scheme this widespread.

Good values you're demonstrating there, parents of Centerburg-- entitlement over ethics.

AGREED! Who cares! It's only a high school graduation. Anyone can graduate high school with minimum efforts. I just don't understand why graduating from high school is a cause for celebration. Congratulations, you've met the bare minimum of being classified with the term "educated". Whoopee?!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM

174 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hey, what did folks expect when we went to "cooperative learning"?
BINGO! This is exactly the problem.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM

4,962 posts, read 10,633,768 times
I have no idea what "cooperative learning" is but, much as I loathe cheating, I think that it is symptomatic of a larger problem--reliance on test scores and extracurriculars by colleges when evaluating potential candidates, as well as a lack of character education. When was the last time a college accepted someone for being ethical? People assume ethics is a given. But in a teenager's mind, there is a huge incentive to cheat--assuming you don't get caught--b/c it yields positive results.

Furthermore, it's disturbing how many other kids accepted and participated with this student's unethical behavior, and that they were performing so poorly that they needed to cheat. IMHO, these kids were feeling the pressure of "making the grade" and decided to do what they needed to do in order to succeed--a philosophy ("Do whatever it takes") I have heard spoken over and over again in our society as a positive refrain. As a society, we have placed a very high premium on success, and virtually ignored character and ethics. When was the last time you saw someone make a million or be rewarded in any way for being ethical?

If we teach our kids to do "whatever it takes," then that's exactly what they'll do. And of course they're going to be shocked when they are reprimanded; they have no idea they are doing anything wrong b/c they're only focus is to "succeed." How frightening is THAT?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education