Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times

Advertisements

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I'm 24, and we didn't have these when I was growing up. I guess it's become popular in the last decade. We had award ceremonies, but the only graduation was high school (and of course college).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:27 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Default Depends on the circumstances

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
How about HS graduations where Everyone gets to walk... diplomas are sent out later (for logistical reasons) but not everyone walking actually graduates!?!?!?!?
I would say it depends on the circumstances. My youngest son had a classmate who was also an honor student, but because of a screw-up in the "Guidance Office", finished his 12th grade year being 1/4 credit (one-half of a semester of an academic class) short of the quantity necessary for graduation. He was not allowed to walk at commencement! The Guidance Office allowed his enrollment in multiple Band Classes during his Junior & Senior years where he received only 1/2 credit for a full year rather than the one credit per year earned in an academic studies classroom.

I feel he should have been allowed to walk with his classmates at Commencement, but not receive his diploma until he successfully completed the necessary credit in summer school. Most/Many/All colleges and universities have such a rule.

Alternately, I feel the students who have earned substantially less than the required minimum of credits after their Senior year, (but more than the number necessary to be considered a Junior) should not be allowed to walk at Commencement. But where should the school set the limit? 1/2 credit short? One credit short? Two credits?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I would say it depends on the circumstances. My youngest son had a classmate who was also an honor student, but because of a screw-up in the "Guidance Office", finished his 12th grade year being 1/4 credit (one-half of a semester of an academic class) short of the quantity necessary for graduation. He was not allowed to walk at commencement! The Guidance Office allowed his enrollment in multiple Band Classes during his Junior & Senior years where he received only 1/2 credit for a full year rather than the one credit per year earned in an academic studies classroom.

I feel he should have been allowed to walk with his classmates at Commencement, but not receive his diploma until he successfully completed the necessary credit in summer school. Most/Many/All colleges and universities have such a rule.

Alternately, I feel the students who have earned substantially less than the required minimum of credits after their Senior year, (but more than the number necessary to be considered a Junior) should not be allowed to walk at Commencement. But where should the school set the limit? 1/2 credit short? One credit short? Two credits?
Wow. Blame the school entirely for that one. Looking at his schedule at the beginning of senior year they should have caught that one.
I was referring to marginal students, scraping by... then they fail at the end, no surprise, yet walk.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As far as "recognizing the transition", don't middle schools have awards ceremonies and the like? That's where they can all meet together, talk about the achievement, and recognize academic, arts, and sports honors. But they don't need to milk the parents for a few hundred on a silly cap & gown, for the privelege!
I'm not taking exception to the opposition to "cap & gown" type ceremonies, but one nice thing in my view of doing something more than the typical middle school award ceremony is this is an opportunity for parents to participate too. The awards assemblies are typically students only.

And as for "a few hundred on a silly cap & gown" - I don't know where your kids went to school, but I never had to spend anything close to that on my kids' high school graduation cap & gown.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
We had one in 5th grade and it was just fun, no big deal. In no way did it take away from our high school graduation. They were nothing alike. The one in 5th grade was in the elementary school auditorium and high school was at Cameron Indoor Stadium. There were no cap and gowns, just awards. If they are having graduations in high school before your actual graduation, then that I would find silly.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Maybe we should save graduation just for people getting their PhD's.

If you are moving from elementary to middle to high school I can see the sense in a graduation ceremony. You are moving up to the next step in your education.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 AM

519 posts, read 982,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
It is a bit ridiculous IMO to see pre-k kids in caps and gowns "graduating". I think it does take away from the big graduation ceremonies later in life. I can see 8th grad graduations and, of course, high school graduations, but pre-k, kindy and 5th grade? No.
I had a kindergarten graduation. There were no caps and gowns though. If I am not mistaken, we did a few skits and songs for all the parents. It was just a little event so we could get our diplomas. That was almost 30 years ago.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Graduation ceremonies for preschool and other non 12 th grades are usually money making ventures when the school gets a cut on the caps and gowns. It is a joke of course and so inappropriate. I refused to let our daughters participate. Besides making money for the schools, I think it is more for parents and grandparents but rememberr we are living in a society where everybody gets an award, everybody is a winner and nobody leaves without feeling "special". No wonder we have generations full of "kids" with serious entitlement issues.
It's the "Gold Star" mentality. IMHO, the kids with the serious entitlement issues are that way because of the parents, grandparents, and even teachers who have done all the things you mentioned.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
This reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's speech he gave when he was given some Comedian Award by HBO - he ripped on the ridiculous over-abundance of such awards and how they have lost their meaning due to it. I'm not his biggest fan, but it was both funny and rang so true.
Yet notice how Seinfeld was at the event and accepted the award.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,334 times
I had an 8th grade graduation. Over 30 years ago! I don't feel entitled to anything I don't earn. It's not new, and if you don't want to participate, don't...but don't rag on people who want to. I know a couple of people who lost their children during high school, so 8th grade graduation is a milestone that they now cherish. Good grief...getting upset over an event for your children? How many of you celebrate lasting a week at work by swilling a bottle of wine? That's different though, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education