Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times

Advertisements

OK so I am a little annoyed. My daughters are in elementary school... thin and beautiful. They eat leafy greens, I don't bring cookies into the house and they play sports and don't drink sodas or junk..... My youngest is on the borderline for being considered overwt according to BMI but when you LOOK at her there is no way in heck she is! When I tell people they all roll their eyes and say there is no way. Even her Pediatrician told me not to put too much stock in it because it is obviously rediculous for her since she is NOT overweight at all. Her school nurse is even annoyed she is going to have to report it to the State! I don't put any weight in BMI personally.... I wear a size 4/6 and am considered overweight according to my BMI!!!! What I am 5ft 3.5 inches tall and a my size 6 pants are too big.... and according to BMI I am overweight. I think BMI is a load of bull.... yet GOV Patterson is making the schools report it to the State.... I think it is total insanity.... BMI is a total joke and to have the kids report it to the STATE I can understand if a kid is FAT and unhealthy but seriously? Why BMI? My daughter is not FAT or overweight! Why not report FAT overwt kids? This is so wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
what are you worried they will do?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
what are you worried they will do?
I think the bigger question is why do they want to know? It's quite simply not anyone's business if her kids are fat (or not).

Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,375 times
The state is totally overstepping its bounds. Why would they want that information?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
The state is totally overstepping its bounds. Why would they want that information?
EXACTLY! Not only that... my child is not over weight.... why does big brother need this information through the schools??? What are they going to do with this information?????

Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
I agree that it's not something that should be reported to the state, but to play devil's advocate, you can be sure there are people blaming childhood obesity on the schools.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,156 times
They recorded BMI in school when my kids were in 4th and I think 5th grade, and we received a report during the summer from the state department of education on the results. The teacher actually made an error in measuring my daughters height and put her down at a little over 2 inches shorter than she actually was, and her BMI result indicated she was just over the line into overweight. Had she recorded the correct height, the results would have been different (in the normal range). I just tossed out the report.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Why not report FAT overwt kids?
Why should fat kids be reported?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
Why should fat kids be reported?
I was being a smart a$# annoyed parent...sorry.... my daughter is thin and her BMI does not reflect anything about her bodytype is what I am saying... it is BOGUS! That is all.... the whole thing is BOGUS.....

Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
I'm guessing that these reports go into a database and just stay there. Strange, maybe even stupid but it's not as if someone is going to storm your house and demand diets for all. I would do like twins4lynn did and toss it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education