Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 PM

14 posts, read 84,360 times

Advertisements

http://www.wmtw.com/education/19763059/detail.html
STANDISH, Maine -- Justin Denney's family watched on as he ascended the Cumberland County Civic Center stage during graduation Friday night to accept his diploma, but the superintendent told him to return to his seat.
A High School graduation is a day to celebrate, not be denied a diplomia for taking a bow and blowing a kiss to your family as you walk across the stage. What is this world coming to?

Last edited by candypop; 06-18-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Also from the article...

Quote:
She stole his once-in-a-lifetime dream of graduating high school with pride and honor and she squashed it and left him feeling humiliated in front of the entire high school."
I suspect that expectations for conduct at the ceremony were discussed at length before the event. If that's the case, then he has nobody to blame but himself. Actions have consequences, and he's learning that lesson the hard way.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Also from the article...

I suspect that expectations for conduct at the ceremony were discussed at length before the event. If that's the case, then he has nobody to blame but himself. Actions have consequences, and he's learning that lesson the hard way.
Sorry, I disagree. Whenever there is a case of rules versus discretion, context, flexibility, and a mature perspective are all required. Arbitrary lines drawn in the sand are technically the governing rules/laws, however when to enforce must be done with good judgment and the required elements discussed above.

This is one step closer to Big Brother and a country of automons and lemmings. No thanks. Freedom brings responsibility not mindless application. The Consitutional framers though as much and would be appalled by this case.

Let this principal go back to counting beans, where her unbelievable lack of discretion need not be a liability.

S.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Expectations of appropriate conduct aren't anything new. I graduated nearly 25 years ago, and my high school also prohibited any theatrics. Somehow, my classmates and I managed to restrain ourselves. I'm all in favor of exercising a mature perspective, and I find many zero-tolerance policies excessive; however, I should hope a soon-to-be graduate has the self control necessary to abide by the rules for a couple of hours. If he can't, I fear for his future.

Since you brought up the framers of our Constitution and what they might think of this situation, please allow me to direct you to this link of George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation. As you'll most certainly recall, Washington was the first signer of our Constitution.

I submit the following selections in particular for your consideration and humbly ask if you truly believe that our esteemed first President would agree that the student in question behaved with suitable decorum. Given Washington's perspective as demonstrated in these writings, I suspect he would sympathize with the administration.

Quote:
1. Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present.

19. Let your Countenance be pleasant but in Serious Matters Somewhat grave.

20. The Gestures of the Body must be Suited to the discourse you are upon.

47. Mock not nor Jest at any thing of Importance break [n]o Jest that are Sharp Biting and if you Deliver any thing witty and Pleasant abstain from Laughing thereat yourself.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-19-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 05:17 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote: 1. Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present. Unquote

That pretty much sums up my honest opinion about the whole thing.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:38 AM

853 posts, read 4,037,828 times
There are two pieces of this that seem important.

One, were the rules clear or open to interpretation? For example, if the rule was no fooling around on stage, then that is open to interpretation, and the student could have justifiably thought his action were appropriate.

The second issue to me however is how they handled it. Even if the student clearly broke a rule, I do not think they needed to humiliate him in public like that (compliment in public, criticize in private). They could have let him finish, and if it looked like others were starting to follow suit, they could have just reminded the group of the rules.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candypop View Post
Teen Denied Diploma Tells Story - Education News Story - WMTW Portland
STANDISH, Maine -- Justin Denney's family watched on as he ascended the Cumberland County Civic Center stage during graduation Friday night to accept his diploma, but the superintendent told him to return to his seat.
A High School graduation is a day to celebrate, not be denied a diplomia for taking a bow and blowing a kiss to your family as you walk across the stage. What is this world coming to?

That is pretty ignorant. I'm thinking they need a new superintendent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education