Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 81,206 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am very happy to have chanced on this website to post my queries and concerns. My 2nd grader was screened for CogAT, NNAT and didnt quite make the pool. I think as a mother I didnt do enough to prep her for these tests, if I did she probably would have had a better chance to make it.
The more I think about it, the more guilty I feel, that I didnt do enough. She will be in 3rd grade next year and I would like to know what I can do to get her to qualify for GT school.
Will they have these tests again in 3rd grade? If not are there other options.
Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,289 times
Mine was tested for GT and we didn't prep. I don't see how you can prep a child for this. My son's school takes kids who are in the top 2% on i.q. scores.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Does your school system re-test in 3rd grade? She may also be able to be recommended by her teacher next year. You could mention it at a conference. Don't be a pest about that, though. Don't bring it up at Back to School Night, there's not enough time then for an individual conference. I agree with Lizzy about the prep.
Where my kids went to school my oldest daughter was put into GT due to English/writing. Two year later the indicators were changed to Math so her brother got in (wouldn't have if it had been English). Next daughter five years later was recommended in, intake tests had been ditched by then. Current 12 year old is happy being in regular classes, though he's bored, his grades aren't good enough to get in.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
You should be able to re-test.

The only "prep" we did is talk about relaxing and doing his best. The diagnostician was concerned my son might freeze up with test anxiety (he is really anxious and a perfectionist and can lock up if he either does not know the answer or starts to have a difficult time) and she was not allowed to help him in any way, including relaxing - she had to remain 100% impartial during the testing so that no one could complain that she was favoring certain children.

Other than that, I am not sure what prep can be done. He had, if I remember correctly, the WISC and the Weschler?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GirlzMom View Post
Hello,

I am very happy to have chanced on this website to post my queries and concerns. My 2nd grader was screened for CogAT, NNAT and didnt quite make the pool. I think as a mother I didnt do enough to prep her for these tests, if I did she probably would have had a better chance to make it.
The more I think about it, the more guilty I feel, that I didnt do enough. She will be in 3rd grade next year and I would like to know what I can do to get her to qualify for GT school.
Please help.
Truly GT kids do not need to be prepped in order to qualify. They qualify because they have a natural aptitude. If you "push" your child into a GT program and she does not belong there she will be miserable.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,159,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GirlzMom View Post
Hello,

Please help.
Hi, 2GirlzMom,

What I'm going to say, please take with a grain of salt because the only thing I know about you is what you've said about yourself and your situation. You know more about your situation than I do, so please accept what I'm saying with this in mind.

It's always difficult when parents of bright, interested kids test for a GT or GATE program and don't make it in. It's unfortunate, because somewhere, someone has to draw a line and say "Yes on this side, no on this one." It's arbitrary-ish in that a child of (let's say) 129 I.Q. will have many of the same needs as a child who tests at 130. Unfortunately, as I said, you have to draw a line somewhere.

I'm very concerned, though, about your statement that you "prepped" your child for these tests. Obviously, I can understand (and highly approve of) prepping for tests which assess content area knowledge -- that is, reviewing the importance of 1492, 1776, etc. for a history exam.

However, the CogAt and NNAT aren't tests of content-area knowledge; they're tests of reasoning. By prepping for them, your child probably became more test-wise, which is helpful to raise a score, but what I'm sure you certainly realize is that raising a test score isn't the same as needing accommodation.

Bottom line, special programs -- GATE, special ed, translators for deaf children, ESL -- those are all there for kids who need accommodation, whose needs (not wants) are not sufficiently met within the regular classroom.

Of course, as I said above, I don't have all the facts. You know more than I do, naturally, about your own situation, but what remains is that if your child needed (at least in your opinion) to be prepped for the test, then that suggests to me that you weren't sure she would meet the requirements of the GT program without the prepping. In that case, please understand why I wouldn't be convinced she needs the program.

I realize that the perception of GT programs is that they somehow provide a "better" education than the one available in the regular classroom. That depends on how you define "better." If I have a child with a size 3 foot, then a size 2 shoe is not going to fit well. A size 3 shoe will be "better." The same is true of a GT program -- or it should be. Often, it's the only possible accommodation for kids who are genuinely so far removed from the norm that serving them in a regular classroom may not really be that possible.

I'm not talking about a child who's doing well for her or his grade. I'm not even talking about a child who's doing well for the next grade ahead. Generally speaking -- with some exceptions, of course -- those folks are for the most part definitely well-served in the regular classroom because they'll generally find school rewarding. They'll know the answers.

The gifted kids most in need of accommodation are several grades ahead. They're the ones who point out that yes, you *can* subtract 7 from 5. They're the ones who don't just know the answers; they're the ones asking questions the teacher can't answer. Bottom line, if what you're saying is the case, prepping a child to do temporarily well on a test so that she can get into a GT school isn't morally right. Potentially, that takes one slot away from a child who may genuinely need that accommodation, not just want it. To do so would be similar, ethically speaking, to claiming you have a disability in order to get special accommodations.

Again, I'm only going on the very, very limited data you've presented. If your child genuinely needs accommodation, one of the very best ways to accomplish that is to advocate for subject- or grade-level acceleration. Despite parental and administrative fears, grade-skipping has been proven time and again to be an effective method of meeting the academic (and social) needs of students whose academic abilities cannot be met in the regular classroom. There is also the possibility of homeschooling or distance learning, both of which allow a parent to challenge a child and teach her at her level of challenge.

I wish you and your child well in your endeavors.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:50 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,363 times
Seriously, as a teacher and also the parent of a gifted child, I say what difference does it make whether she is in the program or not? You know she is bright, so several weeks after school starts set up a conference with her teacher about how you and the school can work together to meet her special needs. If there are programs at her school like Reading Counts, Accelerated Reading, etc. encourage her to participate as much as she can in those. They'll keep her reading at her own level. Get her into programs outside of school which will challenge her, like piano lessons, special art classes or if she seems athletic, some sports programs. Girl Scouts would be another option as they have all kinds of programs set up for the girls to work hard to earn badges. All those things will contribute to challenging a bright child. When she gets to middle and high school you and she can work together with her teachers to choose the most appropriate classes as kids do not have to qualify for GT in order to take advanced classes. We staffed our own DD at the beginning of third grade, as she was tested right after she finished second grade. She was in the program for about six weeks before we pulled her out. She was very unhappy being in a room with kids who had for the most part been together since at least first grade and who were at the same academic level as she is or higher. It was difficult for her and she was miserable. We decided she would be better off happy and at the top of the class in general ed than miserable being challenged at her own academic level. She is also in Girl Scouts, softball, piano and children's choir at church and she seems to be a very happy child. So honestly, I wouldn't give the fact that she didn't qualify another thought.

Nancy

Old 06-30-2009, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 81,206 times
Thank you all for your responses! They have clarified my doubts immensely. Charles Wallace and BioAdoptMom3(Nancy), thanks for the detailed post. Appreciate it!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:14 PM

22,555 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Truly GT kids do not need to be prepped in order to qualify. They qualify because they have a natural aptitude. If you "push" your child into a GT program and she does not belong there she will be miserable.

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education