Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

The registration packet arrived in the mail. In it is a permission slip that gives the school to perform a random drug test on my child at the whim of the school administration.

For the record, we don't do drugs. No way, no how. What's more, my wife and I are worldly enough to know if our kids were doing drugs. I also know the contents of my liquor cabinet down to the fluid ounce.

So where does the school think it has the right to simply perform random tests on my children? If the school has probably cause enough to be concerned about my child, they can contact me and I'll have a drug test performed forthwith.

Who would sign away their rights like this? Have we all become sheep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The registration packet arrived in the mail. In it is a permission slip that gives the school to perform a random drug test on my child at the whim of the school administration.

For the record, we don't do drugs. No way, no how. What's more, my wife and I are worldly enough to know if our kids were doing drugs. I also know the contents of my liquor cabinet down to the fluid ounce.

So where does the school think it has the right to simply perform random tests on my children? If the school has probably cause enough to be concerned about my child, they can contact me and I'll have a drug test performed forthwith.

Regarding that liquer cabinet, you do know that you can dilute liquer, drink some and still leave the same amount in the bottle right? Not that I'd ever do something like that

And the ways kids get high today would surprise you. Things like inhaling the propellent in whipped cream cans or playing strangulation games.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
What age group are you talking about? No in elementary school, only with cause in middle school, and I'm ok with it in high school. I used to believe as you do, that privacy concerns and parental rights trump the school's desire to weed out drugs. Then, just this summer, I know of 5 kids who have been arrested for pot. I never,ever, would have suspected 4 of those 5.

My kids are all involved with sports, so we have been signing these waivers as a condition of playing.

I would want to know what the school would do if the results were positive. Are the police called? Except in cases of selling it, I think pot usage should be handled by the parents.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
..... What's more, my wife and I are worldly enough to know if our kids were doing drugs. I also know the contents of my liquor cabinet down to the fluid ounce.....
and they aren't sexually active either, correct.

In any case, I would want more information about why the school is starting this policy for the entire student body, altho many schools randomly test student atheletes. Random testing is not performed "at whim of the school administration"; there has to be some reason or the policy would not be enforce-able and would probably not withstand a legal challenge.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM

90 posts, read 330,054 times
I'm with Mattie... it all depends on the age of the kids.

I took drug tests in middle school, but not elementary school... come to think of it my parents weren't even asked to sign a paper for the school to administer the test? Hmmm...

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
Quote:

Just for the record, I understand where you're coming from here. What I'm saying is not to justify the school's actions, but explain them.

When a person's on drugs, his actions can obviously endanger other people and himself -- I'm thinking (for example) someone tweaking in wood shop when handling the circular saw, or in automotive tech. class when getting a car on the lift, for instance. Some drugs can obviously increase aggression and cause fights or injuries to other students or teachers. This is very possibly a liability issue and the school's trying to cover its collective hind end.

Again, just to be clear, I'm far more comfortable as a parent requesting random drug screening for athletes -- it's an athlete's choice to participate or not, and the physical condition of her or his body is obviously crucial to the athletic competition. I'm far less comfortable "searching" someone without prior cause or justification. I would also be concerned about how truly random the searches would be, particularly if I were poor or a person of color. Obviously, the degree of genuine randomness or bias would depend upon the individual school, but it would be certainly an issue of concern to think about before implementing this policy.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I have ZERO problem with random drug testing of students.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
and they aren't sexually active either, correct.

In any case, I would want more information about why the school is starting this policy for the entire student body, altho many schools randomly test student atheletes. Random testing is not performed "at whim of the school administration"; there has to be some reason or the policy would not be enforce-able and would probably not withstand a legal challenge.
Sorry. I am fully aware of the problems kids get into. But I will not be a sheep and sign away my parental rights. I really don't think, just because some parents are asleep at the switch, we should abrogate the Fourth Amendment.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Sorry. I am fully aware of the problems kids get into. But I will not be a sheep and sign away my parental rights. I really don't think, just because some parents are asleep at the switch, we should abrogate the Fourth Amendment.
I've raised two to adulthood so far, and both were parented in the manner that gave them full confidence to do the right thing in all circumstances, and they both always have. They are both very responsible, never had a bit of trouble in school, and have great heads on their shoulders. I consider that the biggest success in parenting.

I have two more, one going into middle school and one in elementary school that are being parented in the same way. I expect the same results regarding confidence in doing the right thing from them as well.

Having said that, I'm not naive and I would welcome the opportunity to work hand in hand with the school in dealing with potential drug use. I wouldn't consider signing an agreement regarding random drug testing to be signing away my parental rights. Instead, it would be a second set of eyes on my kids in a place where I myself cannot be.

Of course I also understand how the random drug tests work and the chances of my child being asked to submit to one without merit is extremely limited. If it is merited then I'll certainly take the extra help. I'd much rather err on the side of caution.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
That's why they are asking your permission. You can say no. I don't have time to look up stats right now, but I remember the numbers are staggering for children who try or regularily use drugs.

I don't think any parent is good enough to know if they kids have tried drugs. They could use them when they know they aren't going to see you for a few hours.... and be off their "high" before they come home.

Negative family interactions and school work may not be affected by rare/occasional use. Their personalities may not change if the use is not heavy. You'd be shocked what kids can hide. Kids teach each other to hide these things.

I'm not saying your kids are using drugs, just if they were, they would go to great lengths to hide them. How would you know if someone gave your kid one of their parents pain pills from the cabinet at home? Rx and over the counter drugs are frequently abused.

If your child is not using drugs, the threat of random drug testing may serve as a preventative... in addition to your good parenting. Even children of the greatest parents might try drugs.

What is the harm of the test? They will probably have to take tests for employment in a few years...

I understand your desire to raise your children your way, and without interference. If that is what you decide, more power too you... I just pray that you are right about your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education