Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I am a little put off about "social behavior" classes. On one hand, I realize that they can help kids who may be in a difficult situations and don't get the social education they need from whom they should be getting it, in other words, parents. On the other hand, I'm not fond of the time it takes out of general instruction (spelling, math, etc).
I'm not sure what classes you're referring to...the only social skills instruction I'm familiar with is geared toward certain disabled students whose developmental disabilities create a need for this type of instruction - it's as crucial to their overall learning and development as basic academics are, but for reasons of disability, not easily learned through the typical channels. But I've never really seen it done for students without disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not sure what classes you're referring to...the only social skills instruction I'm familiar with is geared toward certain disabled students whose developmental disabilities create a need for this type of instruction - it's as crucial to their overall learning and development as basic academics are, but for reasons of disability, not easily learned through the typical channels. But I've never really seen it done for students without disabilities.

No, I'm not talking about life skills programs for disabled students - those I support. Maybe "social programs" is the wrong term. I'm talking about all-inclusive programs such as Conflict Resolution, Fire, Drug, fill in the blank _________ Safety (with emphasis on SAFETY not science), and the like. Granted, things like fire safety may only meet once a month for around 45 minutes, but that's still 45 minutes spent teaching my kids things that I already teach them. It's common sense. Before I get flamed, I'll say that I realize that it's good for kids to be familiarized with safety, and yes, I'm aware that some parents don't teach these things, but I think in the grander picture, when we wonder why Jr. can't spell, we have to take the time these programs take into consideration.

Last edited by cebdark; 09-01-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education