Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba2007 View Post
I know what you are talking about. Last year I took in my two nieces to live with me they were at the time 13 and 14 and both reading at around a 4th grade level. They have recently completed the eight grade through tutoring they have risen to 5 and 6 th grde level but are not clearly not ready academically for the ninth grade. Unfortunately, although we are know for having one of the best educational systems for college (I wonder about this) we are big fans of social promotions.

I find it kind of ironic how American children (all ethinicites) are dropping at the seams in terms of attending a four-year college while other students whose countries actually invest in their future before they invest in wars, politicians pockets another BS expenses are having the beautiful priviledge of this wonderful American College education.

I understand my comment may insight some racial opinions, please note that I believe in America anyone who has been approved to relocate here has a right to an education like any other American citizen.
No you are not being harsh..I never "got it" when my folks said..the american students in this country have it easy: School is FREE, AND the standards are a joke.

I am asian-indian (okay okay...enough of the nerdy wise cracks..LOLOL). Both me and Dh are...brought up here (dh in Wichita,KS) of all places. And we constantly heard it...

Education was a priority over extra-ciricular activities in our house period. We were very active as children..but if we didnt make the grade, then no basketball, no dance team etc etc. My parents were rather modern and hip compared to the immigrants of the time 1970's as they felt it was crucial to fit in and assimilate in this country. We were brought up upper middle class the whole way thru. We were taught that go to college, get a great job, become a productive member of society.

What I am saying is that it started at home....when we were young. Reading the newspaper, books, whatever....It could be highlights magazine or readers digest..but it had to be something.

There was NO talk of "taking a year off to go find myself" and then I will go to college. NOPE..grad from High School..straight to a 4 year university...after that it..we paid our own ride. My brother went to Columbia Dental School...and I am finishing my thesis at NYU ( took time off to get married have kids).

So I think its 100% the parents responsibility to enforce education in their childrens lives. 15 minutes a day of reading is NO big deal...thats how long a shower takes.

I believe that we has parents owe to our children to set them up with the tools needed for success..not for failure.

I dont think its the schools responsibility at all to babysit my kids..its Mine and DH's. We ask to see homework, we correct it..we read at night....OH MY GOD..WHAT A CONCEPT RIGHT? We actually TALK to our kids.

I really wish parents were more involved in their kids lives and not leave the parenting to the teachers and administrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 03:19 PM

138 posts, read 979,025 times
How can you be in the 10th grade and read at a 3rd grade reading level ?

ANSWER: Have parents who also read at a 3rd grade reading level.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
How can you be in the 10th grade and read at a 3rd grade level?

ANSWER: Attend schools that have no clue how to teach reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post

Old 06-23-2007, 09:24 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
there is also a thing called twice gifted. that means the child may be gifted learning, but have a learning disability. For instance, a child can be gifted and dyslexic. It is hard to learn to read with dyslexia. Yes, I think these kids should be getting the extra help for reading, teaching them the way they can learn, and be allowed to excell in the areas they can (maybe math). So with that scenario, you can be in the 10th grade, but reading at a third grade level. Hopefully, getting specialized instruction in reading for the specific disability.

shelly

Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
there is also a thing called twice gifted. that means the child may be gifted learning, but have a learning disability. For instance, a child can be gifted and dyslexic. It is hard to learn to read with dyslexia. Yes, I think these kids should be getting the extra help for reading, teaching them the way they can learn, and be allowed to excell in the areas they can (maybe math). So with that scenario, you can be in the 10th grade, but reading at a third grade level. Hopefully, getting specialized instruction in reading for the specific disability.

shelly

yes this is similar to what I was going to post ....

notice we do not put a emph on social skills----- I wonder how many 16 years olds socialize at a Kindergarten level?

Autism

Special needs

low test scores

Poor test taking abilities

comprehension

Many reasons..

I am wondering why this question was asked?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:50 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
left brain right brain non stimulation

All sorts of resources on this ...

Check out Dr. Becky Baileys web site ..google the woman is brilliant!

Dr. Becky Bailey's Loving Guidance

Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM

18 posts, read 87,586 times
Smile 3rd Grade Level at 10th grade

Well, this happens in America, as we have had a broken system for many years now, everyone knows we should do this or that, but the application is not given, and some people do have learning disabilities that are never addresssed in the schools, case in point: my husband, no reading, no writing, and they passed him through High School; but if they hadn't he would be on Disability and living off of me and you, and yours, as it is, he has a pretty good job for someone who does not read or write, and a lot of common sense also...so I feel, yes we need to fix a broken system, however, we also have to realize that it is going to come from home, and not the schools, as we know they aren't going to do the work needed for a person with learning disabilities, (too much money, that they already need more for the building and the books that don't really get utilized properly), If America would really get up in arms about this, we'd have something done about it, and no, "No Child Left Behind " Is NOT the answer, as it will already be leaving many behind and in the dust...Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 PM

67 posts, read 227,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
How can you make it to High School and be reading and writing at a 3rd grade level? I think if you are doing 3rd grade work you should be in the 3rd grade no matter how old you are. Or maybe a special class, but not in a regular 10th grade class. I do not think you should get a 12th grade diploma either.
Does that sound to harsh or do you agree?
Unfortunately, the public school administration throughout the U.S. has become a safe haven for most of this nation's ignorant, conniving, and self-serving college graduates. It’s a place where it’s all about your degrees and certifications, not about good judgment and common sense. How to keep one’s job is their main concern, not educating the children. As long as they invent ways of fooling the many, and finding judges to fight off the few, they will continue to prevail.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
How can you be in the 10th grade and read at a 3rd grade level?

ANSWER: Attend schools that have no clue how to teach reading.
children should learn to read at home before they even start school.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post

They're not learning to read before they start school because of.... (see above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education