Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times

Advertisements

The contents are now online. I did not read anything political in it.

I am hoping he continues the message every school year. Our kids need all the caring adults in their lives, they can get.

It's a shame that some parents will keep their kids home tomorrow. What a waste of a school day.

To all the kids in school this year the President of the United States says "Make us all proud. I know you can do it."

me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And this is different from everyday teaching, how?
It depends on the message to the teachers from those higher up.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:02 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,709 times
Default I'll probably stir the pot . . . . .

but oh, what the heck. Let me pose something to all of those who don't want their children hearing the president's message and/or are afraid the message might contradict their own political, religious, personal views.

Do you realize that every day of the week, you send your child to school where they encounter teachers who might not share your opinions and viewpoints? Yes, there is a required curriculum teachers must teach within, but within that curriculum, there is a ton of room for personal ideas, opinions, viewpoints to influence your child.

I think the text of Obama's message is something every kid can use. I've heard classroom teachers with strong opinions - both right and left - and they definitely communicate those to students. As a classroom teacher AND a parent, I interact with my child and we discuss such viewpoints.

Quite frankly, I appreciate when my children encounters opposing viewpoints to our own. It allows them to weigh their beliefs and if they choose to, to disagree with an appreciative and respectful attitude those who don't believe like we do. If they didn't encounter different ideas, opinions, beliefs, I'm afraid they might believe ours is the ONLY opinion and well. . . . . . . . .you can see where this is going.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
My guess is the naysayers are either in hiding now that the speech has been released or trying to spin that Obama was manipulating their correct concerns to make them seem even more like Dr. Strangelove.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
And, one of the things that bothers me the most is that the White House felt they HAD to release the contents of the speech beforehand to combat the right-wing rumors.

Is it really to the point that we can't trust OUR president to speak to our children? Now, do I have my son read the content, or go ahead with my plan to sign him out of school to watch it at home since the school won't show it?

Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And, one of the things that bothers me the most is that the White House felt they HAD to release the contents of the speech beforehand to combat the right-wing rumors.

Is it really to the point that we can't trust OUR president to speak to our children? Now, do I have my son read the content, or go ahead with my plan to sign him out of school to watch it at home since the school won't show it?
Sign him out and let the world know it and if the press wants to interview you go for it. Question the motivation of the Principal and the Superintendent and their wisdom in guiding the future of our children . Ask them what their goals and beliefs are since it would appear they are different then what the President is talking about. Shame Them!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't really think he will do that. I think he will give a benign speech like telling kids to do their homework, stay in school and listen to their teachers. Too many people will be watching and listening. The potentially bad part is what will happen in individual classrooms with the teachers, after the speech, because it will not be subjected to the same scrutiny and will differ from classroom to classroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And this is different from everyday teaching, how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It depends on the message to the teachers from those higher up.
Like their principals?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My guess is the naysayers are either in hiding now that the speech has been released or trying to spin that Obama was manipulating their correct concerns to make them seem even more like Dr. Strangelove.
I'm sure we'll see some of this on CD soon, especially on the politics forum.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times
Media Resources Prepared School Remarks

oh yeah, this is terrifying! he's really out to get those kids to work hard, do well in school, and actually make a contribution to society!

I spoke with my mom last night, and she said several schools in the "great" state of Tennessee will not be showing the speech. so glad I got out of there.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
I like what the President has to say about education. I really don't understand who could object to this, but I don't understand a lot of things these days.

Media Resources Prepared School Remarks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education