Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times

Advertisements

Young children need a regular set of rules to live by both at home and at school. Otherwise they will try to push the limits of what's acceptable and behave at that limit. Young children need structure in their lives. As they get older you give them a little more freedom. Though many kids say they hate school, they can't wait to go back to school at the end of a long boring holiday vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,058,777 times
My kids like school overall. Their biggest complaint is the amount of time wasted each day. If they have to go to school they'd at least like it to be more efficient. Less socializing, less drama, less of the teacher trying to be buddies....just get to the lesson and the homework assignment already. One of my kids is a very independent learner and he rarely needs 'instruction'. He can read the material and do his own work so when the teacher is simply parroting the textbook it makes him absolutely crazy. He can read, he doesn't need the teacher to read to him. Add to that, the stupid rules like, you can't do homework in class, you have to take notes the way the teacher wants you to take them even if it isn't the best way for you to retain/study information, same with organizing a notebook, etc. It seems much of the rules are to make life easier for the teacher rather than teach the students how to organize and manage the information from the classroom.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
My kids like school overall. Their biggest complaint is the amount of time wasted each day. If they have to go to school they'd at least like it to be more efficient. Less socializing, less drama, less of the teacher trying to be buddies....just get to the lesson and the homework assignment already. One of my kids is a very independent learner and he rarely needs 'instruction'. He can read the material and do his own work so when the teacher is simply parroting the textbook it makes him absolutely crazy. He can read, he doesn't need the teacher to read to him. Add to that, the stupid rules like, you can't do homework in class, you have to take notes the way the teacher wants you to take them even if it isn't the best way for you to retain/study information, same with organizing a notebook, etc. It seems much of the rules are to make life easier for the teacher rather than teach the students how to organize and manage the information from the classroom.
This is a biggie in my book. I got through high school (well, almost all of it, lol) without having a clue about how to best take notes. I was just used to copying the "notes" off the board or following the teacher's instructions to a T. I had no idea how to take notes from a lecture, something that is CRUCIAL when you go to college.

I had to totally learn this on my own, and I'm still learning it really. I am also teaching it to my kids since they don't seem to have gotten much valuable info on this in school either (the 17 and 11 year olds)... teachers are still doing it the way they did it when I was in school which is, IMO, useless.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
I still hate school to this day:

I know I could learn everything by just reading a text book so school is a waste of time for me
Its so boring
Its 5 days a week
Gym
Homework
Consumes to much of my time
It takes me over an hour to get there + an hour to get back home (that's like 2.5 extra periods)
I'm forced to work with "slower" students (I have no problem because I like helping others but I hate having to carry the whole group when I could do a group's worth of work faster by myself).

I'm so glad I'm gonna be a senior when school starts, but I'm so mad it has to start in the first place, this is the 12th grade so I have all this college/SAT nonsense to do.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I think there is an assumption that all kids learn the same way. If there were classes for "left handed thinkers" and classes for "right handed thinkers" and the exact same material was presented in different ways for each group, I bet each group learns more not having the others in their classes.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,058,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think there is an assumption that all kids learn the same way. If there were classes for "left handed thinkers" and classes for "right handed thinkers" and the exact same material was presented in different ways for each group, I bet each group learns more not having the others in their classes.
From the article...
Quote:
It turns out, Willingham said, that the processes by which children learn are far more similar than different. So that many of the efforts teachers make to help kids learn through different “learning styles†don’t really help.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think this is an example of schools holding the smartest kids back.

-These policies kill any initiative or drive students may have. They may want to do their homework in class, but they "can't", for whatever inane reason. They're held back to the laziest of children, who doesnt want to do homework in class. The two students become equal.

Multiply that over 9 months of the year, for 12 years, the system is designed to kill any innate drive you may have.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times
I have a son who is in high school who use to be one of those kids who just hated school. I was determined as a parent to find the right school for him and remove him from his misery as quickly as possible before things got any worse. I always knew he had that passion to learn inside of him but some teachers just went about it the wrong way. LauraC is exactly correct. NOT every kid learns the same way. It doesn't necessary mean that one is kid is smarter than another, but some just learn differently. In my search of schools, I came across an amazing author named Alfie Kohn. Articles by Alfie Kohn
Very controversial but IMO, he knows exactly what kids need in order to love learning and love school as well. I did fortunately find a school with Alfie Kohn's philosophy in my area and the results have been astonishing. I finally have a happy teenager (not easy) who loves school and wished he could stay there forever. The right school for your child can really make a difference, especially in their attitude. Now I know why these online high schools are gaining popularity..... More and more unhappy kids!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
the human animal is not prone to discipline or learning. we are born monkey like and only avoid becoming large aggressive apes by lots of punishment and discipline.
strangly except for cops and military, we have utterly lost sight of this simple fact of life.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,206 times
For myself, I hated school because of the amount of time it took on my life. 7+ hours of going to school to learn and the X amount of hours spent each night doing homework and studying. And all for what? To achieve the 1st letter of the alphabet on a slip of paper. And sadly, that determines our intelligence and value in society.

And half the time, I felt that going to school was quite pointless. I'm going to school so teachers could tell me what I could learn when I could just get it out from the textbook? Thanks, but why don't I just stay home and read the textbook instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education