Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,566 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

First time post here, but I have a question that some of you may be able to answer.

I used to work in the Financial industry pre-meltdown for one of the big firms that bit the big one...no need to say which it's really not important. But, recently I was contacted by some guy, Ryan or Bryan, over at this IT school called Netcom about something called an NEG grant.

He was basically saying that there was some part of President Obama's stimulus package, and that if you were laid off from one of 25-30 companies (one of them being my former one) who were eligible for 12.5k in funding for professional development training.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm just trying to figure out if it's legit or not, because I really could use that money to help boost up my credentials on my resume.

I looked at the school's website and everything looks legitimate, seems like they were on NY1 not too long ago, but I haven't been able to find a ton of information on this except a few random articles earlier in the year saying the tri-state area was going to be awarded around 20 million for a similar grant, but nothing since.

Just curious, if anyone else has heard anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Sounds like a scam.There is probably some money there and they want to use you to get there hands on more of it.You are not going to get to use that money to "boost up your credentials",they will get it to support themselves.
How on earth can you judge the legitimacy(or more importantly the credentials) of any institution or company by a web site ? Anyone can put a dazzling web site together.Visit their "campus" and talk with some of their"graduates".LOL
It's no wonder everything has collapsed..... people have lost their ability to reason and judge.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
Was just basing the legitimacy on the basis of the schools listed credentials. I'll check it out a bit more though.

Quite frankly I don't care if they are benefitting from me spending the funds there, as long as they can be secured and used by me. My field relies heavily on the types of Certifications they provide.

I was really just wondering if anyone else had heard of this grant.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
People need jobs not more education for jobs that dont exist.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Hey- the grant does exist. Check out the website below. It doesn't seem to be something that's advertised too much. Mod cut - sorry, but new posters cannot post links.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-20-2010 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: see above

Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,803 times
I happened to hear about this grant program recently by coincidence from a director of a training school which i will be attending. I just wanted to thank you (mc2356) for this information, it was very helpful and it's definitely legit.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
"You do not have to be unemployed" to use this training.

????

Frankly, this makes me angry. No offense to the OP but what about all of the public school teachers who are losing their jobs right now? 100 down and 65 more to go in my district just last year and this year. I'm sure next year will be worse because the stimulus money runs out soon. (and these are classroom teachers, not aides, admin, etc)

What are teachers supposed to do for "retraining"? Many of us will be forced to abandon our teaching careers forever because we can't sit around for years fighting for the few open teaching jobs when there are 500 applicants per job now and the layoffs continue.

So we are out tens of thousands for our BA degree and also maybe $20-30k for a masters for a career that has gone poof. Most of the laid off teachers are in years 1-3 and have massive student loans to pay off. Ditto for new graduates.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
"You do not have to be unemployed" to use this training.

????

Frankly, this makes me angry. No offense to the OP but what about all of the public school teachers who are losing their jobs right now? 100 down and 65 more to go in my district just last year and this year. I'm sure next year will be worse because the stimulus money runs out soon. (and these are classroom teachers, not aides, admin, etc)

What are teachers supposed to do for "retraining"? Many of us will be forced to abandon our teaching careers forever because we can't sit around for years fighting for the few open teaching jobs when there are 500 applicants per job now and the layoffs continue.

So we are out tens of thousands for our BA degree and also maybe $20-30k for a masters for a career that has gone poof. Most of the laid off teachers are in years 1-3 and have massive student loans to pay off. Ditto for new graduates.
Good point! It is almost impossible to find a teaching job these days. I am going to be forced to go back to school. I just hope I find some type of a job so I can help pay for it with a job instead of loans. I will likely lose my retirement funds if I can't get any tuition help, but what else can I do? I can't just sit on unemployment forever. I don't want to apply for welfare or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education