Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times

Advertisements

Do you have any recommendations? I am looking at buying the Connected Mathematics textbook because I liked some of the lessons that I've seen. I'm also looking at The Mad Minute. Are these two pretty good? What about other books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Are you looking for yourself? Your child? As a supplement to public school, or are you homeschooling?

We use Miquon in homeschooling our 1st and 3rd graders. Next year, I plan to switch to Singapore Math for my son, who will be in 4th grade.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
If this is for a child, I'd recommend Singapore math. My dd was in Singapore until 6th grade. She just switched back to the public schools. They moved her up to 8th grade math coming in. That has proved too easy for her so we're debating whether to send her to the high school for 9th grade math or try 8th grade honors algebra. I can't speak highly enough about the program.

My older daughter was in Singapore until 6th grade and then Scott Foresman. She skipped a grade in math with her transfer back to the public schools.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,314 times
My child is in Singapore now and using Singapore math. It's great. She understands well. I really like it.

To Ivorytickler
Which school did your daughter study in Singapore? My daughter is in a local school but changing to UWC grade 3 next January. Not very sure it's the right move. Can you give me advice?

Thank you

Old 10-04-2009, 07:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreammom View Post
My child is in Singapore now and using Singapore math. It's great. She understands well. I really like it.

To Ivorytickler
Which school did your daughter study in Singapore? My daughter is in a local school but changing to UWC grade 3 next January. Not very sure it's the right move. Can you give me advice?

Thank you
We're not in Singapore. I meant Singapore math. My girls went to a charter school in Michigan. We chose this school because it used Singapore. We were running away as fast as we could from Everyday Mathematics and connected math. Our district is back on a standard math track so we're back now.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
I am not a fan of Singapore M, which is essentially a. attempt to cherry pick from existing approaches. However, in any given text, 10% of the problems are convoluted and counterproductive. However, if you edit the texts, you can kick out the sillier problems and elements. What is left is a curriculum which should help students with their mechanics.

That algebra is introduced early is a good thing for any K-5 program. I am partial to the approach taken by EPGY. I suspect it was among those programs that formed the basis of Singapore M.

When the kids get older, try the books by Margaret Lial (Algebra & above). They are excellent. Rigorous yet with common sense. I believe she may have also written for Pre-Algebra as well.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education