Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My 15 year old daughter has had serious issues with school attendance for the past few years. She is very bright and capable, and home schooling did not work for us, so the public education system is our best bet. I would rather not discuss the reasons or how to get her attendance better- we've tried it all. Some days she just will not go.

My husband and I are strongly considering relocation to a different area of the country, but I feel it would be wise to first consider the state's legislation on school attendance. We are looking at Northern CA, and love it there, but I am very worried that the age of attendance is 18 and the state has a history of exerting lots of control- as in talk about making homeschool illegal, and fining parents each day their child does not attend. Did these pass, or are their other repercusions for non- attendance?

These are the states that we are looking into:

California
Texas
Arizona
North Carolina
South Carolina

I would be so thankful for any info on how tough or lenient these states are on this matter. We are in Indiana ( compulsory age of 18), and they are tough, but I don't worry she will be taken away or anything. Should I worry about that elsewhere?

Thanks in advance, fabumom07
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
I don't think it will make much difference. I hope you're moving for other reasons besides state law regarding truancy.

Please don't expect the state to make your daughter go to school. That is your job as a parent.

My ex-wife has claimed that she can't make our 14 year old son get his hair cut or go to school. I have physically removed him from the bed or the car -- not easy when he weighs 180 pounds, but I do what it takes, and if that means getting a workout in the process, so be it.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Fortunately NC takes truancy very seriously and will hold the adults (that would be the parents) responsible, as it should be.
Quote:
General Statutes that the child is habitually absent from school without a valid excuse. Evidence that shows that the parents, guardian, or custodian were notified and that the child has accumulated 10 absences which cannot be justified under the established attendance policies of the local board shall establish a prima facie case that the child's parent, guardian, or custodian is responsible for the absences.
GS_115C-378

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,706 times
I can only say something for North Carolina Schools but my cousins missed 18 days of school a piece (Cumberland County School southeast NC) and she was thrown in jail for not writing notes as to why they missed school each time then she had to pay a large fine for each child.

So dont let your child miss school alot cause anything can happen and she needs to be in school anyways

Old 09-27-2009, 11:19 AM

23 posts, read 72,296 times
In SC, you can be placed in jail for not sending your children to school. But from my experience, as long as they have A's and B's, then the schools don't really care. It also depends on what district you're in.

Have you considered private schools? They'd be much more willing to work with you, most likely. My daughter's former school once had six snow days in a year... and didn't make up a single one... where as the public schools went off to Saturdays. And there were always students on vacation during the school year... One student missed ten days for a trip to another country with her parents... and still had sick days on top of that to boot.

Oh and the compulsory age is 17, unless your child can get excused by the court for being too disruptive in the class.

Also.. Have you tried computer schooling?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:39 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
I'm amazed someone would ask such a question. You are the parent, don't worry about being a Fabumom. Not showing up is a bad habit she needs to break or in a few years she will find herself chronically unemployed. Let her know skipping school is not an option. Don't enable her by finding another state.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Texas has a very lenient homeschooling policy. There are also charter schools that meet for half days either morning or afternoon. Public school isn't going to help you out much. Texas is pretty strict on truancy.

Have you tried to get the public school to provide home instruction? Does your daughter have some kind of emotional problem that results in school avoidance? If so, maybe you can get her labeled special ed under Emotionally Disturbed and get some home instructions. You might check the forum on this website as many of these parents are dealing with teens who refuse to go to school:
Support for parents - Support for Parents of Difficult to Parent Children

Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Hello!

My 15 year old daughter has had serious issues with school attendance for the past few years. She is very bright and capable, and home schooling did not work for us, so the public education system is our best bet. I would rather not discuss the reasons or how to get her attendance better- we've tried it all. Some days she just will not go.

My husband and I are strongly considering relocation to a different area of the country, but I feel it would be wise to first consider the state's legislation on school attendance. We are looking at Northern CA, and love it there, but I am very worried that the age of attendance is 18 and the state has a history of exerting lots of control- as in talk about making homeschool illegal, and fining parents each day their child does not attend. Did these pass, or are their other repercusions for non- attendance?

These are the states that we are looking into:

California
Texas
Arizona
North Carolina
South Carolina

I would be so thankful for any info on how tough or lenient these states are on this matter. We are in Indiana ( compulsory age of 18), and they are tough, but I don't worry she will be taken away or anything. Should I worry about that elsewhere?

Thanks in advance, fabumom07

I would never do that, you are enabling the child to do what the child wants. It is difficult being a parent and remember some states will hold the parent responsible. My suggestion to you is to contact the districts pupil personnel office and speak to a truant officer. I would then have your child have a one on one meeting with the probation officer. If that does not work I would see about special school program that allows the student to complete on their time, the pupil personnel office can work with you on this.

Good luck to you and please work on helping your child succeed, moving to a place that is accepting is contributing to the issue.

Not judging you at all just know how difficult it is being a parent. Search out resources and make your child all the better for it.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I don't think it will make much difference. I hope you're moving for other reasons besides state law regarding truancy.

Please don't expect the state to make your daughter go to school. That is your job as a parent.

My ex-wife has claimed that she can't make our 14 year old son get his hair cut or go to school. I have physically removed him from the bed or the car -- not easy when he weighs 180 pounds, but I do what it takes, and if that means getting a workout in the process, so be it.

I am not allowed to give you rep anymore until I spread the love but Kudos for taking the bull by the horn!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:46 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
Well your responses were mostly quite insensitive. None of you have ANY idea the things myself or my daughter have gone through. I will not discuss her issues as you are all strangers. Suffice it to say I have tried everything- water on the face,physical force within reason, school counselors in her bedroom, removal of every belonging and privlege a la Dr Phil, counseling, psychiatry, 4 different meds. Those of you with sensitivity may glean that this may not be your average lazy kid situation. If this is enabling, I have no idea what not enabling is. I am crying right now. Hope you are all happy.

I asked everyone not to get into that but everyone here must have felt they should ignore my request. I put my pride on the line to ask this very difficult question.

No we are not moving to avoid truancy issues. But I do not wish for my daughter to be taken from our home, and I do wish for her to go to school.She is a sweet girl with issues. Private schools are not an option at this time. The situation in AZ with the Walmart photos made me think more about how different states react in terms of children. This is not a equivalent situation of course, but something to consider.

I will not be posting here again, hope every has a wonderful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education