Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 12:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to the concept of getting vocational training and learning a skilled trade? Skilled trades are grossly under promoted in this day and age. Given the current economic downturn, you'd think more people (especially younger people) would consider obtaining vocational training in a skilled trade which, for the most, would guarantee them lifetime employment.

I'm in the power generation field and have not gone without a job nor a paycheck for 25 consecutive years. With a basic understanding of power plant operations, and two years of vocational coursework, I obtained the necessary certifications and licenses to get into the power generation field.

Most people within the related trades of my field (e.g., High Voltage Electricians, Instrument Technicians, Stationary Mechanics, High Pressure Welders, etc.) make over $100K/year. Sure, these are not your average Monday thru Friday, 9am to 5pm jobs. They're a little more demanding and require a tad bit more sacrifice and dedication. Nonetheless, they're good paying jobs which will always be necessary (and in demand) in any functioning society.

Another example of a grossly overlooked/under promoted field is that of Load Dispatcher. While the required skills are truly unique, they are nonetheless obtainable. In Los Angeles County, an entry level Load Dispatcher's base salary is $82,000, with a median salary of over $127,000. Don't believe me? Take a look at the following link:

http://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=5233

The required System Operator coursework for this field can be mostly obtained online thru Bismarck State College:

http://www.bsc.nodak.edu/energy/students/etst/

Hope someone's interest is perked!

Last edited by chacho_keva; 10-11-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 01:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I don't know in what part of the country you are located, but it is almost impossible for average students in the mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, and DE) to get admitted to vocie. The local vocational schools have become the new private schools, and I have taught at a vocational school in S. Jersey where they replaced plumbing with theatre. Go figure. Parents expect their children to go to college, even if they don't have the ability, and I believe schools also put that pressure on the students. I only have one student who plans to go into HVAC and start his own business with his cousin, who plans to be an electrician. I also have a student who always talks about being a doctor; when that happens, it will definitely be time to leave the country.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:03 PM

19 posts, read 134,678 times
Chacho,
Great topic. I too think trade school is underrated. When most people think about vocational schooling they come to a conclusion that it's basically a place people who couldn't make it into a real university. I too am in trade school for HVAC while pursuing my bachelors in Construction Management. I felt that Construction Management is a kind of a broad major in Construction therefore I chose a trade to kind of specialize. In the event of a layoff in a big firm I know that in Texas (Capital of the HVAC/R industry) will always need a/c or refrigeration to survive. I've met very highly intellectual people in trade school that pratically got tired of the all the corporate politics and wanted out by applying to trade school hoping to start a trade business. Weird how things turn out. I've seen patterns of people who are in the construction industry so I figured it was best to pick up a valuable trade while I'm young and finish off the bachelors when I'm older with hopes of establishing a business with clients along the way.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen name View Post
Chacho,
Great topic. I too think trade school is underrated. When most people think about vocational schooling they come to a conclusion that it's basically a place people who couldn't make it into a real university. I too am in trade school for HVAC while pursuing my bachelors in Construction Management. I felt that Construction Management is a kind of a broad major in Construction therefore I chose a trade to kind of specialize. In the event of a layoff in a big firm I know that in Texas (Capital of the HVAC/R industry) will always need a/c or refrigeration to survive. I've met very highly intellectual people in trade school that pratically got tired of the all the corporate politics and wanted out by applying to trade school hoping to start a trade business. Weird how things turn out. I've seen patterns of people who are in the construction industry so I figured it was best to pick up a valuable trade while I'm young and finish off the bachelors when I'm older with hopes of establishing a business with clients along the way.
As is evident by the amount of responses to this post, not too many people seem to be interested in vocational fields. However, I do have two recent success stories.

About 4 months ago, 23 year old man toured our facility in the company of our Senior Technicians. The young man introduced himself to me and explained how he'd been curious about our facility after driving by it several times on his way to a nearby community college. He had just gotten out of the U.S. Navy where he served as a Machinist Mate. The young man was hired as a student intern two weeks ago and wants to hire full time to work at our facility. I have no doubt he'll be hired.

Another active duty Sailor contacted me earlier this year regarding the Load Dispatcher position. He flew to Los Angeles from his assigned duty station back east to take the LD test...and passed it on the first try! He is now awating his interview which will take place just of few months shy of his honorable discharge.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
I worked in a machine shop when I was younger. They hired you for your vocational school training, gave you a 6 month probationary period, and then put you in an apprenticeship program taught by the master tool and die makers there. It was a very effective program which was developed over decades. It weeded out the less talented and the result was some very good tool and die makers. Some had been there for over 30 years.

I didn't pursue that career path; I went traditional and obtained a 4-year engineering degree because that is what I wanted to do. However, the shop experience showed me that there are different ways to have a successful career, and if you are smart about it a vocational education can take you far.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I was a macinist mate in the navy. Now work in a hospital boiler room running the chillers and emergency generators. Not as much pay but it's steady work and it was available at the time so I jumped on it.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
You get get a good liberal education at the public library free, you should too if you don't want to an ignoramus all your days.

FORMAL Voc education is smarter, I'd just stay away from skills primarly used in factories, industrial america is dying/dead with no doctor in sight.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm in the power generation field and have not gone without a job nor a paycheck for 25 consecutive years.

snip

Hope someone's interest is perked!
Nobody wants to do the effort or they jump to conclusions of what the job is based on limited knowledge.

Power generation? I know, you're the guy who climbs up poles to fix light bulbs, right?

I've worked as a certified fire sprinkler engineering technician for over 30 years and never have I gone for more than a week without a job.

Sprinkler technician? Isn't that like a plumber and stuff? Do you fix toilets too?

I am over 60 years old and if I lost my job today I would have another that paid at least $60,000, I would expect between $65,000 and $75,000, before Friday rolled around. These jobs typically pay this and we're not talking the LA or the NYC area but Omaha, Nebraska or where you can live pretty good on $70,000.

Two years of community college and typical entry level wage is $30,000 and all the companies I am aware of provide medical, dental, 401k and life insurance. Most will even pay tuition for college level courses if it has something to do with the job. With five to six years experience typical salary is $50,000 or better anywhere in the country. Add another five years experience, this is before you are 30 if you started technical school right after graduation, and you can add another $10,000 to $20,000 to that annual salary.

Jobs are plentiful and right now there are at least 10 jobs available for each qualified applicant I see the openings all the time.

It is the kind of job where layoffs don't happen regardless of how slow it gets because the majority of states require a qualified technician be employed full time in order to maintain a license. The second reason layoffs don't happen is companies know if they lose their qualified technicians they will find work elsewhere and when work does pick up again they won't be able to find anyone. Where I work if it gets really slow the people in HR will be let go before I am.

I don't know of any other field where there is as much job security as this one.

The industry estimates we need 750 new technicians every year for the next ten years just to maintain where we are. Currently there are just three technical schools in the US that offer a two year AS degree in the field and combined they don't graduate 100 per year.

Currently there are 2,805 qualified technicians on the registry and that includes three dozen who are on official "retired" status.

It's like talking in the wind. A two year degree, 100% employment with salaries ranging from $60,000 to $85,000 in Flyoverville before age 30... are those salaries so bad nobody will spend 20 minutes looking into the job?

My job does not involve physical labor.

At least 80% of my time is spent in an office environment in front of a computer screen.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Nobody wants to do the effort or they jump to conclusions of what the job is based on limited knowledge.

Power generation? I know, you're the guy who climbs up poles to fix light bulbs, right?

I've worked as a certified fire sprinkler engineering technician for over 30 years and never have I gone for more than a week without a job.

Sprinkler technician? Isn't that like a plumber and stuff? Do you fix toilets too?

I am over 60 years old and if I lost my job today I would have another that paid at least $60,000, I would expect between $65,000 and $75,000, before Friday rolled around. These jobs typically pay this and we're not talking the LA or the NYC area but Omaha, Nebraska or where you can live pretty good on $70,000.

Two years of community college and typical entry level wage is $30,000 and all the companies I am aware of provide medical, dental, 401k and life insurance. Most will even pay tuition for college level courses if it has something to do with the job. With five to six years experience typical salary is $50,000 or better anywhere in the country. Add another five years experience, this is before you are 30 if you started technical school right after graduation, and you can add another $10,000 to $20,000 to that annual salary.

Jobs are plentiful and right now there are at least 10 jobs available for each qualified applicant I see the openings all the time.

It is the kind of job where layoffs don't happen regardless of how slow it gets because the majority of states require a qualified technician be employed full time in order to maintain a license. The second reason layoffs don't happen is companies know if they lose their qualified technicians they will find work elsewhere and when work does pick up again they won't be able to find anyone. Where I work if it gets really slow the people in HR will be let go before I am.

I don't know of any other field where there is as much job security as this one.

The industry estimates we need 750 new technicians every year for the next ten years just to maintain where we are. Currently there are just three technical schools in the US that offer a two year AS degree in the field and combined they don't graduate 100 per year.

Currently there are 2,805 qualified technicians on the registry and that includes three dozen who are on official "retired" status.

It's like talking in the wind. A two year degree, 100% employment with salaries ranging from $60,000 to $85,000 in Flyoverville before age 30... are those salaries so bad nobody will spend 20 minutes looking into the job?

My job does not involve physical labor.

At least 80% of my time is spent in an office environment in front of a computer screen.
Exactly !
But you can't expect kids to know this and no one tells them.
The way college is/has been oversold to average kids in the US the past 50yrs is,IMHO, nothing short of criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education