Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM

13 posts, read 10,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
Even cuter situation today. We had a big lunch in the classroom. Everyone was suppose to bring a dish. I found out from my daughter. I still didn't get an email. Of course again I was the only black there. No problem. I'm often in that situation where I live. Just like the other functions I've been too, I was ignored, again. Also, no problem. I tried to join in a few conversations. No luck. Again, no problem. I was there for my daughter. After everything was done, I was helping to clean up. I gathered up my dish (pasta salad). Two ladies approached me to ask what I wanted them to do with the watermelon I brought. They said it was a lot left no one wanted any. First, I didn't bring watermelon. Second, why assume I did. I know, I'm being paranoid. I politely explained the watermelon was not mine and before you ask neither was the fried chicken. I told them the pasta salad, which was all gone, was my dish. They looked at each other and apologized. They began to explain with the words "we assumed". I just smiled and said I know, that's the problem. An Asian woman(not that it matters) brought the watermelon. She was almost too embarrassed to collect it. I finished cleaning. Kissed my daughter and went home.

The good news is when I got home, I had three emails. Two from other parents in the room still apologizing for their ignorance. One inviting me to the next function! I can't wait! I'm hopeful that it will be better.
Good luck.... But unfortunately it seems like you are dealing with people that come from an area where racism is a torch passed proudly along from generation to generation. I live in New York City and I cannot even begin to fathom this type of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Groan. That is just too much. Did you talk to the teacher about being on the email list? That's really inexcusable. Do you know the room parent?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Ignorance can lead to strange beliefs. When my dad joined the Navy in 1964, while in bootcamp they made him take off his shoes and socks so he could show them his webbed feet cause most of the guys there thought cajuns all had webbed feet. When I went to Navy bootcamp in 1990 and told them I was cajun, some asked me if this was the first time I wore shoes, some honestly thought I went to school on a raft going through the swamp, and some thought I was suppose to have webbed hands and feet. Some thought I couldn't read or write and were shocked when I told them I was accepted into the Navy's Nuclear Power program. I got engaged to a girl I met while in the Navy. When she told her folks she was engaged to a cajun they were on the verge of kicking her out the house and disowning her because they thought a cajun meant someone who was half white and half black.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
I just have to vent for a few mintues. My daughter just started a new school because of a change in zoning. Her old school had a great mixture of all nationalities. Now she's one of two black children in her class. I know everyone will ask what difference does that make. The only people that ask that question has never experienced what we have. A lot of the white parents at the school having been very vocal about how they feel about the new students. OMG the black people are coming, the black people are coming! All 15 of us in a school with over 1100 students. They only gained about 50 new students. Only about 1/3 of those were black. They lost around the same amount. Most of those were in my subdivision. Very well educated, successful families. My daughter has never made a B on a report card in her life. Her teacher acts like she ready for special education. All of a sudden my daughter has missing work. Work that I know she has done and my daughter says she turns in, but somehow the teacher does not get it! She told me this would bring her grade down to a C. I told her I would like to meet with her and the principal that day. Guess what? She found the work! I get a lot of boring emails from her teacher. But as soon as something is going on in the classroom, my name is "accidently" left off the email list! I've always loved to volunteer at school. I got emails about needing help from the PTA. I offered my time. They gave me a time to show up. Once I got there, big difference. My email will get left off their list too! While I was there, some of the teachers were so nuts! Some of the things they said to the black students are just crazy. Also, they are so condescending in the front office. They talk to me like I ride the little short bus. Well, once they stop acting like I spit in their coffee, they talk to me.

Well, I feel a little better. Thanks CD for letting me vent. Hopefully, I won't smack her during our meeting tomorrow!
Why aren't you addressing the fact that has been pointed out to you that you are doing the same thing with this sentence: " They talk to me like I ride the little short bus."?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Just a thought-could it be that people didn't talk to you because either they don't know you or they don't like you. Why do you automatically assume everything that happens to you is because of the color of your skin? If you are really having these issues with your daughter's teacher then you need to address this with the principal. Maybe the teacher is just disorganized? Maybe all the kids have had homework gone missing? Our oldest had a teacher like that too. The missing homework had nothing to do with anything else other then the teacher was really disorganized.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Georgia. I kind of figured. If you keep with this school, will her prom be segregated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Ray-X View Post
Good luck.... But unfortunately it seems like you are dealing with people that come from an area where racism is a torch passed proudly along from generation to generation. I live in New York City and I cannot even begin to fathom this type of behavior.

So let me get this straight. It's okay to assume Georgians are naturally prejudiced (despite the fact that Tnuro had no problems in the previous school, and hasn't changed locations-- her home was rezoned) and that New Yorkers would never stoop so low (you should meet my husband's family, who put the lie to that).

And of course there's the short bus comment.

How is this different from what's happening to Tnuro's daughter? Isn't prejudice of any sort wrong?

I'm sorry for what you and your daughter have experienced, Tnuro. It's not right, no matter who's doing it to whom.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 AM

124 posts, read 270,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Why aren't you addressing the fact that has been pointed out to you that you are doing the same thing with this sentence: " They talk to me like I ride the little short bus."?
I sent a private message to that person. Getting a little upset on a blog is not the same as mistreating a child. I have never mistreated any child. I have a special needs nephew. I love him very much. All children are special and intelligent in their own way. However, people do speak to them differently. In most cases is totally uncalled for. Most of the special needs children are capable of understanding just like those without special needs.

The people at this school speak down to them and anyone that is not white.

People say all sorts of things on this blog. I hope most are just venting. I really hope the don't treat people like that in person.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
I sent a private message to that person. Getting a little upset on a blog is not the same as mistreating a child. I have never mistreated any child. I have a special needs nephew. I love him very much. All children are special and intelligent in their own way. However, people do speak to them differently. In most cases is totally uncalled for. Most of the special needs children are capable of understanding just like those without special needs.

The people at this school speak down to them and anyone that is not white.

People say all sorts of things on this blog. I hope most are just venting. I really hope the don't treat people like that in person.

I've generally found that people who are ignorant online are not the soul of brotherly love in person, either.

Prejudice has a way of bleeding from one venue to the next. It's not something easily compartmentalized.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 AM

124 posts, read 270,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just a thought-could it be that people didn't talk to you because either they don't know you or they don't like you. Why do you automatically assume everything that happens to you is because of the color of your skin? If you are really having these issues with your daughter's teacher then you need to address this with the principal. Maybe the teacher is just disorganized? Maybe all the kids have had homework gone missing? Our oldest had a teacher like that too. The missing homework had nothing to do with anything else other then the teacher was really disorganized.
I never said not talking to me was about the color of my skin. Like I stated that it was no problem. I don't care if someone doesn't want to talk to me or if they don't like me. However, they are not going to mistreat me or my daughter. But if they don't know me and have never met me, how do they know they don't like me?

I don't assume everything is about the color of my skin. As I explained in another post, I'm just the opposite. I haven't explained all the things that has been said or done. But if it walks and quacks like a duck, it's usually not a dog. The 2nd post was about assuming the black person brought the watermelon. The first was about negative comments and things done at my child's school. If you don't agree with what I feel, that's fine. But I'm living it. I know racism when I'm confronted with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
This is just me, but you seem to be coming across as someone who is actively looking for racism. You seem to be the angry person who takes offense at any thing and label it as racism whether it is or isn't. If you walk into this situation with a huge chip on your shoulder then that attitude will come across chrystal clear and push people away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education