Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM

658 posts, read 847,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Don ' t delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn ' t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Skimming through this statement, I can honestly say I could understand what was conveyed; however, when I come across posts like this, they annoy me and I skip right past them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I work at a university where part of what I do is to receive submissions of various kinds from students, professors and administrators. (Not essays, but rather announcements and calendar listings and so forth.)

The sheer lack of spelling, punctuation and grammar ability among the students, and even the adults, is absolutely atrocious. (Not to mention that People these days have Very Weird ideas about the Proper Use of Capitalization in sentences. I honestly can't understand why people make an extra effort to capitalize words *incorrectly*. I can understand someone writing everything lowercase, but not the Weird, Arbitrary capitalization.)

All the good old misspellings are there, and then some - "roll" for "role," "loose" for "lose," and so on.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Threads like this one make me just want to kick people!

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ing-their.html

First of all, they should learn how to use "their, there, and they're" correctly.. it drives me INSANE when people use the wrong ones, it really isn't that difficult!

And even after being told that it is "Surprise" and not "Suprise" they STILL continue to spell it wrong.

And.. they only spelled 3 out of 7 words correctly in their title.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post

First of all, they should learn how to use "their, there, and they're" correctly.. it drives me INSANE when people use the wrong ones, it really isn't that difficult!

And even after being told that it is "Surprise" and not "Suprise" they STILL continue to spell it wrong.

Good Lord.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you present yourself as unintelligent and/or inept, you'll be perceived as unintelligent and/or inept. It really is just that simple.
Profound!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
It's the dumbing down of society.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
I know spelling and grammar is important but when i talk about an important issue and people go "oh thats a proper noun it should be capitalized" makes me ticked...i know that you...!@#$...just dont remind me so why do u guys care bout it so much?
If for any reason, it hurts my eyes. Unless you're a confirmed dyslexic, put a little effort into spelling and grammar. Every "definately", "loose" and a plethora of other spelling errors makes me involuntarily cringe when I read it. I won't correct anyone but my children and husband, and certainly not in the forum, unless the poster is so belligerent about the whole thing. That said, carry on!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Bcuz txt tlk iz hrd 2 rd.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post

Yes -- and to me, the meaning of that thread title is, "The city of Surprise, Arizona is considering the relocation of its questions."

Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
Default 'cause ...

It may make you look uneducated or mentally challenged.
This could have bearing in attaining a position.
A small change in what or how you write can make a large change in how it reads to other. So .. what you say could be misconstrued.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education