Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM

437 posts, read 929,928 times

Advertisements

I know spelling and grammar is important but when i talk about an important issue and people go "oh thats a proper noun it should be capitalized" makes me ticked...i know that you...!@#$...just dont remind me so why do u guys care bout it so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:52 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
I know spelling and grammar is important but when i talk about an important issue and people go "oh thats a proper noun it should be capitalized" makes me ticked...i know that you...!@#$...just dont remind me so why do u guys care bout it so much?
It's all about professionalism. If you send an email with several grammatical and spelling errors, you end up sounding ignorant and thus become less reputable.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Because people are very busy and life is short. People may have to put in extra time/effort to interpret a communique that contains spelling/grammar errors. We all make mistakes. But if there are a lot of errors, it may distract from the "important issue" you are trying to communicate.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 10-09-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
At school or work I think it is important. But for chatting/texting/blogging whatever, or non-work/school related emails I don't care one bit.

School is important not only to learn, but to get a bood basic understanding and have time to practice. Work is important because besides legal matters, you really need to get your point accross simply and correctly. Also, you represent your company, so it is nice to be able to do so professionally.

Another reason is globalization. For the past ten years I have worked with countless people that don't write/speak English particularly well. Good Enlish doesn't translate very well, so you can imagine how bad english reads. From a technical standpoint, some things don't translate at all, so someone, whos native language is not english, has to be able to understand what you wrote, then explain it to someone in their own language. It is hard enough trying to do his by showing them a picture or demonstrating a problem.

I only speak two languages, English and bad English . Oh, and my writing is strictly bad

Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
I find that when you take liberties with spelling and grammar for posts on the internet, it spills over to your real life work, school and communications. The more effort you take to use proper spelling and grammar on less important communications, the better your overall communication skills become. Think of it as a sport. The more you practice your hoop shots, soccer kicks, etc., the more you become consistent in making them and improve your overall ability. Proper writing can work in the same way.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
It's all about impressions! If a post is full of grammatical errors, it makes the poster look lazy and/or less intelligent no matter how great their point may be.

Tell you what....

Go write your resume and cover letter using i, u, bout, make it full of grammatical errors,and make it all one long run on sentence.

Send it out and see how many calls you get.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times
Personally, I feel it is important to set an example for my children. When they grow up, I want the world to see them as articulate and intelligent indviduals, not another, gotta spell bad cause its trendy crap.

I also homeschool and it is important that I make sure that I teach my children well through example. Unfortunately, you can not expect the same from schools these days.

Personally, I am the opposite of you. I found your post very difficult to read and understand. It was one run on sentence. It looked like it was typed up by a fourth grader or a very ignorant individual. I don't even like to be friends or be around people who even appear to be stupid. They are usually using their poor grammar to complain about their mother or the latest outcome on American Idol. Dull.

The fact that you state that you are talking about an important issue and are using poor grammar and writting skills to convey your position, it makes you look like you really don't care about your position.

Quote:
I know that grammar is important, but when I talk about an important issue and people go, "Oh, that's a proper noun. It should be capitalized," it makes me ticked. I know that you A55! Just don't remind me! So why do you guys care about it so much?

Did I count 19 errors!? That is more than just a couple of errors. It makes your post very difficult to read for those who are use to reading intelligently written material. The way you speak, write and type indicates a lot about you. Personally, when people read what I type, I care less about presuading a thought or an opinion. I care more that they take the time to read it.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
Quote:
I don't care so much about capitalization, but it's the misuse of words like There/They're/Their and You're/Your that gets me. They have different meanings and therefore your point is lost in your lack of grammatical skills.

It also shows the lack of intellect behind an argument if a person cannot formulate the argument without grammatical and spelling errors.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
^ What they said. I don't know what else I can add except to say I agree with the importance of literacy. If you show a lack of ability in writing anyone reading it will assume it extends to other areas of your life.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
YOU are the one who should care. Poor grammar and bad spelling make you look like an uneducated moron. If I received a resume with the mistakes on it that you've made in just your post above, I'd throw it away.

Would you leave your house in the morning wearing dirty and wrinkled clothing, reeking of body odor, with unbrushed teeth and greasy hair? Well, when you don't give a sh*t about spelling and grammar, you're doing the same thing here in your posts. You're showing us that you are a careless, uneducated bum and we should simply ignore anything you say as worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education