Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,659 times

Advertisements

Last year my daughter was "chosen" for the cheer squad, this is a special cheer squad, that travels, and needed lots of different outfits for competitions. When I looked at the "expected" costs, and parent contributions, my heart broke, I just did not see how that was going to happen. I told her dad, and my mom, and we all looked at it together, and made it work. It was worth it, but I don't see how other families would be able to afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Many (not all) parents use their financial situation as an excuse. When we tell parents who mention the cost of the chorus trips that there are fund raising opportunities to defray the cost we very often hear excuses about why THEIR CHILD can't participate. They complain about the cost but are not willing to do anything to defray the cost. They want someone else to do it.

My top fundraisers have nearly $60 in their accounts right now. There is another car wash and a candy sale planned for October and November. The kids who really need to raise funds can pay for their entire trip if they really need to do so .

I feel that as a teacher I need to strike a balance and make the trips affordable for all, but the kids who need help financially need to make the effort to help themselves. We do not have extra money for kids just because their parents are out of work. I wish we did.

Our middle and high school bands have fundraisers, and all the kids take part. The boosters are active, as well. But those are considered band activity, not a form of welfare, and the money's raised so that all the kids can perform at Disney/in the Macy's parade/whatever, not just for the officially designated charity cases.

Florida has one of the nation's highest unemployment rates, and the Bay Area has an even higher one. If the band director took the "every man for himself" approach, he'd likely be missing several key players. I suppose other districts may enjoy more latitude in excluding their bassoonist or drum major.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Our elementary district band is heavy (I think about 60-75%) with kids from our school (the only non-title 1 school in the district). There are 5 elementary schools. The band is free, but the equipment is not (I'm paying close to $40/mo to rent a trumpet from a local music shop) and the school has very few loaner instruments, so most kids can't do it because of money. Its a shame, but its life, I guess. At the older level, they do do fundraisers - this level of band is to get kids interested because the HS performance band has very few kids in it (I think 15 - they don't even have all of the instruments covered).

I do know if my kids were in private school, I'd be paying for all of this stuff on top of tuition (around here its $14K per year for grades 6-12, and more like $4-8K for grades K-5). So, I am still saving some money.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
I don't know what warranted the "whining" remark, but in my defense my daughter was not the one that chose the $600 dress, another child and mother did this.

I always try to be warm and friendly to my fellow posters. I will continue.

Thank you for posting hoffdano.
I didn't mean to be harsh. But the good thing is that even though you are in a rural school - you have these choices of things to participate in. That is a good thing. I'm glad you and your child is participating. It will be worth it. But tell those people that no social event in high school is worth a $600 dress. Just my opinion.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
I went to a high school where there weren't a whole lot of rich kids running around. The idea that we would have to personally shell out $500+ for a school activity did not fly....ever. I mean I had to buy my own instrument for Band. Don't get me wrong. If you want to be in band that's your responsibility. I think my last trombone was ~$700+. And if we were in a club that went on a school trip the school would put up some money but we had to do fund raisers to cover our personal portions of it. It's fair. Not every kid gets to go. And tax dollars sure shouldn't be funding an extra ciricular activity.

The high school to the north of us was larger and in a larger city. The band and sports teams went on outlandish trips here and there. I remember the band going to Hawaii one year! Basically they had the option to each pony up $2000 individually or they could participate in fundraisers. So who was it that decided they were going to Hawaii you think? It just seemed like a lot of what the OP is referring to was going on there. A lot of keeping up with the Jones's kind of stuff.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,191 times
Let's see, I have two sons in middle school. Since the beginning of the year (two months) I have spent upwards of 500.00 dollars already. Booster clubs (have to join, or you get zero information regarding band or sports), pta fundraisers, band fundraisers, athletic fundraisers, lab fees, band supplies (band or art are a requirement here, both have fees regardless what you choose). Classroom supplies (I prepurchased these last fall for 100.00 for both kids, still wasn't enough or everything required.) Along with that were costs for school uniforms which would add another 300 dollars to the total. Field trip money, concert uniform for band (requirement). Military boots too for my son who is in junior ROTC!

Keep in mind this is all in just the first two months of school. It is getting insane.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
I'm not suggesting that I shouldn't pay for "extra"-curricular activities. I'm just saying I remember doing these things myself when I was in school but without all the extra. It's like "keeping up with the jones's". Here's an example: My daughter is a senior and made royalty. She wanted everyone to buy their own dresses like always but some parents had a fit and decided on a $600 dress that they wanted to match. My daughter has been in royalty before and she wanted to change it up so that the kids who couldn't afford to be in it, could. On more than one occasion there have been girls drop out simply because they couldn't afford it. And these are very well liked, sweet kids.

I guess I should have worded my original post differently.

Do you believe that schools have gone "commercial" the same as our holidays?

You both have very good points. I wasn't looking for an argument. And in case you didn't notice I want them to participate so that they are well-rounded individuals, so I do pay. And I don't make much of a fuss over it.
For a number of reasons good or bad we have asked expected schools to take on more than just formal education in reading writing and math. These things cost money. The could be done as non school programs but for a number of reasons we push to have them is school and thus the cost is associated with schools. When the economy is good we expand the activities we offer kids but when it contracts we try to maintain and shift the costs to parents.
Why do schools in metropolitan areas take field trips to sites that are within a hour drive and open on weekends? Couldn't parents do that?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Last year my daughter was "chosen" for the cheer squad, this is a special cheer squad, that travels, and needed lots of different outfits for competitions. When I looked at the "expected" costs, and parent contributions, my heart broke, I just did not see how that was going to happen. I told her dad, and my mom, and we all looked at it together, and made it work. It was worth it, but I don't see how other families would be able to afford it.
You probably helped pay for it. Part of the billed amount to parents is often a subsidy to help other parents.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM

141 posts, read 330,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
For a number of reasons good or bad we have asked expected schools to take on more than just formal education in reading writing and math. These things cost money. The could be done as non school programs but for a number of reasons we push to have them is school and thus the cost is associated with schools. When the economy is good we expand the activities we offer kids but when it contracts we try to maintain and shift the costs to parents.
Why do schools in metropolitan areas take field trips to sites that are within a hour drive and open on weekends? Couldn't parents do that?
Touche' Tuborg!!!!!

Very good post in my opinion. If this is the case then it makes sense. I understood every word you said.

But I see band royalty or any other royalty as an extra extra-curricular. It should be within everyone's means, not just those with the means.

And I think parents should take their kids on field trips. I have took my kids to more than ten free places within an hour drive over the last couple years. They love it. And I have 3 teenagers!

I almost forgot. Before school started this year we had a meeting for staff and a concern at the state was the amount of time the kids were actually in class doing instruction work. I'm not a teacher but it seemed to be a pretty important issue they hit on heavily.And I noticed that my kids away time doing school for activities was cut in half. That actually helped me, I have a kid who can never stay caught up during wrestling season. And a cranky kid ain't a fun kid. He's not so tied down anymore. And not quite as cranky.

If I make it through public school with my kids it'll be great. But that all changes in one year. College is next. Anyone got any bewares for my pocketbook next year?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Our middle and high school bands have fundraisers, and all the kids take part. The boosters are active, as well. But those are considered band activity, not a form of welfare, and the money's raised so that all the kids can perform at Disney/in the Macy's parade/whatever, not just for the officially designated charity cases.

Florida has one of the nation's highest unemployment rates, and the Bay Area has an even higher one. If the band director took the "every man for himself" approach, he'd likely be missing several key players. I suppose other districts may enjoy more latitude in excluding their bassoonist or drum major.
I don't see what the unemployment rate has to do with anything. Every student in our group has an opportunity to raise funds. The school I am at is very diverse with very affluent students as well as those from lesser means. There is a little of everything.

I look at our approach to fundraising as a way to teach students personal responsibility. Those who want to raise funds can do so. We work hard to provide opportunities but it is students' responsibility to meet their financial obligations.

We have some general fundraisers that benefit the chorus program as a whole also. The funds raised in that manner are used to benefit the entire group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education