U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM

25,388 posts, read 33,431,783 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how much contact people here think is required between teacher and parent during high school. In our school, grades are available on line so progress reports should not be a surprise yet we get complaints by parents because the teacher didn't call them when their child failed to turn in an assignment or failed a test.

At the high school level with grades available on line, do you think teachers should have to call parents when assignments are late or a child does poorly on a test? My school requires such contact but I lean towards the kids being old enough to know when things are due and parents having access to grades on line being enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM

536 posts, read 1,788,389 times
We had access to our son's grades but it turned out it wasn't enough. Knowing what he got on a test was nice, but if he wasn't doing anything else in the class, we didn't know until the end of the semester, when he failed. This was because he hadn't been turning in assignments or doing his homework. He still passed his tests but that didn't matter.

We had to have him bring home daily progress reports to make sure he was completing everything.

But I guess it depends on your kids.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:20 AM

13,880 posts, read 23,773,280 times
We've had teachers who sent regular emails letting parents know when a big test is coming up. We also have had some that sent mini progress reports throughout the semester. I appreciated both! Since our high school only sends report cards 2X's a year ( when did THAT start anyway?) any bad grades are very difficult to overcome.

My son with an IEP had wonderful teachers who sent regular updates either monthly or weekly. We also have grades posted online, but some teachers are better than others at updating the info.

It does depend on the kid. I have one who handles his high school responsibilities with ease.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM

14,104 posts, read 17,886,898 times
Contact for every missed assignment or poor test grade seems silly. But if you have a few students that seem to have a chronic problem with not turning in assignments or just generally doing poorly then yes, I think you need to contact the parents.
I think it's important for parent and teachers to work together to identify the problem, preferably early on in the grading period. Work with them to help find a solution to that problem. Maybe the student needs a little tutoring, or they don't have a thorough grasp of an important concept and need to have it explained to them in a way they understand. Maybe they need to cut some extra curricular activities and spend more time studying.
I know as a parent it always surprised me how quickly a grading period went by, and it's too easy for a student to get so far behind for there to be an easy solution.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM

39,021 posts, read 51,008,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Contact for every missed assignment or poor test grade seems silly. But if you have a few students that seem to have a chronic problem with not turning in assignments or just generally doing poorly then yes, I think you need to contact the parents.
I think it's important for parent and teachers to work together to identify the problem, preferably early on in the grading period. Work with them to help find a solution to that problem. Maybe the student needs a little tutoring, or they don't have a thorough grasp of an important concept and need to have it explained to them in a way they understand. Maybe they need to cut some extra curricular activities and spend more time studying.
I know as a parent it always surprised me how quickly a grading period went by, and it's too easy for a student to get so far behind for there to be an easy solution.
That's my system's policy. Parents have successfully challenged grades due to not enough contact.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM

475 posts, read 1,240,296 times
At my school we send home progress reports every 4 weeks. I also send home failure reports every 2 weeks. I have a website and a facebook page for my class were all test and quiz info is posted along with all the notes etc for the class. My students average age is between 16-19 years old so if that isn't enough communication then I do not know what is.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM

25,388 posts, read 33,431,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think easy solutions are part of the problem. If everyone else, besides the student, has to be involved in order to make an easy way out for the student, why should the student learn to be more responsible?

I have a child who wasn't doing her work. I LOVE what her teacher did. She'd wait until there was a big pile of work she needed to do and then send it all home on a Friday, due Monday. My daughter would then have to sit at the dining room table all weekend doing school work she should have done before. She's a slow learner. It took about three times of doing this for her to catch on that the only person she was hurting by not doing her work was her.

The most common issue with my students is just not doing their work or turning in half done assignments. I offer regular tutoring hours before/after school so tutoring is available if they don't get the work.

My policy is that students can't do extra credit work if they have any zeros on the books. So if grades are low, they have to make up all missed assignments before they can do an extra credit assignment to bring their grade up.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,207,543 times
I think it's overkill for the single missed assignment or bombed test, but if it's a chronic issue then I think yes, a phone call is in order. Also, not all parents have easy access to the internet, although that probably varies by district.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM

5,080 posts, read 13,996,880 times
Teachers have enough problems dealing with the kids and the administrators.

The last thing they need is to add parents to the mix.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM

14,104 posts, read 17,886,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think easy solutions are part of the problem. If everyone else, besides the student, has to be involved in order to make an easy way out for the student, why should the student learn to be more responsible?
Maybe "easy solution' was the wrong phrase to use.
But if you have a student who misunderstands a basic concept in math or science, they just don't get it, and other work is built on that concept, trying to go back and help that struggling student at the six week mark is just that much harder. Easier to try to identify and fix the problem earlier on.
What if your child's teacher had waited until near the end of the marking period and then sent home four weeks worth of work to do? If you see what I mean? Her teacher caught the problem early and had a creative, "easy" way to solve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education