U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM

5,256 posts, read 13,159,676 times

Advertisements

Ok, my story is that Im a Senior in high school, and I have the credits I need for where I'm situtated, but my grades so far are shot dead, I personally am having a rough year with all sorts of problems, needing a job for money is one of the problems.
I'm asking here if a GED would be a good choice because I'm in a little dilema with finding an honest answer. The school tries to convince me to get a GED, but I feel they just don't want me to screw up their rankings, friends want me to stay just because they don't want me to leave, and my mom doesn't want me to get the GED because she thinks GED's are looked down upon.

I personally want to get the GED to get a good start before college since being a full-time student is rough for me right now, but I'm not sure how it will affect my future. I thought that my freshmen-junior transcript (which is good) would be good enough for colleges to notice, and getting the GED senior year wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

I got a list of colleges in New Jersey that accept GED's and the colleges I was looking at regardless were all on the list; And even with that said, I'm going to a community college to be transferred in the following 2 years anyway. So I don't see what the big deal is with getting a GED for my senior year.

Any honest input is well apreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM

7,101 posts, read 26,258,352 times
I think it would be a case of looking at your situation and thinking that you didn't have what it takes to work hard and stick it out until you graduated.

Yes, I understand that you are having a rough time right now. That happens to a lot of people, but dropping out and taking a GED will not keep you from having the same sort of bad time next year in college.

If an employer has to make a choice between you, with your GED, and someone that stuck it out and graduated, which do you think he would choose if you were both qualified.

You might be just fine with a GED. But if it were a bad choice, you couldn't go back and change it. It might cause problems for the rest of your working career.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,258,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

Any honest input is well apreciated.
GEDs are the red-headed stepchildren of diplomas. To me they scream "unmotivated slacker".

Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,458,865 times
When you are 50 years old it isn't gonna matter. And once you get into college and get a degree, it won't matter. It's like asking a PhD if they graduated high school or if they have an associates or bachelors..... doesn't even matter.

But, just starting out- it does matter.

Once you get your credits to graduate- just hang in. And get into a community college like you are planning and stick to it...don't quit, don't move. You'll find other communtiy colleges won't accept the credits from another community college (doesn't make sense but that's the way it is).

Good luck and do what you have to do. I'd only get your GED if you would be able to enter college early-as in during your senior year. Many colleges penalize GEDs by making them wait.

Stay in school...any school. And it's more than just education...it's about socialization as well. Have fun, too!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM

3,382 posts, read 3,912,440 times
I know a lot of people that have GED's and havent been able to really get ahead in life. But this not always the case. I dropped out of highschool, mid senior year, took my GED test that weekend, and started in college a month later. Since then I have obtained 3 degrees from two Colleges, and have never had an employer have an issue with me having a GED.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,462,649 times
I agree with the others who said that once you have your next step completed, it won't matter as much. Until then, it could be an issue.

If you were getting your GED now and starting college in Jan, I bet people probably wouldn't have as much issue with it.

There are always going to be some people who are horrified with it.

When I was about to start my junior year of hs, my mom moved us to a big city and enrolled me in a school that, frankly, I was scared to set foot in the neighborhood it was located. She thought because it was a magnet school it would be great. I decided I would drop out and get my GED and start community college right away. She had a conniption fit and found a private school that with the help of family, we could afford (for whatever reason she did not want to consider the cheaper option of me attending a nearby suburban public school as an out of district student). I had a great experience at that private school, and I am glad I did it, but I often wonder had I gotten the GED would I have stayed on the track of going straight to community college and actually gotten a 4-yr degree possibly ahead of my former classmates or would I have screwed up and ended up with a GED and a few yrs of college (in which case a hs diploma probably would have been better).

Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM

6,295 posts, read 9,825,450 times
Where are you going to college with a GED?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,472,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
GEDs are the red-headed stepchildren of diplomas. To me they scream "unmotivated slacker".
Sharp, straightforward, and honest. I agree with this statement 100%. It's "good" compared to someone who never finished HS but its definitely nothing to brag about.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I know a lot of people that have GED's and havent been able to really get ahead in life. But this not always the case. I dropped out of highschool, mid senior year, took my GED test that weekend, and started in college a month later. Since then I have obtained 3 degrees from two Colleges, and have never had an employer have an issue with me having a GED.
That's because you showed you were motivated rather than just trying to avoid extra work.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Sharp, straightforward, and honest. I agree with this statement 100%. It's "good" compared to someone who never finished HS but its definitely nothing to brag about.
If one can follow it up with some definitive action, such as a good solid college degree with a good GPA, then the "blot" so to speak falls off the record. But...I'd say stay in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education