Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,529,079 times

Advertisements

After hearing assorted allegations concerning the Heene/Balloon Boy children I cannot understand how they attend school and aren't exhibiting some signs of distress which would require a teacher or administrator to make a report to CPS.

From what I have seen of them as they were interviewed with their parents and from clips of the Wife Swap show and the nasty rap video--I cannot believe they are happy well-adjusted kids.

I realize that most of what is being revealed by former associates may well be more garbage. 'Domestic Violence' is a serious matter.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 01:15 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,322,378 times
When I was 5 years old, I stood before a man in my family who was attempting to rape me. He had molested me since he could get his hand in my pants while I sat on his lap at the very table where my mother sat across from me..from birth. I was terrified and my 3 year old sister coming into the house was what stopped him. I told my parents who made me keep it secret and forced me to be around him and sit on his lap when he visited. There were 7 different sexual abusers and my mother beat me every day. I can count on one hand the number of times I was allowed to stay at a friends house until I moved out. Many days I sat on the school bus with a friend while I brushed out the hair that was ripped loose by my mother. I had belt welts across my back, stomach, chest, legs and arms. I have a scar on my head where I asked for a glass of water with a coffee cup to share with 3 siblings after a more than 20 hour rip and she threw it at my head.

When I finally had enough and tried to tell my high school counselor, she told me that I was looking for attention because I had friends, stayed out of trouble, had good grades, and was even in a couple of sports. EVEN after I did get into a little trouble at 17 and that friend cried loudly and hysterically that my mother was going to beat me and begged them not to let my mom come get me, they sent me home. Of course, my mom heard that story so when they asked and I said no, not this time but it's happened before, they did nothing. Then she did her best to become best friends with my friend and was successful into making her believe for awhile that I was the one that was bad, such as saying she was protecting siblings, ect. thought I was the one protecting my siblings from her, hence the everyday thing.

It's not always easy to spot. Besides, there is no public report of abuse to the children, just that this young man has a crazy father. Some men have certain ideas as to what a women should be and would never dream of laying a finger on one of their precious sons. If he had a daughter, I'd be much more concerned. You also have to remember that the Wife Swap crew encourages the kids to act up and eggs them on. The father also wanted to be "famous" from shock value and made sure what his kids did was over the top, though I doubt it's like that everyday.

The school had their own opinions I am sure, with them pulling their kids out to go chasing storms but if the kids are coming back oohing and ahhing to the excited ears of their peers and they managed to keep their grades up, there really isn't anything against that.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,529,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post

The school had their own opinions I am sure, with them pulling their kids out to go chasing storms but if the kids are coming back oohing and ahhing to the excited ears of their peers and they managed to keep their grades up, there really isn't anything against that.
I am sorry you had a difficult experience.

The values that are being taught at home would indicate that there are some serious problems but perhaps we haven't yet gotten to the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education