Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times

Advertisements

I feel like I am going to stumble around trying to ask this question. I am looking for answers from different perspectives. I realize that differences in states and in districts. I also realize that there is a huge difference between a parent of a child, a teacher, counselor, or other.

You have a child in the classroom that you suspect is intellectually disabled or has a learning disability. I would like to know what happens next. Is a referral made? What is the length of time before they are tested, the actual testing, and when the results are known? Who does the testing and how is it paid for? Do you feel that it is adequate?

Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 03:38 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
A parent can request an evaluation (better to do it in writing and keep a copy) and the school district has a certain time frame in which they must conduct the testing. The last I remember was 60 school days, but if that has changed, somebody can correct me. The testing (free to the parent) would then be conducted by a school psychologist, usually employed by the district but sometimes through a third party provider. As far as the adequacy of the testing, the answer of course is 'it depends'. Sometimes the evaluators are very good, sometimes they aren't. A parent can also pay for private testing and try to have it reimbursed, but will often have to go through due process in order to get it. The testing will typically include some type of IQ testing (usually the Wisc-IV in my area) along with some achievement testing.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
If you're in any kind of hurry, I would suggest doing the testing privately. In Georgia, at least, the school system seems to resist these requests by parents, using excuses such as the child's grades are too high, there's no discrepancy between the child's grades and cognitive testing scores (e.g., the CogAT in GA), etc., etc.

I've seen the process stretch out for months. I find that most parents need to raise a BIG stink to get the ball rolling in a timely manner.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Here's the law. It's federal~IDEA

Within 65 business days from the date of the referral for an initial screening, the evaluation components must be complete and eligibility for special education determined. Eligibility is determined by the Special Education Committee after review of all pertinent information. When a student has been determined eligible for special education, a summary of essential deliberations is forwarded to the IEP team. The IEP must be developed within 30 calendar days of eligibility.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
If you're in any kind of hurry, I would suggest doing the testing privately. In Georgia, at least, the school system seems to resist these requests by parents, using excuses such as the child's grades are too high, there's no discrepancy between the child's grades and cognitive testing scores (e.g., the CogAT in GA), etc., etc.

I've seen the process stretch out for months. I find that most parents need to raise a BIG stink to get the ball rolling in a timely manner.
It isn't allowed by law to stretch out for months. If the parent makes the request, it has to be acted upon. I do realize that some school districts in GA are better than others. We moved here with an IEP in place for one of our kids, and had no problem with getting it accepted. My friend has been voicing her concern about her daughter to me. I encouraged her to request IEP testing, and it took less than two weeks to start the process.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 PM

134 posts, read 342,949 times
Google RTI, which stands for Response to Intervention. It is suppose to be a 3 tier process before a student gets tested for a learning disability. There seems to be a lot of debate and interpretation. You could always ask for a meeting and insist on a 504 if you have had your own private testing suggest a need.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
JustTess,

That's exactly what I've seen happen (I'm a psychologist in private practice). Parent requests an SST (Student Support Team) meeting to discuss possible eligibility for an IEP and testing. Parent is put off for a week or two, meeting takes place, then they're told that it will go to RTI, which puts off the testing process for a while longer.

I've told my patients to put the request in writing and send it certified mail/return receipt requested so that they don't get the "We never received that request" run-around nonsense from the school.

The school psychologists are so overloaded (usually one per 4 or more schools in a district) that they try to weed out anyone they possibly can. Kids do get denied sometimes if their academic grades are Average or better, regardless of what their actual intellectual potential may be. Kids with average or above average grades CAN have LD's, but a lot of times, those kids get screened out as "ineligible" before they're even tested.

Very frustrating for a lot of parents. That's why I recommend private testing: as long as the private tester is familiar with that school system's requirements (e.g., which IQ test they prefer, etc...), the school system will frequently accept those results.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Ok, I should have been more clear, this isn't for me or mine.

Thank you for the responses. I was trying to figure out where and when the ball is being dropped.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:

It's the law that they need to be tested in a timely manner. It is a federal law (IDEA-I think) so it shouldn't vary by state. Any parents who are getting a hard time should enforce thier rights immediately.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Quote:

Wow that was exactly our situation (we are in GA). To the original poster, We have found things move very quickly when a teacher makes a referal as opposed to a parent. I was actually even told this by a speech therapist at our child's school. Can you speak with the teacher and see if you can get him or her on board??? See if they can make the referal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education