Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 01:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
So what if a student calls out a teacher in the middle of class? The teacher is wrong.

If the teacher doesn't like being called out, perhaps the teacher should stop being wrong.
Isn't it more about tact, and recognizing there is a time and place for everything? Also, recognizing that the purpose is to gain clarity and not to show someone up?

If your boss is wrong about something in a meeting, are you going to jump in and correct him in front of everyone? And in a tactless manner at that? What about a coworker who is providing training? Will you do it then? And be seen not as a smart person but as a jerk? Not too smart. Not very socially adept.

A teacher is, for the semester or year, a boss of sorts of one's education. I wouldn't want a student to tactlessly proclaim that I am wrong in front of a class, if I were a teacher. But there are ways to ask productive questions: "But I thought... another teacher told me ... my research indicted..." That's not walking on eggshells or stroking egos. It's simply seeking clarity while tactfully putting the teacher on notice that the information conveyed is faulty.

Yes, there are some teachers who bristle at any hint of correction. I don't think you'd gain anything by correcting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I don't find "tact" to be an intelligent use of my brain. Many highly intelligent people don't fit in well socially.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't find "tact" to be an intelligent use of my brain. Many highly intelligent people don't fit in well socially.
I see. What about common sense? Would you determine that to be a useless brain function also?

Fitting in well socially may be overrated in some respects. But so is being highly intelligent. I value high intelligence. And using it wisely in many different domains increases its value. However, using it for lesser pursuits, such as correcting someone publicly just for the heck of it, is rather... low-brow.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
So what if a student calls out a teacher in the middle of class? The teacher is wrong.

If the teacher doesn't like being called out, perhaps the teacher should stop being wrong.
Do you like being embarassed when you're wrong? Or are we to believe you're never wrong? If anyone believes that, I have a bridge I'd like to talk to you about.

Every last one of us has been wrong at some point in time. Rudeness is not called for. Tact is. Why cast stones? You're only asking for it when you turn up wrong. (It's a good thing a student of mine who thinks she's all that has me as a teacher. I could have, so easily, embarassed her yesterday like she tries to do with me. Instead I pulled her aside and told her she'd misread the material.)

Teachers have way more opportunities to misspeak or get something wrong just because of the volume of material they handle. That's not reason for public humiliation. That's, actually, reason for handling it in private.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I see. What about common sense? Would you determine that to be a useless brain function also?

Fitting in well socially may be overrated in some respects. But so is being highly intelligent. I value high intelligence. And using it wisely in many different domains increases its value. However, using it for lesser pursuits, such as correcting someone publicly just for the heck of it, is rather... low-brow.
Common sense is making sure people have the RIGHT answer, and are not misinformed. Hurt feelings are not particularly important.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
I had a particularly incompetent world history teacher in the tenth grade. I had a habit of reading my textbooks, and I was usually at least a chapter or two ahead of the class. I clearly recall my teacher's response when I pointed out to him, meekly I thought, that the date to which he was referring was the 2nd century and not the 20th century. It could have been a slip of the tongue, but knowing him, it could just as easily been another episode of his general incompetence. He went off, chastising me to the point where I never did it again. I kept my own counsel.

As a teacher, I encourage my students to correct me when I make a mistake. Do it politely and respectfully, and don't be impertinent. I give extra points on tests when students find a mistake in something that I should have proofread. I also caution them about correcting other teachers.

I think that some teacher overreact because they feel threatened. I don't feel threatened by my students. I"m trying to teach them to be observant and think critically. If more people at NASA had spoken up about the effect of cold on O-rings, the Challenger disaster might have been avoided. It's all about courtesy. I have poor social skills, but I try to be courteous.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:44 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,620 times
Yes! If you want a real-life example of this, read up on the corporate culture of Bridgewater Associates. They are one of the most successful hedge funds in the world.

What sets them apart? Anyone, and I mean anyone can call out their manager, or anyone that they believe is wrong, at any time. It doesn't matter what rank in the company you are. You better have an incredibly thick skin to work there!

The object of this is to get to the truth - not to hurt someone's feelings and feel good about it.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Common sense is making sure people have the RIGHT answer, and are not misinformed. Hurt feelings are not particularly important.
And how's that working out in your relationships?

Part of being human IS considering feelings. Treating people like their feelings don't matter is nothing to be proud of. It's something to be ashamed of.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And how's that working out in your relationships?

Part of being human IS considering feelings. Treating people like their feelings don't matter is nothing to be proud of. It's something to be ashamed of.
That's romantic relationships. The relationship between a teacher and her students should be limited to the classroom.

Are you saying that a student calling out a teacher would hurt her wittle feelings? Ohh poor baby! I can't imagine a 12 year old correcting my mistakes in public! Gee, I don't know what I'd do with myself!

If you are teaching kids, you need to have a thick skin.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:44 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,097 times
Quote:
That's romantic relationships. The relationship between a teacher and her students should be limited to the classroom.

Are you saying that a student calling out a teacher would hurt her wittle feelings? Ohh poor baby! I can't imagine a 12 year old correcting my mistakes in public! Gee, I don't know what I'd do with myself!

If you are teaching kids, you need to have a thick skin.
At the risk of seeming to come in on Ivory's side here, let me just observe personality types again?

Some people's types have them assuming the person who is supposed to be in charge is imbued with some special respect automatically - and therefore, unfailingly, giving it.

Other people's types have them granting authority only on a personal basis to those who have earned it, one to one.

Ivory has consistently stated her belief that "having gotten the certification and the job, the teacher has earned the respect of the students." Clearly, she felt this way as a student, as well, and felt that showing up the teacher in any way shape or manner was being disrespectful. The position is respect-worthy.

Equally clearly, more than one of us have consistently stated our belief that neither the title of teacher nor the job nor the certification earns our respect - that it is up to the individual teacher to do that based on conduct in and around the classroom. We respect the person, not the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education