Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times

Advertisements

Personal satisfaction does. Survival does. If I have food and shelter, that's all I require. I provide my own security, by remaining healthy enough to take care of myself. But any money beyond enough to buy the basics is overkill...so I'm not interested in it.

You realize I don't own this computer, right? I don't own a TV, or a car, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,469,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Personal satisfaction does. Survival does. If I have food and shelter, that's all I require. I provide my own security, by remaining healthy enough to take care of myself. But any money beyond enough to buy the basics is overkill...so I'm not interested in it.

You realize I don't own this computer, right? I don't own a TV, or a car, either.
At some point in our lives, we all need someone. Hopefully, we'll all be able to work as long as we want and stay healthy until we drop in our tracks but there are no guarantees in life. IMO, surrounding yourself with people who love you is hedging your bets not isolating yourself from them.

This is going to sound stupid, but one of my fondest memories of my father now is giving him pedicures. I used to hate it but he couldn't afford the prices at the nursing home so I got the toenail clippers out when I came to visit. Now I'm glad there was something I could do for him that he couldn't do himself. I had a chance to give back to him and he allowed me to. Things always look different in hind sight, don't they?

My dad used to say "When you're old, all you have is your kids". He was so worried about me having kids. I don't think it was a coincidence that I got pregnant, against all odds, just months after he died.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:39 PM

241 posts, read 222,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree with this but there are also very intelligent people with "regular" and low IQs and I feel they should be included as well.

When I was about 12 or 13 I took an IQ test and it was a 113 but it said the test was designed for people over 18 and the results may be flawed for people under 18.

I know this is unrelated but is a 113 IQ low, regular, or high?
It's in the "above average" range. IQ scores can change over time as well.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... don't most schools have gifted programs now? At least a lot? I'm not sure how it should be different post school though...
AP classes are the fullest extent of the "gifted" education. The school administrators, councilors, etc. fight tooth-and-nail to make certain that you can't advance beyond that in the years of public education.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,440,554 times
Just an fyi, This thread was started six years ago. Ironic that Timemachineman popped it up!

Timemachineman, You are speaking from just one experience - your own. In my local HS, kids often take dual enrollment classes with the local community college as well as travel to very good local colleges, such as Lehigh. Generally our guidance counselors encourage kids to stretch, whether they are gifted or not.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Articles & Commentary

Charles Murray argues that the most intellectually able should have their abilities both challenged and nurtured - for their own sakes and for society's, as well:
"The problem with the education of the gifted involves not their professional training, but their training as citizens. We live in an age when it is unfashionable to talk about the special responsibility of being gifted, because to do so acknowledges inequality of ability, and this sounds elitist."
The most intellectually gifted students are often ostracized by normal students, and frustrated by the illogical fallacies of their "education", because they know that public education protocol is highly flawed and holding them back from their potential for achievement/accomplishment (especially the lower household income students). Is that not inequality, in and of itself? In other countries, students like these students are nurtured, and become much more knowledgeable, in addition to intelligent (sometimes) as a result. I for one, think Charles Murray is correct.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Just an fyi, This thread was started six years ago. Ironic that Timemachineman popped it up!

Timemachineman, You are speaking from just one experience - your own. In my local HS, kids often take dual enrollment classes with the local community college as well as travel to very good local colleges, such as Lehigh. Generally our guidance counselors encourage kids to stretch, whether they are gifted or not.
No, I've talked to a lot of other people who have had almost identical experiences to mine, both online and in the real world. So it's actually many people talking through a representative, in technicality. Are the dual enrollment classes called "AP" classes, or are they actually anything above 1st or 2nd year college courses? What I'm referring to is the lack of support for anything above that.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,405,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... don't most schools have gifted programs now? At least a lot? I'm not sure how it should be different post school though...
Why not tell them which books are really worth reading so they don't have to waste time wading through garbage on their own?

Of course the problem with that is who decides what is garbage.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
Anxiety Culture: Tyranny of Words - excerpt
http://archive.org/details/tyrannyofwords00chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8

I wish someone had told me about that in high school.

Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein are more intellectually interesting than most teachers.

The "gifted" courses tend to be more complicated but idiotic busywork.

But this ain't the 60s any more. Now kids can buy these:

http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspbe...=rasberry+pi+2

Who needs school?

psik

Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,566,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachineman View Post
No, I've talked to a lot of other people who have had almost identical experiences to mine, both online and in the real world. So it's actually many people talking through a representative, in technicality. Are the dual enrollment classes called "AP" classes, or are they actually anything above 1st or 2nd year college courses? What I'm referring to is the lack of support for anything above that.
Homeschooling is always an option if you're not happy with public school.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Why not tell them which books are really worth reading so they don't have to waste time wading through garbage on their own?

Of course the problem with that is who decides what is garbage.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
Anxiety Culture: Tyranny of Words - excerpt
http://archive.org/details/tyrannyofwords00chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8

I wish someone had told me about that in high school.

Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein are more intellectually interesting than most teachers.

The "gifted" courses tend to be more complicated but idiotic busywork.

But this ain't the 60s any more. Now kids can buy these:

http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspbe...=rasberry+pi+2

Who needs school?

psik
Or, you know, people could decide for themselves what reading materials suit their personal taste. And also recognize that in the course of learning, particular materials not suiting your taste isn't really criteria for whether or not it has merit within someone's chosen curriculum. You don't have to LIKE everything in order to learn from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education