Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times

Advertisements

We got one as a gift, and the kids listened to it a couple of times, that was it. I'm shocked that Disney is giving refunds...when do the 'lose weight fast' people join in? HA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
I bought a box set of six for my granddaughter who loved them,
we like to think shes a little genius and of coarse I could go on and on
with her accomplishments.
I've never heard any guaranteed genius claim about the videos.
But, theres no way I'll return something which brought so much enjoyment.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
I got a few as a gift for my last baby and I must admit I don't really use them. The music is nice.

My 2-yr old just LOVES Barney. He loves the songs and the kids singing and dancing. He also loves the "barr-barrs" which is what he calls the monsters on Sesame Street. We have a couple of old pre-Elmo videos (Learning about letters, Learning about Numbers) and the book "Monster at the End of This Book, starring Grover" and he loves them. Loves "What did that say????" when I do my Grover voice.

The educational videos my kids really love are the LeapFrog ones.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

My 2-yr old just LOVES Barney.

LOL! Mine did too, at two. I was horrified, and vaguely disturbed that there existed a short preadolescent male character named "BJ". =80 But hey, it was a 22 minute reprieve in which I could take a shower and get dressed without someone scaling the baby gate and eating cleanser or something.

Baby Einstein didn't exist then, and aside from their skeery affection for Barney, they preferred watching the Weather Channel and picking the baby locks. I don't know if Jim Cantore made an appreciable difference in their intellect or not. (Maybe it balanced out Barney and Bear in the Big Blue House?)

Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
The autistic children that I work with, especially the younger and nonverbal, seem to like them. I was never that impressed, myself. I in general don't stick kids in front of TV, but it can be soothing for kids within the autism spectrum at times when nothing else is.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Never used these- don't think they were around when I had small children, but-

is there any evidence at all to show the products of this merchandise (the kids themselves) skip grades/make straight As/go to college early?

My children are a product of a single mom, military, Christian and they all excelled in school. 1 starting college at 16, the other at 15 and my 14 year old has skipped a grade already and we are looking at 'early college' starting next year-11th grade.

But I do have great nieces and hope to have grandchildren one day- so I may be a potential purchaser of these dvds.
There really isn't any evidence for it in almost any products out there. My daughter is very advanced so she as an individual was able to see things in things like this that other kids can not but it wasn't MAKING her advanced...she was born that way. I have had enough of lisping baby bweaw (bear) and poor grammar elmo, dora and deigo that teach kids to play with dangerous animals rather than getting an adult to help, wonder pets (again with the lisping and baby talk), ect, ect. I HATE that crap. We use to be big into this junk but saw that it was only hurting, not helping DD so we cut it long ago and now if they watch something, it Avatar or Spongebob for cartoons (my compromises) or Discovery, Animal Planet, History, Science, or whatever might be on channel 2 such as Nova.

The only thing that seemed to move her along a little faster was Leap Frog's movie ABC factory. Did it make her smarter? No. She did learn the sound each letter made in just four days....but most toddlers would NOT get that, especially that fast. Most kids will not be reading at age three. It just meant...if it was available to her, she could and would grasp it all that much sooner.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
No. They weren't out when my kids were babies, but even if they were, I think they're a waste time and money.

I have a decent set of classical CD's which I would play often -especially when they were painting or playing with clay and toys.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
My daughter is 4 now, and she LOVED those videos. We still have a bunch and will probably let our new baby watch them too.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Yikes. I didn't know that some parents actually took that stuff seriously.

Best thing most parents can do for their child: kill your television.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,234 times
We've got several, though my kids are too old for them now. My daughter wasn't really into tv, nothing really held her attention, my son would have rather watched the Lion King 47 times than anything else.

I don't recall anyone promising that my child would become a genius.

I don't get it....People who were dumb enough to believe that these movies would make their child a genius are now going to get a refund????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education