Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The one I'm thinking of was done in the US. They took a camera and attended college graduations and selected random graduates (standing in cap and gown) to answer a set of questions. I remember that one of the schools was a famous one out east but I can't remember which one it was. This was shown in my science methods class in grad school. It was an eye opener.
The film is "A Private Universe", and it was done at a Harvard graduation ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well said. History is one thing we need to know. I have students and parents alike who get upset that I test kids on science history. I get "What does that have to do with doing chemistry?" and "Why do we need to know THIS stuff?".
I wish more teachers would teach the history of science! It's a great way to show students the nature of science, something everyone should have a basic understanding of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Adolf Hitler was a German football coach, say one in 20 children.
I bet they didn't know that he coached Manchester United.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
It's scary the level of knowlege, or lack of, regarding some of the most important moments in history. I give students a pass when it comes to WW1. That thing was a political mess. WW2 was more clear cut and yet many students can't even get right the three nations we were at war with or even the decade in which the war happened. I've heard some students think in WW2 we were at war with Vietnam.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Folks VE day was 65 years ago. It is not part of todays kids lives it is history and just that, history. Most don't have relatives still alive who fought in the war and can tell stories not that they do. The generational experiences in the world today are considerable and they probably consider adults fairly uneducated about the world of today and not just the history of today be the technology of today etc.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Folks VE day was 65 years ago. It is not part of todays kids lives it is history and just that, history. Most don't have relatives still alive who fought in the war and can tell stories not that they do. The generational experiences in the world today are considerable and they probably consider adults fairly uneducated about the world of today and not just the history of today be the technology of today etc.
The problem is that many adults who certainly have those family contexts are probably just as ignorant when it comes to basic history. This is only one example of a much larger problem.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
As someone who works with school-age children, I am happy to hear it is only one in twenty.

Look around. There are tons of ignorant people and those people are making babies.
I think what each person considers "ignorant" is going to vary. I think the fact that there are women having babies and don't know there are different "holes" for urination and menstral cycles is appalling. Yet I can't identify a single country in Asia, and I've just recently learned European geography.

While it's sad that children, and adults alike, don't seem to know much about WWII, can you blame them or the schools? I must say, in my US History and World History classes, we didn't come anywhere close to talking about WWI, much less WWII. In college, I was a bio major. It wasn't part of my curriculum to learn this. (I'm a WWII buff now, but studied it on my own time)

So while a person may be ignorant on a particular subject, that doesn't make them an idiot, either.

flyers29
Quote:
This is only one example of a much larger problem.
Yes, this is. Apparently, if it's not on a standardized test, or lead to a career/job opportunity, it's not particularly important.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Is it true that in some history classes, there are lessons on celebrities (actors and singers)? I can understand lessons on such celebrities if it were a drama or music class but not in American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education