Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

To 12-year-old Suzannah Pabla, piercing her nose was a way to connect with her roots in India. To Suzannah's school, it was a dress-code violation worthy of a suspension.

To other Indians, the incident was emblematic of how it can still be difficult for the American melting pot to absorb certain aspects of their cultural and religious traditions.

Utah girl's pierced nose: US-Indian culture clash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Thank goodness I don't live in Bountiful, Utah. I hope other parents at the school were outraged by this as well. I'm pretty surprised that body piercings are a dress-code violation at a public school; I didn't realize that they could do that.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
It would be a dress code violation in my local middle school (in Florida). Though oddly, not at the high school.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
It's not surprising to me that this is a dress-code violation in middle school. Not sure why people would be outraged - I thought the school was pretty lenient in how they dealt with it.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:08 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
To 12-year-old Suzannah Pabla, piercing her nose was a way to connect with her roots in India. To Suzannah's school, it was a dress-code violation worthy of a suspension.

To other Indians, the incident was emblematic of how it can still be difficult for the American melting pot to absorb certain aspects of their cultural and religious traditions.

Utah girl's pierced nose: US-Indian culture clash
The school rightfully claims that the nose-piercing is a cultural choice, not a religious one, and therefore they are well within their rights to tell her to not wear the jewelry.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM

I don't see how a public school can "rightfully" ban a cultural practice. I think its worthy of outrage, although I'm happy to see that they backed down in the end.

Piercings (whether cultural, religious, or something else) should be between the child and the parent, and not the school. It would be a different situation if this were a private school. It's the same thing as the overzealous schools that once in awhile make news because they try to ban a kid from wearing a necklace with a cross. Kids shouldn't have to give up all rights when they walk in the door to their school.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't see how a public school can "rightfully" ban a cultural practice. I think its worthy of outrage, although I'm happy to see that they backed down in the end.
Trust me, there are a lot of cultural practices that have no place in public schools. Since the schools can't play favorites and cherry pick which ones are okay, it's more fair to simply ban them all.

As far as piercings go, the dress code is the dress code. Don't like it? Pay for private school that allows you to wear whatever you want.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM

I don't think I should have to pay for private school just because I think my kids should have the right to have a pierced nose. Now whether or not I would let my kid have a pierced nose is a different story, but that's not the school's business.

The thing is, schools ARE cherry picking cultural practices.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I don't think I should have to pay for private school just because I think my kids should have the right to have a pierced nose. Now whether or not I would let my kid have a pierced nose is a different story, but that's not the school's business.

The thing is, schools ARE cherry picking cultural practices.
Your kid can have a pierced nose. They simply may not be able to wear jewelry in it while at school. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:

Piercings (whether cultural, religious, or something else) should be between the child and the parent, and not the school. It would be a different situation if this were a private school. It's the same thing as the overzealous schools that once in awhile make news because they try to ban a kid from wearing a necklace with a cross. Kids shouldn't have to give up all rights when they walk in the door to their school.
Would it be OK if kids came to school nude? That's a cultural practice for some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education