Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times

Advertisements

Similar to MSNBC and just ignor it? Isn't the science settled?

In the course of my work I visit a number of university and college campuses and I am always taken aback when walking through corridors seeing hyped up posters about global warming, how the science is already done and how we're all gonna die unless we go back to living in caves.

Al Gore's face plastered on every wall as if he is some sort of expert.

Are professors spending the Thanksgiving holiday furiously rewriting lectures or do they think nobody will notice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Why do they need to rewrite the lectures? We already know climactic change is happening and that we are impacting that change. It's not instantaneous you know. These things take time. The big question is will global warming (increased greenhouse gasses) trigger another ice age. One theory says it will and we're also due for another one.

Fluctuations in the levels of green house gasses are normal. People are just speeding up the process. There is, however, more than just greenhouse gasses to consider in deciding which way it will go, however, change will happen. It's already started. There are changes in the gulf stream, the jet stream and the ozone layer as well as changes we have nothing to do with like the area in the ocean (sorry can't remember whether it's the atlantic or pacific but I want to say pacific. I haven't followed this closely) where the magnetic field is in flux. All we can really do is watch and wait but while we're waiting it makes sense to cut back on greenhouse gas emissions and stop deforestation. Our forests are our buffers for greenhouse gasses.

I think the question today is which change will happen first and cause a disaster. The magnetic field could flip and leave us vulnerable to cosmic radiation. Another theory says that a massive solar storm could take out every transformer on the planet and leave us in the dark for years. We could slowly heat up and the ice caps begin to melt resulting in higher oceans or increased greenhouse gasses may be the trigger for another ice age and we'll go the other direction. Also, yellowstone is due to erupt and that will take out a good section of the United States and kick so much ash into the stratosphere that global warming will be the last thing on our minds.

Pick your poison. There's little we can really do about most of them so we do what we can about the ones we can. Of course, it may simply be too late for that. Who knows.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:21 AM

164 posts, read 298,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There are changes in the gulf stream, the jet stream and the ozone layer as well as changes we have nothing to do with like the area in the ocean (sorry can't remember whether it's the atlantic or pacific but I want to say pacific. I haven't followed this closely) where the magnetic field is in flux.
Are you referring to the South Atlantic Anomoley?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We could slowly heat up and the ice caps begin to melt resulting in higher oceans
Begin?

Been watching the news for the last decade?

The ice caps have begunto melt. There is, for the first time in recorded history, a Northwest Passage - and a Northeast Passage, about the Eurasian land mass, as well!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:37 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Similar to MSNBC and just ignor it? Isn't the science settled?

In the course of my work I visit a number of university and college campuses and I am always taken aback when walking through corridors seeing hyped up posters about global warming, how the science is already done and how we're all gonna die unless we go back to living in caves.

Al Gore's face plastered on every wall as if he is some sort of expert.

Are professors spending the Thanksgiving holiday furiously rewriting lectures or do they think nobody will notice?
Hyperbole much? I guess you are just seeking to achieve balance with the hyperbole on the other side.

Global warming isn't a hoax. That's not what the news was or is. Has there been academic incompetence? Absolutely. (Boy, is that shocking, huh?)

Has there been academic fraud? Possibly. (Shall I wait for you to ask about the cancer hoax, too? Or the cloning hoax?)

But a look at the north and south poles, a look at the Himalayas and the Andes, a look at Kilimanjaro, a drive along Glacier Way in Alberta, or a trip to Glacier National Park will tell you that global warming is happening - and global climate change as a result of that warming (causing changes other than increased warmth).

It's good of the conservative side to keep those pesky scientists honest, since the conservatives are the voice of integrity and honesty! </sarcasm>

Pick a heated debate, any debate.

Now show me one in which both sides have behaved with integrity...

Old 11-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnt-User View Post
Are you referring to the South Atlantic Anomoley?
Probably, lol. Wrong ocean there. As I said, I haven't followed this. Just kind of a curiosity I came across. We're due to have our poles do a 180. As long as they flip instead of turn off. If we lose our magnetosphere, we go the way of Mars . Not good, not good at all.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Global warming is not a hoax. Weather you want to believe it is happening or not, well that is your business. It is unfortunate that there are people out there like Gore and Watts who are spreading false information (on opposite sides of the spectrum), that still does not make it any less true.

The only real debates are what is the cause and what will be the consequences.

What college professors are going to rewrite their lectures? My oceanography teachers sure as hell aren't.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Global warming is not a hoax. Weather you want to believe it is happening or not, well that is your business. It is unfortunate that there are people out there like Gore and Watts who are spreading false information (on opposite sides of the spectrum), that still does not make it any less true.

The only real debates are what is the cause and what will be the consequences.

What college professors are going to rewrite their lectures? My oceanography teachers sure as hell aren't.
They'll rewrite the lectures once we figure out what the consequences are. We know climate is changing. We just don't know which way. Until then, it's business as usual.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
I don't see why they'd be re-writing lectures. Of course, you could certainly discuss the reality that all these genius world leaders are full-steam ahead on the anthropogenic global warming trend and how international policy in this arena will affect global economy.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
same way we handled involvency, marriage & family meltdown non recovery from recession, illegal alien invasion and K12 meltdown and highest prison population on earth, denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education