Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yeah, but the instructions that come with the med say to use 2.2 ml/1000 mg. There is a limit on how much you can shoot in to any one spot. And while the stuff is vile, it comes in a vial.
LMAO. In math, we work with many assumptions (to simplify the math), one of which in my problem was an unlimited amount of solution can be shot up, LOL. I know that's BS, though, as there are other constraints on the system. That's where more math can come in!

As for spelling, well, I'll stick to calculations. I'll just run any writing by the technical writer, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've been thinking about this lately and was wondering if algebra was over emphasized when you consider that most people will never really need it after they finish school.

To those who took algerbra in school how often do you use it now?
Shoot, I majored in English and moved on to advertising. And yet I use it a great deal in everyday life. I'm the guy who knows how to mark up production, etc. etc. Really, algebra is a great technique for problem solving. I have no idea why people would let that slide.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about this lately and was wondering if algebra was over emphasized when you consider that most people will never really need it after they finish school.

To those who took algerbra in school how often do you use it now?
If you are talking about using quadratic equations or finding the slope of a line, then yeah, you won't use it in your day to day routine.

However, I personally believe that math in general is very unappreciated in this country.

Algebra is basically just a simplified way of solving for X-finding an unknown- and chances are you do this a couple times a week without even really thinking about.

Do I use text-book algebraic equations? Not really, but I home brew and calculate a lot of conversions, time, volumes, alcohol content, and a few others.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you are talking about using quadratic equations or finding the slope of a line, then yeah, you won't use it in your day to day routine.
At one time, I worked as a marketing director for a roofing manufacturer. Understanding how slope is calculated came in very handy for those in that line of work who estimated materials. Algebra is everywhere!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times
Algebra and simple math are important. It's the more advanced maths that people don't use unless they have a certain job.

It's amazing how easy Algebra seems the older you get. I took Algebra in 8th grade and found it extremely hard. Then I took it again in 9th grade and it was easy. By the time I was a senior in high school, I would help freshmen with their algebra homework and it looked like elementary school math compared to my Pre-Calculus.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
At one time, I worked as a marketing director for a roofing manufacturer. Understanding how slope is calculated came in very handy for those in that line of work who estimated materials. Algebra is everywhere!
Funny you mention that. I remember my Algebra book had examples of how Algebra is used in the real world. One of the examples was a carpenter measuring slope. I used that example as a reason why Algebra is important outside of school when another student said it's useless.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
That article says Algebra shouldn't be a graduation requirement. Since Algebra is typically where students start out in high school, I guess the author of the article thinks you shouldn't have to take math at all in high school. That's like saying you shouldn't have to take English at all in high school.

Anyone over the age of 15 should find Algebra easy. People that say Algebra is hard have never spent any time in an advanced math class, like Pre-Calculus. Anyone that took Pre-Calculus would never say Algebra is hard.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
I began studying algebra in 7th grade during junior high school (back when there was a junior high school), and my kids are starting even younger. Algebra is part of the fifth grade curriculum in our school district.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I began studying algebra in 7th grade during junior high school (back when there was a junior high school), and my kids are starting even younger. Algebra is part of the fifth grade curriculum in our school district.
Is the class called Algebra or do the teachers just incorporate some algebra into the lessons? My 3rd grade teacher incorporated some very beginner level algebra into the lessons but the class called Algebra wasn't available until 8th grade.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That article says Algebra shouldn't be a graduation requirement. Since Algebra is typically where students start out in high school, I guess the author of the article thinks you shouldn't have to take math at all in high school. That's like saying you shouldn't have to take English at all in high school.

Writing is the highest form of reasoning. This is a fact. Algebra is not. The proof of this, Gabriela, is all the people in my high school who were whizzes at math but did not know a thing about history and could not write a readable English sentence.

Math and Science Degrees More Valuable Than Liberal Arts?

Writer is an idiot. So is the girl that couldn't pass algebra. Algebra!!! How hard is 6x=3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education