Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times

Advertisements

When I was in college, I had no problem taking exams on the material that was covered in my classes. A lot of my exams required essays and fill in the blank rather than mutliple choice and I had no problem making a decent grade.

However, it seems like everytime I take a timed standardized test for a job, I end up doing poorly. Even if I study, I end up either not scoring high enough or my scores end up being just above the min. for passing.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Can this problem be solved? I'm starting to think that being timed is what is screwing up my scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I could maybe help you if you can isolate what you think the problem might be. Also, what kinds of tests are you taking? Several things that I can think of that might help with any test:

Efficient test taking skills: do you go thru and leave the hard ones until
later--do all the easy ones first? This gives you confidence and leaves
your mind clearer to tackle the hard ones later. Also, it really helps on a timed test, b/c even if you don't have time to finish the test, at least you missed the ones you might have missed anyway, and got all the ones done that you know the answer to. I always do this, and I always do well on multiple choice tests--the kind I assume you're having trouble with? I have ADD so this was a survival skill for me, but it turns out that studies back me up on this.

Do you eliminate obvious wrong answers on multiple choice problems? Most of the time, at least one of the answers is clearly wrong, and often 2 of them are--eliminate those, and you have a 50-50 chance. On the remaining 2, pay close attn to the wording--there might be something in there that will give it away.

Do you look at key words in the prompt--ones like always, never, etc? And how are your reading skills? The better they are, the better of a test-taker you will be. It goes w/out saying that you should read the question carefully, but even though I'm a really good test taker, I will get tripped up at least once per test. Sometimes, even if you don't know the answer, a key word will clue you in. An example: I'm studying for the spec. ed. praxis and here is a question on a practice test that I had no clue what it was except for the key word I bolded. "As an intervention, response cost is best suited for which of the following purposes?" I had no idea at first what response cost was, but know what intervention is, so I got the right answer anyway, b/c only one answer had anything to do with intervention.

Do you have problems with inattention or suspect that you have any learning disabilities? Some people can be really smart but have ADD or LD, so will need extended time to take a test. Of course you need a dx to get this accommodation, but it might be worth pursuing if you think this might be a problem. I'm thinking this isn't your problem b/c you did well on the other types of tests, but other people will be reading this.

Whenever I have a big test to study for, and I'm learning the material on my own, I look up a lot of material on the internet, and try to find test questions. Sometimes you have to be careful of course, b/c I've found tests with totally wrong answers, or ones that were poorly worded. Also, if there are any practice tests that come with the tests you're taking, pay the money--it's well spent.

How are you at picking up on the "big ideas" in a book? When you study, do you look at the material in the boxes and do you look at the words that are bolded. They are bolded b/c they're important, so make sure you learn the vocabulary and study the stuff that's highlighted.

Now, if you could just reciprocate by telling me how you did so well on those other kinds of tests--the ones where you actually had to know the material?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I had a friend who had this problem. She heard from somewhere to do some sort of vigorous exercise for 15 - 20 minutes just prior to taking the tests, and that this would help. So she began going for runs before she had to take her tests. She said it helped her... not sure why?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,937 times
To Stepka,
You seem to have a some very good ideas. May I ask what your profession is? I'm a medical student who has been having problems with my board exams and I'm trying to identify causes.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-28-2011 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Please do not post e-mail addresses

Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Good suggestions...there are various strategies for timed, standardized tests that make them not such a pain.

I've had to take standardized tests as an adult in order to add various certification areas to my teaching credentials, and it's always been something that's kind of a hassle, because I was an English major, and took very few exams of any kind at the collegiate level...most of my evaluations were in the form of writing papers, not taking tests. So it had been a while.

For me, I know it's a matter of not getting freaked out about the clock while in the testing situation and letting nerves take over. To that end, drilling and doing lots of practice tests to get my pacing down is helpful. It's never the content that bothers me, it's feeling anxiety that I'm taking too long per question and will run out of time.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
I have a similiar problem I have to do well in the subjects covered for whatever lesson I am studying .It because when I take a timed or a paper test my mind goes blank .Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education