Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
And the people in the community don't seem to notice until there's a break in school and the crime rate shoots up.

As a teacher, the scary thing for me is that the general public expects us to babysit these juvenile delinquents. Our community had a stand-off which occurred the day before the holiday break involving three teens caught during a residential burglary which caused a local elementary school to be put on lockdown. Later a columnist asked the question: "Why weren't these juveniles in someone's school?"

I sure don't want them in my school. These are the kids who do ruin everything for everyone else.
Why aren't the juvenile delinquents sent to another school to begin with? I've never understood the assumption that *everyone* should be going to the same local highschool.

-Private businesses don't have to accept everyone who enters.
-Owners of private property don't have to accept everyone who wants to come on their property.
-Same for employers.

Schools would be much better off if they adopted a private school philosophy. The only people there are the ones who want to learn. I think thats why colleges and 4 year schools are much better behavior wise, because you only get the cream of the crop that wants to be there. And they paid to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

105 posts, read 265,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
No, you have over-aged junior high kids the size of a high-school senior football player bullying under-aged, under-sized geeks who have been double-promoted.
Threaten lawsuit.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Why aren't the juvenile delinquents sent to another school to begin with? I've never understood the assumption that *everyone* should be going to the same local highschool.

-Private businesses don't have to accept everyone who enters.
-Owners of private property don't have to accept everyone who wants to come on their property.
-Same for employers.

Schools would be much better off if they adopted a private school philosophy. The only people there are the ones who want to learn. I think thats why colleges and 4 year schools are much better behavior wise, because you only get the cream of the crop that wants to be there. And they paid to be there.
1) If a child is not enrolled in school, the parents get in trouble.
2) Jobs these days seem to require a MINIMUM of a high school diploma. If you can't get one of those, you can't get hired. (dependent on age, that is). If a person can't get a job, where would you like them to do?
3) A school can already choose to expel a student--which means that they have to enroll in a different district.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some who are bullied have always become what they dispise. At issue today is media coverage. Kids grow up being told they are mommy's special snowflake and they deserve attention. It should be no surprise they choose to go out with a bang to get it. This is failure to teach our kids how to deal with adversity not some change in how bullying is dealt with. Kids used to feel bad, now they get mad and become a bully themselves. The escallation has to do with a rise in narcissism.
Wimpy kids felt bad, average kids fought back. That doesn't mean that they became a bully. That doesn't mean they expanded their range. I don't know you can say they're "mommy's special snowflake" when "mommy" isn't even home bothering to take care of them. She's at work.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Wimpy kids felt bad, average kids fought back. That doesn't mean that they became a bully. That doesn't mean they expanded their range. I don't know you can say they're "mommy's special snowflake" when "mommy" isn't even home bothering to take care of them. She's at work.
Moms usually only work 40 hours a week. That leaves 128 to pamper her snowflakes. Mom does not need to be at home to smother her kids nor does she need to be at home to take care of them. So much of the work housewives used to do is now automated that today's full time working mom actually has more discretionary time on her hands than her great grandmother who stayed at home. Unfortunately, it appears one of the things we decided to do with our extra time was lavish it on our children. Children never had it before and grew up fine without it. Now they are growing up expecting attention and don't deal with it well if they don't get it. To hear my grandmother tell it, her kids pretty much raised themselves while she did the housework. I once made the mistake of complaining to her when I had two in day care and a full time job. Man did she set me straight. She came up with 87 hours of work before she changed the first diaper. Now that's a working mom.

Personally, I think what's changed is the threat of death if you embarassed your parents. My grandparents would have killed my parents for not towing the line and my parents would have killed me. I think growing up knowing others expect certain behaviors out of you and you'll get your butt kicked if you don't live up to them has some merit.

From my experience, bullies tend to come from lousy environments but that has nothing to do with whether or not mom works. Some of the meanest people I know are products of a stay at home mom and some of the nicest children of working parents.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah, right. What parent gives even 4 hours a day to their kid?

Not these days--ship them off to day care, to activities, get them a TV and computer and game system for their rooms and keep them out of your sight as much as possible.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Yeah, right. What parent gives even 4 hours a day to their kid?

Not these days--ship them off to day care, to activities, get them a TV and computer and game system for their rooms and keep them out of your sight as much as possible.
What parent gave 4 hours a day to their kid 50 years ago? Send them out into the back 40 to play and have them do chores. The fact of the matter is, today, kids get MORE attention than kids did in the past. And it's a different kind. They're not doing farm chores under their parents supervision. Mom is now a cheerleader

The fact of the matter is, we don't work like our ancesters did. Don't mistake a parent at home as a parent who is engaged with the kids. In the past, she (usually the mom) was too busy washing clothes by hand, doing all the baking, curing meats, growing, harvesting, canning vegetables, milking the cow...etc, etc, etc...

Even in the, often, idolized 1950's mom didn't spend much time with her kids. Most of the time they were off playing.

Think about it. In the past, our foremothers were too busy with the work of running a household to be involved with their kids. Which explains why today's full time working mom has more time to spend with her kids than yesteryear's stay at home mom. Unfortunately, all this extra time doesn't seem to be helping kids.

But if you have the TV and computers in the same room, you can keep them IN your sight. Although it does get kind of silly when my daughther, who is sitting on the computer next to me, wants to chat on facebook, lol...or text me when we're sitting at the same table in a restaurant.

As to shipping kids off to daycare, I had more, meaningful conversations on the way home from day care than any other time with my kids. That car ride was time to catch up at the end of the day.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
per OP
the great damage is almost never what they did. the damage is we become what we hate.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 AM

4 hours a day spent on imparting knowledge from parent to child. This is how you sew, this is how you cook, this is how you work on a car, this is how you build a cabinet...

Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
4 hours a day spent on imparting knowledge from parent to child. This is how you sew, this is how you cook, this is how you work on a car, this is how you build a cabinet...
No one I grew up with had that luxury with their parents. I think that sadly is very outdated. Today kids are pushed to do after school activities, figure out what they want to do with their life earlier.

My son is working on an interesting project right now for his class. He had to interview his grandfather and ask him about what he did in the 4th grade (same grade as my son). It was amazing to hear how after school he would go home, do homework, chores, and hang with his family. No activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education