Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 AM

7,506 posts, read 11,271,372 times

Advertisements

What's your opinion on the use of the Singapore approach to math vs the American approach?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCse_E6K2Y

Results of Singapore math in Georgia.

gainesvilletimes.com - New curriculum helping Georgia students’ math scores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 AM

784 posts, read 2,722,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What's your opinion on the use of the Singapore approach to math vs the American approach?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCse_E6K2Y

Results of Singapore math in Georgia.

gainesvilletimes.com - New curriculum helping Georgia students’ math scores
Unusual but it works.

The real questions are:
  1. How will Singapore students solve math problems in the US when they arrive here for college?
  2. How deep does this go? Does it go beyond algebra?
  3. The SAT / ACT asks such problems such as "3X + 10 = 40, solve for X". How will the Singapore students tackle these problems without knowing how to solve for a single unknown variable?
It seems like this only works with word problems. I suppose the real test is when we see the results from the International Math Olympiads.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:46 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,945,899 times
We will be transitioning from Miquon Math third grade to Singapore Math fourth grade next year (we homeschool). The method shown is similar to how my third grader is learning math. Remember that this is a fifth grade math problem... fifth graders need to have a great "number sense," but they don't need algebra yet. Once they internalize mathematical concepts without relying on the crutch of memorized formulas (which can be forgotten), they can begin tackling algebra.

As for the example problem 3x+10=40, I'm pretty sure that my nine year old could solve that. He knows to subtract the 10 from each side and divide by three.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 AM

784 posts, read 2,722,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post

As for the example problem 3x+10=40, I'm pretty sure that my nine year old could solve that. He knows to subtract the 10 from each side and divide by three.
And what happens with the advanced algebra concepts? (Such as polynomials, quadratic equations, etc)

Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,353,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Unusual but it works.

The real questions are:
  1. How will Singapore students solve math problems in the US when they arrive here for college?
  2. How deep does this go? Does it go beyond algebra?
  3. The SAT / ACT asks such problems such as "3X + 10 = 40, solve for X". How will the Singapore students tackle these problems without knowing how to solve for a single unknown variable?
It seems like this only works with word problems. I suppose the real test is when we see the results from the International Math Olympiads.
Since my kids came up through singapore math, I'll tell you how. VERY WELL. Singapore introduces variables later but the logic of algebra early.

My daughter was in Singapore math from 2nd - 6th grades. She transferred schools this year. She was bored in 7th grade math so they tested her. She tested high enough to skip algebra if she wanted to but that would have resulted in her going to the high school to take math at the tender age of 11 so we put her in 8th grade honors math (honors algebra) and she's acing the class. So far, the material she didn't know already has been graph types. She did have to be shown how to use the distributive property but she only had to be shown once.

I'm sure there are things she did not see in Singapore math but it appears to have prepared her well for algebra.

My older daughter who was in the program until 8th grade, skipped algebra The school was unfamiliar with Singapore and asked us to bring in her math binder. They looked it over and said she'd had everything taught in algebra so they put her in 9th grade honors math which is a faster paced version of 10th grade geometry. Based on my experience, Singapore math prepares kids for algebra very, very well.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,353,964 times
Quote:
And what happens with the advanced algebra concepts? (Such as polynomials, quadratic equations, etc)
They are taught in algebra. Singapore math has an algebra component. I believe that's taught in 7th grade, however, my dd finised 6th grade Singapore math and tested high enough to skip algebra. I'm glad we chose for her not to because there were some holes BUT Singapore up to 6th grade was never intended to replace alegebra. Students are expected to take algebra.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Like I said, he's nine. It will all come in time. Third graders don't need to worry about polynomials and quadratic equations.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Since my kids came up through singapore math, I'll tell you how. VERY WELL. Singapore introduces variables later but the logic of algebra early.

My daughter was in Singapore math from 2nd - 6th grades. She transferred schools this year. She was bored in 7th grade math so they tested her. She tested high enough to skip algebra if she wanted to but that would have resulted in her going to the high school to take math at the tender age of 11 so we put her in 8th grade honors math (honors algebra) and she's acing the class. So far, the material she didn't know already has been graph types. She did have to be shown how to use the distributive property but she only had to be shown once.

I'm sure there are things she did not see in Singapore math but it appears to have prepared her well for algebra.

My older daughter who was in the program until 8th grade, skipped algebra The school was unfamiliar with Singapore and asked us to bring in her math binder. They looked it over and said she'd had everything taught in algebra so they put her in 9th grade honors math which is a faster paced version of 10th grade geometry. Based on my experience, Singapore math prepares kids for algebra very, very well.
Mark this date on your calendar; we agree on something having to do with education!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,644,857 times
A teacher can chime in but this looks like manipulatives. Elementary schools try to show this to kids and teach them this method, but as my wife says, you can't bust them out of your back pocket. It is like counting with your fingers its a crutch. I honestly prefer the Algebra way.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
A teacher can chime in but this looks like manipulatives. Elementary schools try to show this to kids and teach them this method, but as my wife says, you can't bust them out of your back pocket. It is like counting with your fingers its a crutch. I honestly prefer the Algebra way.
What does that even mean?

I'm sure it varies from child to child, but my son (third grade) can do almost all of his math mentally now, because he learned with manipulatives in the beginning to help him visualize and internalize mathematical concepts. It's not a case of manipulatives vs. algebra... by the time kids are ready for algebra, they're past the point of needing manipulatives. The video was from a fifth grade curriculum, not an eighth grade curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education