Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times

Advertisements

I'm considering having my boys participate in their school(public) Quest/TAG program. It's only a one day a week program. They will miss 1 day a week in their regular classroom, but will be required to make up the work.

Just wondering if anyone else have experience with this type of program. I'm wondering whether it would be worth the hassle. Does one day a week really make a difference? I don't know what all the program has to offer. I'm just a bit concerned that while he is being pulled out of class, he is actually missing material in his regular class. While I like my children to be challenged, I'm concerned that pulling them out of class might be more distracting than anything else. I'm also a little bit concerned about labeling and other children teasing them because they get pulled out.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
I'm considering having my boys participate in their school(public) Quest/TAG program. It's only a one day a week program. They will miss 1 day a week in their regular classroom, but will be required to make up the work.

Just wondering if anyone else have experience with this type of program. I'm wondering whether it would be worth the hassle. Does one day a week really make a difference? I don't know what all the program has to offer. I'm just a bit concerned that while he is being pulled out of class, he is actually missing material in his regular class. While I like my children to be challenged, I'm concerned that pulling them out of class might be more distracting than anything else. I'm also a little bit concerned about labeling and other children teasing them because they get pulled out.

Thanks
The distraction is not really the issue.

The labeling and teasing, unfortunately, can and will go on with or without the word gifted and with or without the pull out program. It is how the situation is handled by classroom teacher, etc., more than the specific program or label, that impacts the situation. (and your child's behavior.)

One day a week can either be a total band-aid, adding little or nothing, or it can be a life saver - and anywhere in the middle. The programs vary that widely - and even from year to year or teacher to teacher or kid to kid.

What makes it most worthwhile is the chance of finding other learners with whom he has more in common. I am in favor of taking a shot at it - but I would certainly talk to some of the other parents and kids who have been in it for a bit.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
In my area, the kids who aren't in the gifted pull out program are made fun of. I have had some moms say it's the best day of the week for their kid and other moms say it's just more homework. If you think they may get behind from missing one day a week in the regular classroom, then they may not really be qualified to be in the gifted program. Usually these are the kids who are well ahead of other kids and are very motivated to do school work in their free time - in addition to the kids who are in the program because their mom works at the school (cough, cough).

Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I cannot imagine one day a week making a difference. My son is pulled out of the class for a few different reason twice a week. Once a week IMO won't stick.

A perfect example was I signed the kids up for a language program, one day a week. The kids learned nothing. By the time the next class came around they had already forgotten what they learned.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I cannot imagine one day a week making a difference. My son is pulled out of the class for a few different reason twice a week. Once a week IMO won't stick.

A perfect example was I signed the kids up for a language program, one day a week. The kids learned nothing. By the time the next class came around they had already forgotten what they learned.
Language is very different from almost every other area of academic endeavor.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:

Thanks

My experience, with my kids, in our local district (note qualifiers: your county may do things differently), was that it was kind of pointless insofar as any actual education gained. There were a bunch of logic puzzles and projects, and some extra computer time. Three of my kids liked it (one dropped out because she thought it was silly, then went back because her friends were there).
What it ultimately is useful for here is access to advanced classes and programs inmiddle and high school. Most don't require a gifted label (one or two do), but it always helps.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
My oldest had a pull-out last year for a chunk of time daily and enjoyed it b/c it was small group - literally it was him and one or two other kids in his grade or the grade below him - working on projects together.

It gave him (and me) the opportunity to get to know the teacher in charge of the gifted education program and tap into her resources, knowledge, and experience. She got to work with him one-on-one, and was a valuable resource when he was having some social difficulties because she knew him well.

It was worth it for us. There is a new teacher this year and due to funding issues the program has changed (which is why the teacher is different) and its not as great. I agree with a previous poster that if it helps open up opportunities in middle school/high school, it is worth consideration.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
My oldest had a pull-out last year for a chunk of time daily and enjoyed it b/c it was small group - literally it was him and one or two other kids in his grade or the grade below him - working on projects together.

It gave him (and me) the opportunity to get to know the teacher in charge of the gifted education program and tap into her resources, knowledge, and experience. She got to work with him one-on-one, and was a valuable resource when he was having some social difficulties because she knew him well.
That sounds great. Here, it's closer to 50 kids and two teachers. The class is made up of all the eligible children in that grade, some bused in from other schools which don't have gifted programs of their own.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
I'm just a bit concerned that while he is being pulled out of class, he is actually missing material in his regular class.
Can you talk to his regular teacher about this? As has been mentioned I'm sure it's different from program to program but maybe the teacher can give you some reassurance on this point.

In my case I had one kid in a gifted pullout and one that was not. I was curious so I asked what the other kids did while the gifted kids went to their classes. (couple times a week here) I was told that new material was not introduced while the gifted kids were in pullout, the rest of the class simply did reinforcement activities and games to supplement regular classroom lessons.
For example the whole class would get new vocabulary words to learn each week, but while the gifted kids were gone the rest of the class might spend their time writing a story using their new vocabulary words. Or the teacher might go over a new math concept again to help reinforce the lesson for the kids that were struggling more. Or they got some extra time to work on book reports. Or they went to the 'nature lab' to see a bit of science in action, etc.
The gifted kids didn't miss anything new and the rest of the kids got a little extra 'boost' during that time.

I feel like we lucked into an exceptionally good school/program though, so YMMV

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Quote:
My experience, with my kids, in our local district (note qualifiers: your county may do things differently), was that it was kind of pointless insofar as any actual education gained. There were a bunch of logic puzzles and projects, and some extra computer time. Three of my kids liked it (one dropped out because she thought it was silly, then went back because her friends were there).
What it ultimately is useful for here is access to advanced classes and programs inmiddle and high school. Most don't require a gifted label (one or two do), but it always helps.
This is sort of what I was thinking, that the program at our school is more enrichment, rather than actual academics. I would be more interested in faster paced math and reading longer books and going more in depth in their normal curriculum, rather than the neat projects and cool field trips. Those kinds of things I would rather do with my children, outside of school, instead of missing a regular class day. I really like both my children's teachers and I'm just not sure missing class for "enrichment" is worth it. I have to supplement their core subjects on my own anyways.

However, it's the access to more advanced classes in middle school that I feel they may be closed out of, if I don't have them in this 1 day a week program. If honors in middle school is just as challenging, then I don't have a problem having them go that route, instead of the "gifted" route.

As far as the social aspect goes, it might help and hurt them at the same time. They get a chance to meet some more like minded friends, but possibly get alienated by their current classmates. This is the part that bothers me the most because I really can't predict how it'll go.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice. I know all programs are different, but it's nice to get as many perspectives as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education