Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,697,573 times

Advertisements

It's always clear and easy to identify those on the receiving end of all our school taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
It's always clear and easy to identify those on the receiving end of all our school taxes.
Yes, all. Your brilliance is blinding.

I hope you will continute to dazzle us with such meaningful, insightful contributions in this thread.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 PM

238 posts, read 669,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's a bare faced lie. This thread has done not much else than perpetuate ridiculous and completely untrue myths about special needs kids sucking the schools dry and leaving all the "gifted" kids bereft of an education.

Maybe we should just herd them all together like they did in Aushwitz and put them out of their misery? Would that make you all happy? Based on some of the posts in this thread it sure seems like that's crossed some minds. I've seen a lot of anecdotal exaggerations, but few actual facts regarding learning disabled students.

For those of you who find the laws regarding education so offensive and "unfair" - maybe you could get busy with changing the laws to suit your desires and beliefs instead of disparaging an entire sector of our nation's population behind the protection of your anonymity in an online forum.

For those who believe their gifted little Tommy or Susie should have become the next Sir Isaac Newton but instead ended up in a going-nowhere middle management job, stop looking to blame the LD kids and accept that your child is perhaps not exceptional; or perhaps they are, but they just weren't interested in taking advantage of their high IQs. The LD kids are not your scapegoats.

“The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the
dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the
aged; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy
and the handicapped."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
No it is not, I have a family member with two children. one autism and one ADD and they do receive SSI and Medicare for them both! so much in fact MY brother can be a stay at home mom. Plus hubby and I both work in public schools and do know .... Please do not call me a lier. I am not trying to be unsympathetic to these children quite the opposite, HOWEVER I stand by the fact that the parents should pay for their own kids NOT the government. If you decide to have them then be willing to accept that something can go wrong and have the resources to take care of them yourself.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,845,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
No it is not, I have a family member with two children. one autism and one ADD and they do receive SSI and Medicare for them both!
The fact that your family members receive SSI doesn't mean that ALL (or even most) Special Ed children do.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
No it is not, I have a family member with two children. one autism and one ADD and they do receive SSI and Medicare for them both! so much in fact MY brother can be a stay at home mom. Plus hubby and I both work in public schools and do know .... Please do not call me a lier. I am not trying to be unsympathetic to these children quite the opposite, HOWEVER I stand by the fact that the parents should pay for their own kids NOT the government. If you decide to have them then be willing to accept that something can go wrong and have the resources to take care of them yourself.
My apologies for calling you a lier[sic]; I was unaware that the two kids of YOUR brother,who can be a stay at home mom [sic], constitute "every kid that is classified as ADD, ADHD, autism, ect [sic]".

Since in your mind, your brother's two kids are in essence every kid that is classified as LD, what's the big deal about government contributing to their care and education?

If you work in education, then I hope it's behind the scenes and not interacting with kids. The fact that your attempt to justify your all-encompassing swipe at the parents of every LD child consists of one personal anecdotal incident just proves my earlier point - and for that I must actually thank you. Bravo! It sure makes it easier to see the intellectual failings of those who argue against children with learning disabilities receiving an education.

You claim that you stand by the "fact" that the parents should pay for their own kids, not the government. I have a feeling you need to research the meaning of "fact", and check it against the words "personal opinion". While you're at it, maybe you can read up on the "law", and see how it compares to "personal opinion" as well. Incidentally, have you demanded that your own family stop taking advantage of the government? And if you yourself were to become disabled, you would of course not request any state disabilty benefits, correct? Because that, of course, would be hypocrisy....

Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,697,573 times
Quote:
Yes, all. Your brilliance is blinding.

I hope you will continute to dazzle us with such meaningful, insightful contributions in this thread.
Quote:
My apologies for calling you a lier[sic]; I was unaware that the two kids of YOUR brother,who can be a stay at home mom [sic], constitute "every kid that is classified as ADD, ADHD, autism, ect [sic]".

Since in your mind, your brother's two kids are in essence every kid that is classified as LD, what's the big deal about government contributing to their care and education?
Please try to be a little less pompous. It isn't attractive. I hope you continute [sic] to dazzle us with your less than meaningful contribution in this thread.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,741,143 times
Quote:
Is it now.

I find your statement to be wrong at best, highly offensive at worst.

My daughter is brilliant in English...yet has Dyscalculia (math dyslexia). Since all of my attempts at getting her tested for math disability were ignored by school administrators until last year (her Junior year of HS), she is still trying to pass Algebra I and maybe graduate by the age of 19. Her school is not prepared to help her, but at this point I don't know what to do to help her.

Are you saying you'd be able to pick her out of a crowd of kids?

Since she's a posting member here, I'm sure she'd love to read your response.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Please try to be a little less pompous. It isn't attractive. I hope you continute [sic] to dazzle us with your less than meaningful contribution in this thread.
Wow, you found one misplaced letter in the hundreds of words I've written in this thread. Commendable. Please try to contribute something to the actual subject of the thread, instead of focusing on your fellow posters. It's a shame you apparently can't tell the difference between a typo, and three errors that the other author had no clue were erroneous. It makes your post look disingenuous and petty.

When someone has no actual rebuttal, they turn the subject of discussion into the other poster instead of the thread. Apparently your choice to point out my typo and the sharing of your opinion of my character (which, incidentally, I don't give a faint frog's fart about) with no valid point or argument is all you've got to counter all the pertinent information I provided in making my points. Do you care to discuss those?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:

If you work in education, then I hope it's behind the scenes and not interacting with kids. The fact that your attempt to justify your all-encompassing swipe at the parents of every LD child consists of one personal anecdotal incident just proves my earlier point - and for that I must actually thank you. Bravo! It sure makes it easier to see the intellectual failings of those who argue against children with learning disabilities receiving an education.

You claim that you stand by the "fact" that the parents should pay for their own kids, not the government. I have a feeling you need to research the meaning of "fact", and check it against the words "personal opinion". While you're at it, maybe you can read up on the "law", and see how it compares to "personal opinion" as well. Incidentally, have you demanded that your own family stop taking advantage of the government? And if you yourself were to become disabled, you would of course not request any state disabilty benefits, correct? Because that, of course, would be hypocrisy....
as a matter of fact, YES i have said something to him. As for myself, I have worked for 30 years, so Yes I do deserve SSI should I become disabled. You are missing the point. How would it be hypocrisy? If i have a disabled child its my problem, not the worlds problem. It was my choice to have children so my responsibility. Not yours nor anyone else's. As a matter of FACT yes in the classroom SPED!!!! have no problem posting the FACTS as soon as I pull them up.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Wow, you found one misplaced letter in the hundreds of words I've written in this thread. Commendable. Please try to contribute something to the actual subject of the thread, instead of focusing on your fellow posters. It's a shame you apparently can't tell the difference between a typo, and three errors that the other author had no clue were erroneous. It makes your post look disingenuous and petty.

When someone has no actual rebuttal, they turn the subject of discussion into the other poster instead of the thread. Apparently your choice to point out my typo and the sharing of your opinion of my character (which, incidentally, I don't give a faint frog's fart about) with no valid point or argument is all you've got to counter all the pertinent information I provided in making my points. Do you care to discuss those?
I think he / she was just pointing out you have a tude. It is / was not lost on me however l don't do the " tude" thing and what would be the point anyways, you have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing else to say Have a GREAT eve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education