Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 26,221 times

Advertisements

I'm 17 years old and I attend Athens Drive High School in Wake County. I'm on my second semester classes. My GPA right now is a weighted 1.75 and a unweighted 1.625 I know thats very poorly mainly due to the fact that I missed a lot of days due to illnesses. So far Im passing my classes with A's and B's and one C which I think I can raise to a B. I'm signing up for my senior classes next week and I plan on taking all honor and AP classes. Do taking AP classes boost up your GPA if you pass it with an A or B? and by how much? also does taking Honors classes boost up your GPA and by how much? Idk what the policy is for wake county but in some schools if you take an AP or honors class and pass it, they add a few points to your GPA. I'm hoping to have a GPA of atleast 3.0 by the end of my senior year next year. I want to attend a 4 year college. Is it possible for me to do so if I make all A's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I'd say ask the guidance counselor at your school about the weighting policy. But you may not simply be able to "take AP classes" with a 1.7 GPA; I imagine you need to be recommended for them by the teachers, and usually having at least a B in whatever subject is a prerequisite to get into Honors or AP courses, I think.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:45 PM

yeah I just set up an appointment with my guidance counselor,
at my school, their is teacher recommendations of which classes they think you should take, but even if you have a low GPA whichever classes you pick are your choice, so if you pick a higher lever class and think you can do the work but then fail it, thats your fault, but with me, doing the extra work and the extra studying isn't a problem, my GPA is low due to missing so many days the past 2 years and passing with low grades. But this year I have not missed any days so my grades are right on point. I wish to take Honor and AP classes to help boost up my GPA by next year, so its where I want it to be before I start applying for colleges.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM

100 posts, read 295,385 times
Wake County starts an A at 93, but it takes a 96 and above to get the 4.0 in a standard class, 5.0 in honors and 6.0 in AP.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaknowles View Post
yeah I just set up an appointment with my guidance counselor,
at my school, their is teacher recommendations of which classes they think you should take, but even if you have a low GPA whichever classes you pick are your choice, so if you pick a higher lever class and think you can do the work but then fail it, thats your fault, but with me, doing the extra work and the extra studying isn't a problem, my GPA is low due to missing so many days the past 2 years and passing with low grades. But this year I have not missed any days so my grades are right on point. I wish to take Honor and AP classes to help boost up my GPA by next year, so its where I want it to be before I start applying for colleges.
Well, good luck to you then; I still think you may have more trouble than you think getting into enough AP classes without the grades so far, although your reason for your GPA makes sense.

I also don't know that even straight As in AP classes would be enough to pull up your GPA as far as you want to. A more sensible approach might be to plan to go on the "5 year plan" and go an extra Senior year, spacing out what you need to graduate over an extra year. There is no shame in going to college a year later than "most", and your sanity would be much better

Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM

what is the 5 year plan?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
[URL="http://sbepolicy.dpi.state.nc.us/Policies/GCS-L-004.asp?Acr=GCS&Cat=L&Pol=004"]Wake County starts an A at 93[/URL], but it takes a 96 and above to get the 4.0 in a standard class, 5.0 in honors and 6.0 in AP.
so if I make above a 96 in all my 8 classes by the end of next year, I will be able to have atleast a 3.0?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
what is the 5 year plan?
get kept back and repeat a year. trust me, it's not the worst option in the world, esp. if you want to go to college. some schools even allow you to walk w/ your class if you plan to take extra classes in the summer and shoot to complete extra classes by winter. honestly, it may your only real option if you can't get into any AP classes or get an A within those classes.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
so if I make above a 96 in all my 8 classes by the end of next year, I will be able to have atleast a 3.0?
Here's one way to figure it if you took the same number of credits each semester, and if they all count the same:

5 semesters of 1.75
1 semester of 3.5
2 semesters of 5.0 (high grades in those honors and AP classes!)

5 times 1.75 =
1 times 3.5 =
2 times 5 =

Divide this total number of points by 8 (for eight semesters).

Raising your GPA during your senior year won't help much with college admissions, as they will make their decisions before you will make the grades. Can you stay in high school an extra year? Or start at a community college?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM

21 posts, read 160,084 times
I am in college right now and when I was in high school, if you sign up for an AP course, you must take the AP exam at the end of the year. Make sure you take that into consideration.

Also, since you will be a senior next year, you will likely only report 1 semester of senior grades to colleges by the time you send out yours applications. You might not even report your senior grades at all if you do early admissions.

Also, it is always possible to attend a less well know college for 1 or 2 years then transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education