Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times

Advertisements

My deepest sympathies, frog. We've been through the layoff-and-lousy-economy thing this year, too, and it's no fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 AM

238 posts, read 668,735 times
so sorry,

however you are not alone. husband just told last Friday!

State of Georgia
Forsyth County
10 years in experience
in special education
2 years Lumpkin
2 years Forsyth
6 years Zephyrhills Florida
Masters Degree
Highly Qualified (NCLB)
k-12

we are native Floridians and do have connections in Florida so that is where we are headed this June.

Good Luck to you..........

Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
I was pink slipped at the end of last year in Yuma, AZ. I still have yet to find a job. I am ready to give up and change careers because the elementary teaching job market was never good even before the recession.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 PM

432 posts, read 760,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
so sorry,

State of Georgia
Forsyth County
10 years in experience
in special education
2 years Lumpkin
2 years Forsyth
Masters Degree
Highly Qualified (NCLB)
k-12

we are native Floridians and do have connections in Florida so that is where we are headed this June.

Georgia's getting bad, isn't it? Teacher flight from this state is just around the corner.

10 years? Special ed? Master's? That sucks. The only think I can think of is that a new graduate would be cheaper to hire on.

Luck to both of you.

Cheers from Dekalb County, BTW.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Georgia's getting bad, isn't it? Teacher flight from this state is just around the corner.

10 years? Special ed? Master's? That sucks. The only think I can think of is that a new graduate would be cheaper to hire on.

Luck to both of you.

Cheers from Dekalb County, BTW.
Yep thats what I see too. Any teacher under 3 years in all Forsyth Schools are being let go. 21 just at his school so if every Forsyth School has to lay off 15% thats 21 teachers per school depending on how many teachers are in that school. I Substitute in this county and you would not believe all the cert teachers that are doing this due to no positions. Guess there will be none for next year either.

Dekalb is closing half its schools, aren't they? Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, Lumpkin,Forsyth so far. Don't Know bout Cherokee but we are ready to go home anyway.

His classes were small 7 kids for 3 periods and co taught 2 so his are easy to absorb into other classes plus he is only on year 2 with them.

He said his Principal just hated having to have the talk, she was stressed about the whole thing. she even has to let an AP go too

Thanks for the Good Lucks.........

Old 03-18-2010, 02:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
It will take decades for education to recover from all of this. Even when the economy recovers the scars will be there and the ability to recruit and hire new highly capable teachers crippled.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Got my letter yesterday after school. At least mine was afterwards. I ran into a gal who had to leave work to go to HR during the school day today to get hers and then return to work. She had been with the school for 10 yrs.
So, let's sign here and everytime you see a new name- say a prayer.

So sorry to hear...weren't you at an alternative type school?

I experienced

it a year ago in Michigan..

Special Education -- Emotional Impaired
15 years
2 in a supervisory position

NCLB HQ

Was fortunate to find a position in NC within 3 weeks of being laid off in Michigan.

What is happening to education?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 AM

153 posts, read 380,692 times
I found out Monday morning during a punk move by my principal. She had someone from HR to come to the school to meet with us. I'm assuming that they thought I might become a little "emotional". I had a rebuttal for all of my evaluations (except for the first one that yielded all satisfactory checked boxes). I just came to this school at the end of Sept. (displaced from another).

I work in Gwinnett County, Ga. We are the state's largest school system. They are handling this in an underhanded way. I gently told the lady from HR that I was not surprised by this move due to the recent events of this school year. What I did not agree with is the manner in which it was done. DO NOT make it difficult for me to find employment elsewhere because you need to justify why I was let go. I had 18 needs improvements...nitpicked to the bone in 4 months as opposed to 1 in a 10 yr period. Never any feedback and I have maintained ALL of my documentation of this school year. I decided to resign instead of a hearing because I trust NO ONE!...I will attached all and I mean ALL (emails, notes, evaluations, etc) to my end of the year evaluation in a few days.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:18 AM

153 posts, read 380,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
so sorry,

State of Georgia
Forsyth County
10 years in experience
in special education
2 years Lumpkin
2 years Forsyth
Masters Degree
Highly Qualified (NCLB)
k-12

I understand that totally!! This is yr 14 for me. I have a Master's degree and will be adding the Special Ed endorsement to my certification in a few weeks.

I want to teach in Florida (I have for yrs). Any leads for me? Areas to look?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 AM

Sorry to hear the way they are treating you. At least our county was not like that. If anything they( admin) were upset and gave glowing evals !

Its a crap shoot in Fl really. It will depend, he is applying all over Fl.

I do know S.C. is looking for a lot of SPED teachers. That will be our backup if Fl does not come through.
Try jobsdirectories.info
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education