U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,006,381 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm in my 40s (but youthful) and pursuing a lifelong dream to study Spanish abroad. I majored in Spanish in college and can read & write but would like to eventually become fluent. I would like to spend about 1 month in an immersion program that also has a cultural education component (i.e., living w/ a host family, excursions, etc.). I'm thinking about doing this in November.

I am African-American and would like to study in a country that has an Afro-Latino population, as I am very interested in the culture. Also, a program that isn't geared to the traditional aged college student would be best for me.

Friends have suggested Costa Rica and Ecuador. I've been advised to stay away from Mexico.

I welcome your suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 PM

10,346 posts, read 19,217,318 times
I've heard that Antiqua, Guatemala has a good program, and if you go to south America, you will find many people in Venezuela and Brazil that have an Afro-Latino background. Others likely do too, but I'm not sure which ones. I would think that Mexico would be fine if you stay away from the border towns, but you can always google travel warnings and advisories. BootsnAll Travel Network :: Travel Community, Travel Stories, Cheap Tickets, Youth Hostels and all your travel needs has a lot of info also. Good luck--I'm jealous.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,613,566 times
I've heard good things about Antigua as well. Ecuador or Costa Rica would also be good choices, although, like everywhere, there are good towns and bad towns. San Jose, CR gets a bad rap.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,479,847 times
Antigua is lovely but you will not find a significant Afro-Latino population. I would focus on The Dominican Republic:
Afro-Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM

61,303 posts, read 81,364,854 times
i love mexico.
total immersion is only way to go and do it while you are young. dont look at anything in english and stay away from your american friends. painful brutal but effective, less than a year will do ya.
been there done that 2 times-- two languages-- two countries.--- alice thru the looking glass put your hands out and step thru.
btw if you are 40-- odds are against you, i was 20. more pain and longer if older.
figure double.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i love mexico.
total immersion is only way to go and do it while you are young. dont look at anything in english and stay away from your american friends. painful brutal but effective, less than a year will do ya.
been there done that 2 times-- two languages-- two countries.--- alice thru the looking glass put your hands out and step thru.
Well, I'm not a newbie. I studied Spanish in middle school, high school and was a Spanish major in college (9 years total). Over the years I didn't speak much but my command of vocabulary and grammar is still strong. I do written translations better than the native speakers at my job!

BTW, I work with ESL students and some speak no English so having a good command of spoken Spanish is important. My trouble is that I know the vocabulary but my verb conjugation response time is slow.

I only have time for a brief immersion right now but I think it'll be enough to stimulate the tongue and I'll have every day at work to continue practicing when I get home. I can always go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
btw if you are 40-- odds are against you, i was 20. more pain and longer if older. figure double.
Wow, you act as if 40 is ancient . Age poses no barriers for me. I went to grad school at 38 and graduated with honors at 41. In addition, I'm still active (ski, bike ride) and I'm more dedicated to becoming bilingual more than I was in college!!!

I've narrowed it down to the National Registration Center for Study Abroad (NRCSA) in Costa Rica or the Dominican Republic. Hope to go next month!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've heard that Antiqua, Guatemala has a good program, and if you go to south America, you will find many people in Venezuela and Brazil that have an Afro-Latino background. Others likely do too, but I'm not sure which ones. I would think that Mexico would be fine if you stay away from the border towns, but you can always google travel warnings and advisories. BootsnAll Travel Network :: Travel Community, Travel Stories, Cheap Tickets, Youth Hostels and all your travel needs has a lot of info also. Good luck--I'm jealous.
Doesn't Brazil speak Portuguese?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Doesn't Brazil speak Portuguese?
Yes.

Antigua & Barbuda is a self governing state in political union (Commonwealth realm) with the United Kingdom hence they speak English. The poster was referring to Antigua, Guatemala - an old city from the Spanish colonial era.

I would suggest Puerto Rico except for the fact that they speak their own version of Spanish that incorporates Spanglish. Also, most Puerto Ricans speak at least some English due to the island's status as a US territory. Not to mention that Latin American Spanish is totally different from Spain Spanish.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Antigua & Barbuda is a self governing state in political union (Commonwealth realm) with the United Kingdom hence they speak English. The poster was referring to Antigua, Guatemala - an old city from the Spanish colonial era.
The poster suggested Brazil as well, and Brazil speaks Portuguese.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks but I want to learn Spanish, not Portuguese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education