Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 PM

430 posts, read 918,984 times

Advertisements

Too bad I can't edit the OP anymore. What I'd like to add is, it might be advisable for middle and high schools to provide some selective and simple course to the effect of "Computer Fundamentals"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh..then they are probably just high...lol

My links are not blue. They are purple..by my doing.

I think how user friendly computers have become don't really do much for learning how to use them to the fullest potential. Remember having to use multiple disks to even turn the thing on?!
These newbs would probably drop dead if they had to do that and then deal with run commands. LOL

What I find really funny is if you tell someone like this a puter fixing tip blab: "reinstall your drivers" and you get replies like:"drivers? I did not use screwdrivers? I only used these disks" And then you yank the one out that says: "DRIVERS" on it. LOL
Well, an instruction like the following shouldn't be too much for any literate.
Data Backup Instruction
1. Insert a flash drive into your computer.
2. Click here.

Is it?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 PM

kodaka,

"The blue hyperlink is kind of old school. Most websites nowadays use flash or graphics, you rarely just see a text hyperlink. So I can understand younger users not recognizing that as a 'rule'. "
Interesting point.

"of netbooks, which don't have installed applications at all but rely entirely upon web-based programs, "
This is not true.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Too bad I can't edit the OP anymore. What I'd like to add is, it might be advisable for middle and high schools to provide some selective and simple course to the effect of "Computer Fundamentals"...
Teaching computer componentry, programming, or other fundamentals is about as relevant today as teaching auto repair. Public schools are not vocational schools. They are supposed to be providing a general, well-rounded education. Teaching of trades do not fit in that. Even a student interested in computer repair or programming would require more education in that specialty than a high school could provide, and those programs will assume that all students know nothing about the subject when they start.

For everyone else, all you really need to know is how to google a problem, error message or other topic, and how to call for service.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-10-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM

kodaka, "Computer Fundamentals" (ball park estimate would be 5 to 10 hours total), and computer programming totally different cup of tea. And why? critical skill !

With the latter, it's an extremely complex undertaking, intelligent people with relevant training and constant learning still find it challenging for doing it exceedingly well even after 10 years, 15 years...

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
kodaka, "Computer Fundamentals" (ball park estimate would be 5 to 10 hours total), and computer programming totally different cup of tea. And why? critical skill !

With the latter, it's an extremely complex undertaking, intelligent people with relevant training and constant learning still find it challenging for doing it exceedingly well even after 10 years, 15 years...
Alright then, what would you include in a class called 'computer fundamentals' other than backing up data and setting window preferences. And why are these things that a school needs to teach instead of something a student needs to learn on their own time?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I teach a Basic Internet Research class to seniors mostly in the age range of 68 - 85. I think they retired from the workforce before computers got to be commonplace. They have them in their homes because a spouse uses one. Logging on, Windows menus, website navigation, downloading, how to use a mouse, scrolling --- all new to them. I assumed they all used e-mail on a regular basis and would be familiar with menus and navigation and all I would be teaching was how to research the web, videos, images and news. Doesn't everyone get e-mails with links in them? I assumed wrong. The sad thing is, if they become less physically mobile, they'd probably enjoy the interaction from their respective homes and their lives could be so much easier if they had quick access to information.

For your students:

1. Take them on a trip to the Control Panel.
2. Their home computer is probably not part of a network like their school and workplace computer would be so teach them something about functioning in a network environment.
3. Security.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
We had a required computer class in my high school (and this was 10 years ago). You learned Microsoft Office, typing, and basic Mac software. It was the easiest class I'd ever taken because I knew how to do all of it already. I took all the proficiency tests the first week and then played Oregon Trail the rest of the semester . . . pure bliss.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Not news to me since I used to teach college students computer literacy. What was even more disheartening, was their inability to write a grammatically correct sentence.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post

Programming is interesting. A class mate of mine was terrified about C, but he easily mastered Java and became TA !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education