Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times

Advertisements

What kind of teacher/student encouragement is this? Teacher says he is trying to "relate" to his students. Absolute hogwash. Some people say they back his form of teaching but wouldn't go on camera. To me that is hearsay. Any person who backs that as productive is insane. This is the kind of thing children say to each other. NOT teachers to students. What happened to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? What would you do if this happened to your child?

Yahoo!

Last edited by shroombeanie; 03-13-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: added to title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,686 times
no teacher has the right to call a child a looser...if this happened to my child,God save the teacher,he would get a never forgetable lesson from me...i would made all the steps possible against him and make it public...

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Someone in this child's life needs to step in. As a parent of this "loser," I would rip this teacher apart. Then, I would seek an explanation because there might be a point, still no excuse. Then I would seek termination of employment. But, I would want my child to use this as a motivational tool, and to know, not all adults are snow white. Plus, it could provide some valiuable insight in the world, and see that adulthood is not all peaches and cream.

Coincidentally, this actually happened to me. My elementary school teacher said "everyday that I see him I know its a bad day," which meant everyday, because she was my home room teacher. Of course, the statement did hurt my feelings and crushed me, I think I was 10. Later in life, I decided to use her statement as a motivational tool to prove her wrong. Those words re-played in my head several times. About 10+ years passed, I achieved a significant milestone, so I decided to came by the old school to prove that I can do good. It was great therapy for me and was very useful to help me fight through challenges. But sadly, my teacher's obervation of me, turned out to be something more about her than me. She actually aged into a rude, grumpy, unhappy old lady.

That's why, I would seek employment termination. The teacher's statement might issues with her or him. As a teacher, personal problems should not ever cross into the classroom, like my teacher.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Here is proof that all teachers need to be replaced by robots, so no child will ever be influenced by the personality characteristics of an imperfect human being.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Default Nice point, but

Quick list of characteristics to be an effective teacher.

1. The three characteristics of an effective teacher are: has good classroom management skills teaches for mastery has positive expectations for student success.
2. Your expectations of your students will greatly influence their achievement in your class and in their lives.
3. Treat students as though they already are what they can be, and you help them to be capable of becoming what they will be.

Mod cut - copyright. links and SNIPPETS please.

JTUR88, I would love to see your Line 16. Otherwise, reasonable, logical, characteristics continue within the attached link.
http://www.thebusyeducator.com/harrywong.htm

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-19-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
This 'teacher' should not be in the profession of teaching.

Teaching means to encourage, to set by example, to praise that which is praiseworthy and to explain that which is not--and why.

To call a child--or anyone else, a 'loser' is beyond the pale, IMHO, and this 'teacher' should be barred from the profession before more students are harmed.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
This 'teacher' should not be in the profession of teaching.

Teaching means to encourage, to set by example, to praise that which is praiseworthy and to explain that which is not--and why.

To call a child--or anyone else, a 'loser' is beyond the pale, IMHO, and this 'teacher' should be barred from the profession before more students are harmed.
Nobody's perfect. I'd rather have teachers who are enthusiastic to deviate from the norm, rather than afraid to. You'll drive away thousands of good teachers if you punish them for daring to do what they think will be effective educational tools.

Teachers are professionals, who know how to do their job, and who can often improvise. Let them. Nobody expects them, to be right every time.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
What kind of teacher/student encouragement is this? Teacher says he is trying to "relate" to his students. Absolute hogwash. Some people say they back his form of teaching but wouldn't go on camera. To me that is hearsay. Any person who backs that as productive is insane. This is the kind of thing children say to each other. NOT teachers to students. What happened to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? What would you do if this happened to your child?

Yahoo!
I like a hard-line approach to teaching but this was over the line. Don't call the kid names.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post

Yahoo!
^^^^^^^Dead link.

Is Teacher Rex Roland the Biggest Loser? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,403 times
I think that the teachers actions should definitely be discussed. He/she may have lost common sense or have misdirected intentions. That is up to that teacher/parents association to call it to attention. That they discuss it and make a better teacher is obvious. Teachers should be encouraged, supported and offered continuous improvement opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education